Tank build 37T with photos photos photos. - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank build 37T with photos photos photos.

Hi New to this forum. All advise will be appreciated. Picked up all this stuff at Tongs in Fountain Valley CA on their BIG Sale weekend. 10 to 25% off. The size of this tank is perfect for the spot I want it in my home.
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	781097[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Bump: Pic of tank location no water or substrate

Bump:

Bump:

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	781089  

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	781105  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	781113

Bump: My plan is to have a heavily planted tank. I have been watching u-tube vids and reading stuff on this forum for several weeks. CO2 system on order. I would Love it to turn out like the green machine videos.

How is the best way to black the back of the tank. I was thinking to paint the back and left side black. Any pros and cons.

Boiled the wood for a few hrs last night it is now soaking in a tub in the back yard,

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	781129[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0339.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	781121  

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What a great wife! Didnít complain about boiling my wood in her kitchen. We were out of propane for the outdoor burner I normally use for this large pot. HAHAHA boiled the wood for about an hour it is now soaking outside.

odd that some of my pics get turned sideways when I post them.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to say m8, but that light isnít going to be nearly enough to grow anything but mosses and maybe some Java Fern. The instruction manual states 15 Par @ 12Ē deep, and thatís only directly below the fixture. At 22Ē deep, that tank is going to be very difficult to light the substrate without completely blasting the upper half of the tank.
Ocpoolguy and Ocpoolguy like this.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow thats sad! do you think a different light will work or is a Tall tank just not a go for planted tanks?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anything is possible, even very tall planted tanks, but it’s much, much more difficult. Google the “Inverse Square Law”, and check out the images for an easy interpretation. It’s much easier to understand if you see it in action vs trying to understand from text. Basically, the inverse square law reads that if you increase the distance from a light source, the light intensity will decrease by the square of the distance moved. So, in math terms: if you have 15 PAR at 1 ft, if you move to 2 ft your PAR is cut to only 25% intensity, or 3.75 PAR. This is next to nothing, and will barely grow moss.

The reason I say it’s possible is that you can always compensate by getting a bigger light, but it will throw things really out of whack at the top of the tank. If you want to shoot for 30 PAR at the substrate, you need to have 120 PAR at 1 ft depth and likely well over 240 PAR at the surface. This adds a whole new set of variables like pressurized CO2, dosing fertilizers, water movement, oxygenation, and lots of other more advanced subjects. The long story short, deep tanks are a pain in the neck.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jellopuddinpop; 08-14-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: I wrote like a speak, with a potty mouth =(
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Return the light if you can. A good light that I would recommend but is pricier that the one you have is the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0. May be more light than what you need but it can be dimmed. Another option that's cheaper are some of the Beamswork lights that can be purchased through eBay or Amazon. @jeffkrol would be the Beamswork guru for choosing the correct one.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

Just a noob

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You'll probably have a tougher time making a tall tank look nice. Height is generally wasted space for planted tanks and cichlid tanks. It all about the footprint. I'd return that tank and light honestly. 24" tall and as wide and deep as you can do. As far as light NLewis hit it on the head.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your advice on the lighting. I have ordered the Fluval Fresh and Plant on Amazon Prime 120 bucks. Rather than returning the other light I have come up with the idea of tethering it to the tank to provide the needed light deep in the tank. My idea is it can be as it is in the picture for growing and quickly and easily placed on top of the tank for viewing. Kinda off the wall HAHA but I think it may work.

I have ordered CO2 regulator and bubble counter from amazon. Figured I would pick up a CO2 bottle at the local keg store. I would love some advice on an CO2 diffuser.

Totally new to the planted tank thing I am sure I can make it happen. I have previously kept a 125-reef tank for years. When the hobby became a chore out went the tank.

Bump:

Bump:

Bump: another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	781225  

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

Tank build 37T with photos photos photos.

Well, I give you points on creativity, for sure- I am not sure how happy you will be with that long term, though. It will really get in the way of your viewing.

What I would recommend instead, in addition to the Fluval light, is using some rocks to build up the back half of the tank 4-5" at least. Plant all of your plants back there, and on the upper half of the wood you got. Planting a carpet just won't be an option with this tank as others have mentioned.

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:14 AM
Planted Member

BTW- I am in So CA, too. Tong's is a great store- so is CK Fishworld in Azusa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Are you handy, do you enjoy some DIY? If so look into making your own reactor for Co2 diffusion. I prefer reactors over the in tank diffusers because they're more efficient and you don't get all those micro bubbles floating around the tank. The 2 styles predominantly made are the Rex Griggs and the Cerges reactors. They're should be a few guides on the forum and the web to walk you through the build.

Just a noob

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any help with a CO2 diffuser? brand and type.

Bump: Thanks Nlewis I will look at that
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Again nlewis tubed it and first vid I saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DizERmyI0 I have most of the parts I need in my truck haha Just wondering if that filter I have will move enough water to make it work. I should know for sure soon enough.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not sure with the Eheim 2211. I have a 2217 on a 40b as I always go bigger with my filtration.

I'm not sure that's the best design to follow in that video but will work. @burr740 should be able to shoot a picture of one of his he built for you. When you do build it, make sure you install a ball valve on the outflow of the reactor in order to create some back pressure.

Just a noob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode