Clown's Twin 10 Gallon Caridina Shrimp Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Clown's Twin 10 Gallon Caridina Shrimp Tanks

So I just picked up a couple 10 gallon tanks from Petco. I will be starting a new project for these tanks. Both of these tanks will have Caridina shrimp. One will be a cull tank for my CRS that are breeding like crazy in my 20 gallon tank. Tank journal for that one can be found in my sig. The second one will be for Blue Bolts(Caridina cf Cantonesis)(Blue King Kongs). Each tank will have the same exact paramaters. I will be using Controsoil for both tanks to keep the PH where it needs to be. I will be remineralizing RO water with Salty Shrimp GH+. I already have the lights and filters. For the lights I have a Finnex stingray and for the other a Beamswork DA FSPEC. I will be dimming the FSPEC as these will be low tech and full light with the FSPEC is bound to bring too much algae. This has worked well on my 20 gallon CRS tank. The Stingray is already low enough that it should not cause issues. For the plants they will be low light low demanding plants that include Mosses, Ferns, and Buce's. For the filters I already have two AquaClear HOB's. One is a 50 and one a 70. They are fine as I can slow down the flow of them if need be. I was already using the 70 on my 20 gallon before I got the Fluval 206 for that. I will be using sponge guards for the intake's. The good thing about this project is I already have everything I need except for the Controsoil which I will be getting soon. So all I have now is a pic of the two tanks as nothing is setup yet. Once I get the Controsoil I will begin to cycle the tanks which should go pretty fast. I will use some media from my existing cycled tanks which will greatly speed up the process.

I cannot wait to get this going as it will help me keep my high grade CRS in my main 20 gallon and also will allow me to get some Blue Bolts which I have wanted for a long time.

Aqua99, Aqua99, StevieD and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
So I just picked up a couple 10 gallon tanks from Petco. I will be starting a new project for these tanks. Both of these tanks will have Caridina shrimp. One will be a cull tank for my CRS that are breeding like crazy in my 20 gallon tank. Tank journal for that one can be found in my sig. The second one will be for Blue Bolts(Caridina cf Cantonesis)(Blue King Kongs). Each tank will have the same exact paramaters. I will be using Controsoil for both tanks to keep the PH where it needs to be. I will be remineralizing RO water with Salty Shrimp GH+. I already have the lights and filters. For the lights I have a Finnex stingray and for the other a Beamswork DA FSPEC. I will be dimming the FSPEC as these will be low tech and full light with the FSPEC is bound to bring too much algae. This has worked well on my 20 gallon CRS tank. The Stingray is already low enough that it should not cause issues. For the plants they will be low light low demanding plants that include Mosses, Ferns, and Buce's. For the filters I already have two AquaClear HOB's. One is a 50 and one a 70. They are fine as I can slow down the flow of them if need be. I was already using the 70 on my 20 gallon before I got the Fluval 206 for that. I will be using sponge guards for the intake's. The good thing about this project is I already have everything I need except for the Controsoil which I will be getting soon. So all I have now is a pic of the two tanks as nothing is setup yet. Once I get the Controsoil I will begin to cycle the tanks which should go pretty fast. I will use some media from my existing cycled tanks which will greatly speed up the process.

I cannot wait to get this going as it will help me keep my high grade CRS in my main 20 gallon and also will allow me to get some Blue Bolts which I have wanted for a long time.

Looks good! I started a 10 gallon PRL tank a while back..... Only have had the shrimp in there a couple weeks....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

Cool stuff clown. What shelving are you using ?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfish2020 View Post
Cool stuff clown. What shelving are you using ?

That's the shelves in the garage. The tanks are sitting there for now. Will not be using the shelves though. The tanks will be inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
That's the shelves in the garage. The tanks are sitting there for now. Will not be using the shelves though. The tanks will be inside.

Are you building a rack for them or ?.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any CO2 or metricide? I just rehomed the occupants of my 11.4. Its totally cycled and ready, but I'm going to clean it up and tear out all the stems. Ive only had Red cherry shrimp before and they bred like crazy, but Tigers and CRS didn't survive in my tank water. I was thinking of draining 95% of the water and using RO and remineralizing. Is there a standard amount of whatever to get the perameters right for blue bolts?? I really want to do carbon Rilis or blue bolts. Ive got a little yeast reactor setup with a valve and 2 2 liter bottle on it now.
What perameters are you shooting for? Id appreciate as much detail as you could provide
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Any CO2 or metricide? I just rehomed the occupants of my 11.4. Its totally cycled and ready, but I'm going to clean it up and tear out all the stems. Ive only had Red cherry shrimp before and they bred like crazy, but Tigers and CRS didn't survive in my tank water. I was thinking of draining 95% of the water and using RO and remineralizing. Is there a standard amount of whatever to get the perameters right for blue bolts?? I really want to do carbon Rilis or blue bolts. Ive got a little yeast reactor setup with a valve and 2 2 liter bottle on it now.
What perameters are you shooting for? Id appreciate as much detail as you could provide
No co2 or metricide. Will just be using ThriveS for these tanks. It will be as low tech as possible really. Like I said low demanding plants is all and low light. My plan is to keep these tanks simple and efficent for Caridina. The Blue Bolts parameters are going to be the same as the CRS. You really need to keep them in the optimal range to be able to thrive. Or you will find out real fast they will not make it.

PH 6.5
GH 5
KH 0
Nitrates 5ppm
Temp 72
tds 150-180.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfish2020 View Post
Are you building a rack for them or ?.

Not sure what I will do. Will probably just get a couple stands or maybe one that will hold both tanks. They both will be right next to eachother. I may search Craigslist. Trying to keep this as cheap as possible.
Dfish2020 and Dfish2020 like this.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 06:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Subbed. Have seen you around in all the shrimp topics lately and I myself have just started cycling a 20L with Amazonia. Hoping to keep my shrimp in more optimal conditions now that I have an RO unit. Looking forward to your progress and plans for the setup.

- Mark W.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Clown's Twin 10 Gallon Caridina Shrimp Tanks

Ok so a little update. Went to Walmart and picked up a couple stands. Again think functional here . So I figure I will use my Beamswork Fspec 48" light that will cover both the tanks. So both tanks will be nearly identical. Except one has the AQ70 and one has the AQ50. Both overkill I know. Had these from before. What I love about these filters is lots of room for media and also can slooooooooooooow the floooooooooow . Next will fill with regular ol tap water and just cycle. I am in no hurry as it will be a good month or two before I will add any shrimp to them. So just will do the old ammonia cycle.

So what is so awesome about this is as you can see the tanks are right next to my work desk at home which I get to work at 90% of the time. How killer is that.

sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
This is going to be a good thread I can tell How bright is the light? I'm doing almost the same thing you are but I have a dhl 6500k I was thinking about using. Was kind of worried it may be too much on the 10gals though.Im also going the low light route and only planning on mini pelia, some moss and maybe a flamino crypt or something.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy1 View Post
This is going to be a good thread I can tell How bright is the light? I'm doing almost the same thing you are but I have a dhl 6500k I was thinking about using. Was kind of worried it may be too much on the 10gals though.Im also going the low light route and only planning on mini pelia, some moss and maybe a flamino crypt or something.

This is the DA FSPEC 10,000k. I have the DHL on my 60 gallon. This one I had laying around from when I did the par readings for the different beamswork lights. It most definitely will be too much light for these tanks. Easily fixable though with this dimmer. Current USA Truelumen Inline Dimmer for 12 and 24-Volt LED Strip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FC04I8..._WILLzbJ08EQP1

The dimmer works for both the Beamswork DHL and FSPEC. I have one on my 20 gallon that brought the par down from 80 to now 40.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thanks for the link. Ive got a few tanks that could benefit from a dimmer!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well it has been a few days since I updated these tanks journal but really not much going on. Well I did get the Controsoil in the tanks. I got a single 10L bag that gave me 1 1/2" of substrate in each tank and want 2" so I ordered another 3L bag that will get split for the two tanks that should give me 2" that I want. As you can see they really are twins. Whats funny is you really cannot see in the pic but the two temps are exactly the same at 81.5f right now. I have heaters in them to help speed the cycle a bit. And the TDS in the left tank is 146 and in the right tank is 147. Both GH are 6.5 with KH 0. Both PH are 6.2. Its funny because I never really thought how they really would be twins but apparently they are. Maybe I am taking it a bit too far? Well I figure that the two will have species that have the exact same parameters so why not. Its just funny that anything I do on one I do on the other like a water tests, water changes, each one has a pot with a bamboo plant. The only thing that is different between the two is one has an AQ70 and the other has an AQ50. Well I will not bore you anymore.
Lousyweather and Lousyweather like this.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 10:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Well it has been a few days since I updated these tanks journal but really not much going on. Well I did get the Controsoil in the tanks. I got a single 10L bag that gave me 1 1/2" of substrate in each tank and want 2" so I ordered another 3L bag that will get split for the two tanks that should give me 2" that I want. As you can see they really are twins. Whats funny is you really cannot see in the pic but the two temps are exactly the same at 81.5f right now. I have heaters in them to help speed the cycle a bit. And the TDS in the left tank is 146 and in the right tank is 147. Both GH are 6.5 with KH 0. Both PH are 6.2. Its funny because I never really thought how they really would be twins but apparently they are. Maybe I am taking it a bit too far? Well I figure that the two will have species that have the exact same parameters so why not. Its just funny that anything I do on one I do on the other like a water tests, water changes, each one has a pot with a bamboo plant. The only thing that is different between the two is one has an AQ70 and the other has an AQ50. Well I will not bore you anymore.
I am really curious to see if the cycle is the same as well.....

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousyweather View Post
I am really curious to see if the cycle is the same as well.....

Well I guess we will never find out as they are both fully cycled. I guess I just didn't want to wait anymore. The benefits of having an extra filter that is fully cycled.

So my 60 gallon high tech tank has a Fluval fx4 and a fluval 306. Now the 306 is just used mainly for co2 and an inline heater. Well I always have bio media in it so the media is fully cycled. Well I took the two trays of media and put them in the two 10 gallon filters and just happen to be the perfect amount. Trust me there will be no BB issue in the 60 as the fx4 has more than enough. This is why it's so great running a dedicated filter for co2 that has media in it that is always ready to use for whatever. In this case the two 10 gallons.

So today was a very busy day. Getting 20 gallons of RO prepped water done. Getting the additional substrate that now gives me 2" of Controsoil which is exactly what I wanted. Got the cycled media in the tanks. Filled with the new water. Planted a couple anubias plants that I took from the 60 gallon. Then I covered the hob filter intakes with the sponges that will keep any from getting sucked in. So all in all a very productive day

So my plan is as soon as one of the 10's is ready which should be in less than a week I will move some of the high grade SS CRS into the 10. I will leave the 20 long as a cull tank for the CRS. And the other 10 will be for only Blue Bolts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode