Mad's ADA Journal - 60P, 30C, Mini M - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mad's ADA Journal - 60P, 30C, Mini M

Hi all,

I've been on the forums for a short while and thought I'd start a journal documenting my ADA 60P, 30C, and Mini M setup. I'm new to the Nature Aquarium hobby but have been into the saltwater reef keeping for over 13 years. When I started to travel for work I took a break from saltwater tanks and got into a bit of horticulture, specifically Bonsai trees which I still enjoy. A few months ago, I saw a photo of an Amano Nature Aquarium for the first time and was instantly drawn to it. What better fusion of the aesthetic elements of Bonsai and the aquarium hobby than a Nature Aquarium!

EDIT - 9/20/17 : I picked up a Mini M a few weeks back and instead of creating a new thread for it I'll be adding updates here.

The past few weeks I have been asking a lot of question on these forums and pretty quickly made the decision to run an ADA system, that is, ADA equipment and the ADA low dose fertilizer regimen. Below are the specs for each system:

ADA 60 Iwagumi Style - Set Up 7/31/17
Tank: ADA 60P
Lighting: ADA Aquasky G 601
Filter: Eheim 2213 Canister w/ ADA Bio-Rio
Substrate: ADA Powersand Special-S, ADA Amazonia Normal & Powder
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone
Plants: Utricularia Graminifolia, HC, Eleocharis Belem, Eleocharis Acicularis
Fauna: Amano Shrimp, Otocinclus, Harlequin Rasbora
Additives: Pressurized Co2, ADA Green Brighty Neutral K, Green Brighty Mineral

ADA 30 Nature Style - Set Up 8/6/17
Tank: ADA 30C
Lighting: ADA Aquasky G 301
Filter: Eheim 2211 w/ ADA Bio Rio
Substrate: ADA Amazonia Normal & Powder, ADA Colorado Sand
Hardscape: Branch Wood Driftwood, Yamaya Stone
Plants: Java moss, Trident Java Fern, Anubias Nana Petite, Bolbitis Difformis, Rotala
Fauna: Amano Shrimp, Otocinclus
Additives: Pressurized Co2, ADA Green Brighty Neutral K, Green Brighty Mineral

ADA Mini M Iwagumi Style - Set Up 9/19/17
Tank: ADA Mini M
Lighting: TBD
Filter: TBD
Substrate: ADA Amazonia Normal & Powder
Hardscape: ADA Manten Stone
Plants: Hemianthus callitrichoides
Fauna: TBD
Additives: TBD

Notes on the 60P
Setting up my 60P for the first time about 2 weeks ago I seeded my filter with existing media from a mature aquarium which greatly reduced the time it took to cycle. Currently I have Ammonia and Nitrite steadily at zero even with the large amount of ADA Amazonia used. I decided against using the ADA substrate additives (Penac P, Tourmaline, etc) when setting up the tank mainly to reduce cost.

The layout style of my 60P is a concave Iwagumi with Seiryu Stone taking up a majority of the scenery. I'm not really pleased with the way the hardscape looks to be quite honest. I ordered my Seiryu stone online unfortunately and was not happy with the selection I got but decided to use it anyways.

First Hardscape Layout:

After Planting:

Initially I wanted to remain true to Iwagumi style and keep only 2 plants max (UG and HC), however initial difficulties with UG have prompted me to replace UG with Japanese Dwarf Hairgrass (Belem sp). Right now I still have UG growing towards the sides of my tank still and small patches of Belem in the center however I anticipate the UG to eventually float up from the substrate which at that point I will have to replant.

2 Weeks After Planting:

Notes on the 30C
The 30C has been set up for about a week now and thus far I'm very pleased with the progress. For this aquarium I decided to go a completely different route than my 60P in order to achieve a different look and feel to the layout and provide a diversity of interest.

For the layout style I went with a triangle composition as opposed to the concave profile of the 60P. For the hardscape I used Spider Wood and a few Yamaya stones. The Yamaya stone serve a double purpose of providing a more natural look and as an anchor for the driftwood until it sinks on its own. I used Amazonia normal and powder for the planted areas as well as Colorado sand for the non-planted areas.

Day 1 Snapshot:

Notes on the Mini M
I picked up the Mini M on 9/8/17 on a trip to the bay area, sort of on a whim. Because of the work involved in maintaining two new tanks I never anticipated that I would get a 3rd so soon but after making a trip to Aqua Forest Aquarium in SF I just had to bring something home. For the design I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I knew I wanted to work with different materials in this tank so I decided to go with ADA Manten stone in a simple Iwagumi style triangular layout.

In order to keep this as simple and low maintenance as possible I decided to only use one plant species, HC. I'm trying a dry start for the first time which helps not only carpet the HC quicker but also buys me time to consider what lighting, filtration, and Co2 system I want to run.

Last edited by MadMensch; 09-21-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Add to thread title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm glad we have another Ada journal, love these. I tend to think that usually when someone buys ADA stuff then they tend to make sure it looks nice or else all their hard worked for money is waisted. I have been contemplating to get a nano tank (30c). It's either a 30c or one of the fluval spec series. I will be watching this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
I'm glad we have another Ada journal, love these. I tend to think that usually when someone buys ADA stuff then they tend to make sure it looks nice or else all their hard worked for money is waisted. I have been contemplating to get a nano tank (30c). It's either a 30c or one of the fluval spec series. I will be watching this thread.

Thank you Skye High! You won't regret getting a 30c. I think it's the perfect nano shape and size. I don't know much about the fluval spec but it might be hard finding good lights for that shape tank. With the 30c you can either go with ADA or Twinstar which are both great lights at different price points.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA 60P Iwagumi Style - Jul 2017
ADA 30C Nature Style - Aug 2017
ADA Mini M Iwagumi Style - Sep 2017

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMensch View Post
Thank you Skye High! You won't regret getting a 30c. I think it's the perfect nano shape and size. I don't know much about the fluval spec but it might be hard finding good lights for that shape tank. With the 30c you can either go with ADA or Twinstar which are both great lights at different price points.

To be honest, if If I get a nano, it's gonna be more for a nice hardscape and a bunch of algae eaters. I will have some nice moss and some lowlight plants but I don't want anymore maintenance than I have with my ADA 120-P.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
To be honest, if If I get a nano, it's gonna be more for a nice hardscape and a bunch of algae eaters. I will have some nice moss and some lowlight plants but I don't want anymore maintenance than I have with my ADA 120-P.
Oh nice, low maintenance is always a good thing. But then again I'd love to have a 120P some day with an ADA Solar RGB!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Damn starting with fresh water and instant 2 ADA systems. Nice! If you are used to reef, freshwater seems "cheap" I guess with all the corals and equipment.

Did you ask for pictures when ordering the seiryu stones online? Best is to visit LFS over time and collect pieces you like and save them for later. But not a solution if you want to set up a tank for the first time..

I would go for small schooling fish to make the tank look bigger. They won't distract that much because they are so tiny. Good choices for this are:
microrasbora kubotai
rasbora brigittae

Any front pics of the Iwagumi?

Next time you could split carpet plants to individual stems. This way it carpets faster and is cheaper for your wallet

DHG belem is very nice around stones and edges. Good you mixed carpet plants for a natural effect!
You could also add some echinodorus tenellus it's a nice plant and somewhat higher than most carpet plants.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Damn starting with fresh water and instant 2 ADA systems. Nice! If you are used to reef, freshwater seems "cheap" I guess with all the corals and equipment.

Did you ask for pictures when ordering the seiryu stones online? Best is to visit LFS over time and collect pieces you like and save them for later. But not a solution if you want to set up a tank for the first time..

I would go for small schooling fish to make the tank look bigger. They won't distract that much because they are so tiny. Good choices for this are:
microrasbora kubotai
rasbora brigittae

Any front pics of the Iwagumi?

Next time you could split carpet plants to individual stems. This way it carpets faster and is cheaper for your wallet

DHG belem is very nice around stones and edges. Good you mixed carpet plants for a natural effect!
You could also add some echinodorus tenellus it's a nice plant and somewhat higher than most carpet plants.
Thanks for checking out the journal and all the great tips! I'm going to post a front pic of the Iwagumi this week once I add some fish.

I actually was considering the Neon Green Rasboras but heard they do better with low Ph water? Unfortunately where I live the water is somewhat hard. I'm also considering Harlequin Rasboras at this time since my LFS has them in stock. It's definitely going to be between those two.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks for checking out the journal and all the great tips! I'm going to post a front pic of the Iwagumi this week once I add some fish.

I actually was considering the Neon Green Rasboras but heard they do better with low Ph water? Unfortunately where I live the water is somewhat hard. I'm also considering Harlequin Rasboras at this time since my LFS has them in stock. It's definitely going to be between those two.

My water is also relative hard but didn't had a problem keeping them. What's the ph of your tap? Your co2 system will bring the ph also down. Neon green rasboras stay smaller so I Would go for them.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
My water is also relative hard but didn't had a problem keeping them. What's the ph of your tap? Your co2 system will bring the ph also down. Neon green rasboras stay smaller so I Would go for them.

I ended up going with the Harlequins in the Iwagumi just for a bit of contrast. Do the Neon Green Rasboras do well in nano tanks? Thinking about what I want to stock the 30C with now.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I ended up going with the Harlequins in the Iwagumi just for a bit of contrast. Do the Neon Green Rasboras do well in nano tanks? Thinking about what I want to stock the 30C with now.
I do not know about the Neon Green Rasboras but 7 Rasbora Brigittae's with some Neocaridina's would look lovely in the 30C
MadMensch and MadMensch like this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

I had the green neon rasboras in a 25L tank. No problem.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

** UPDATE: 8/23/17 **

Equipment Changes

I decided to give the ZooMed Nano 10 the boot after trying different ways to increase it's flow and failing. Even though the Eheim 2211 is only pushing 60GPH, I chose to run with it because it has 3ft max head whereas the ZooMed is meant to be run on the same level as your tank, and I had mine running below the tank about a foot down. I also ordered some ADA Bio Rio to try out in the 2211 mixed with the Matrix from the ZooMed.

Here's the Eheim up and running inside my cabinet. Even with it packed with Bio Rio and Matrix it produces way more flow than the ZooMed. It also cleared up some cloudiness I had lingering in less than an hour.

Layout Updates

I decided to remove the baby tears from my substrate and will probably replace it with a Crypto Petchii or Wendtii in the shaded area and possibly hydro mini in the lit area. Also added Bolbitis tissue cultured plant in the middle-right on the driftwood. You can barely see it in the pic below.

In case you're wondering, the green Eheim intake and HOB filter in the photo below are temporary.

As far as fauna is concerned, I still have not decided on what fish to put in here. Right now I have moved over 3 oto's from 60P to help deal with the driftwood fungus that is all over the tank but I'll move them back once the fungus is gone.

Will post an update on the 60P tomorrow!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Algae Grower

Wow nice ! I would love to get one 2011 on my nano set up(only 4 gallon) but i wonder how silence does it get? Jelous of your tank and journal! I am too lazy to post my lol
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofuaqua View Post
Wow nice ! I would love to get one 2011 on my nano set up(only 4 gallon) but i wonder how silence does it get? Jelous of your tank and journal! I am too lazy to post my lol

I have the 2211. Been running it in my bedroom on my mini m for about 2 weeks now. I can't hear it. I also have a 2213 right next to my bed. Also can't hear it

MadMensch and MadMensch like this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofuaqua View Post

Thank you for reading! The Eheim classic canister filters are all very silent. As Tnalp said you can't really hear them.

Another option if you can't find the Eheim, if you don't mind having the filter sitting next to your tank then the zoomed nano 10 is also very quiet. Would be perfect for a 4 gallon.

ADA 60P Iwagumi Style - Jul 2017
ADA 30C Nature Style - Aug 2017
ADA Mini M Iwagumi Style - Sep 2017

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode