The Planted Tank Forum banner

Uns 3n

6K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Tnalp 
#1 ·
I would like to start off by explaining why I make multiple tank journals for my tanks rather than all in one threads. When I was first lurking the hobby there was an array of tank sizes by multiple companies. What I found most helpful was when I would stumble across a journal with the exact tank I was contemplating. A clean reference in other words. I hope my builds will help others looking into the tanks I have thus far.

With that said, my birthday is a few days away. I wanted to treat myself. I'm not big on going out. So, i figured I would spend my money on yet another tank. This time straying away from ADA, giving UNS a shot. Also, Ive had the Kessil A80 sitting in my closet collecting dust for some time now. First impressions of this UNS tanks,two words, blown away. From the mitered corners, dimensions to the silicon work.

Plans for this little 3G tank, something with spider wood. I have manzanita and seiryu in my 45p. seiryu in the mini m. So I want to go with a dense flora/ spider wood look. Something different than what I already have.

Filtration i was thinking the zoomed nano 10 canister filter. This tank is right by my bed so the azoo palm filter is out of the question since it has a distinct buzz to it.

C02, not sure if I will add another needle valve to my regulator or go with a paintball setup.

That is all for now. Here are some photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Change of plans with the 3N. Decided to go with a different tank for my night stand. This one was moved to my desk along side of the mini m.

Finished up the hard scape last night in this little one. Went with volcano rock, spider wood, Ada soil powder type, super sand special. I wasn't going to use sand in this one but I had a cup size of la plata left over from the other two scapes. Might replace the sand for soil and do a hc carpet. Who knows.

Filter: Aquarium masters nano hob filter.

As far as flora, that's where I'm at a stump. Not sure if I'll run a splitter from my co2 line going to the mini m and run it into this or just run an independent paint ball regulator setup to this. OR go low tech... decisions decisions.

The look I'm after is a over grown jungle vibe. I'm still browsing plant selection.. from the member section here, buceplant and AFA.

Glass aqua on instagram inspired me to build a nice pipe stand for the kessil. I believe that a nice stand makes the light so much more appealing that those unattractive goose necks.

#8 ·
Past few days I've been going through a spacers block. Couldn't really put together a scape I liked. As always, I'm changing things up. Finally put together something I was happy with. Using two pieces of spider wood for this scape and Ada la plata. Plants will be some swords that will eventually poke through the water and be emersed, buce, Anubis and moss.

#9 ·
I can see a really nice scape coming from this. A nice archway of Anubis nana petite and lotsa buce. And a couple swords would look quite good in the back of that wood.

Ps: I think it would look more complete with a handful of small to medium rocks at the base of the wood just to make it look slightly more natural and sophisticated .

#10 ·
I've finished this scape, but the wood and sand are going through their leaching phase. I'll post photos once it's all cleared up. I've added lava rock to the base. I was going to add ada san sui stone but I could not justify the price. Only difference is lava is more porous.

#12 ·
A bit cloudy, but here's the little guy all setup.

90% water changes have been done daily to combat tannins/cloudy water.

Fertalizer: 1ml Seachem Excel(even though I have my doubts), Nilocg pps pro micro/macro.. dosing .25ml x2 a week, Nilocg GH booster post water change.

Light: Kessil A80 Tuna Sun 7" above from water.

Filtration: Aquarium masters nano filter, aquaclear media, fine sponge.

Flora: Mini Bolbitis(baby leaf), Anubis nana petite, catherinae, Echinodorus Muricatus.

Swords will eventually break water and be emersed. Really tempted to setup an aquateck mini, 24oz paintball tank and a archaea diffuser on this little guy. I know I said low tech but co2 is addicting. Also, buceplant.com was where I obtained all plants in this tank. They are such a knowledgeable bunch. More than half of the plants I would have originally purchased would have not made it in this setup.

#18 ·
Tank is doing really well. Very low maintenance. Water change whenever sand starts getting dirty. Never scrub the glass. Loving it so far. I added some bumble bee gobbies that have been very entertaining so far. I had an extra needle valve since I took my 45cm down so I decided to inject co2 into this. The kessil a80 is running at 25% and 100% color. Very low light because I noticed the anubius Hastifolia that is emersed started to get burned even at 40%. I did raise the light up some more. Went from a 6” pipe to a 1’. Added some hydro Japan that I had left over from another project and it has grown so well. Some of it is actually growing emersed.

#28 ·
Hey Tnalp, beautiful tank. I just picked up this tank today. What heater are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.