• 6 Post By Saurek
  • 2 Post By Saurek
  • 6 Post By Saurek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
90p iwagumi rescape

Hello there. It`s been a while since my last journal (2015?). I was too lazy to update it, so here is the pic of day 51 of the tank:

Now it is gone. Here we have new setup (actually ordered a complete set of stones):

So I have a few questions for you.

First: should I add sand and substrate? I have a feeling that overall level is a bit low. Its about 10 cm (~4 inches) at the rear and about 4 cm near the front (~1.5 inch) now. I think I can make it may be 50% higher but does it worth of rearanging (will be a pain to collect all the small stones and put them out)? Sand is ADA la plata and soil is Dennerle scapers soil (pretty simillar to Amazonia).

Second one: which plants do you suggest to use? I`m tired with 2 years of cuba, so no HC for me. I`m thinking about Utricularia graminifolia but I`ve read too many scarry stories about it. But still want to try out. Perhaps I`ll plant half of the space with it and see how it will go on. Also I`m not too exited about stem plants - want to keep stones not covered. Also trimming issues.
nel, nel, lisals and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hey very nice iwagumi set ups. I like the first one but the second one will definitely be better!

I would bank up the soil at least to 15 cm in corners (maybe even higher) this will add more depth to the scape. And you will also see more carpet this way you won't see much.

Although I like the scape I would work more from front to back instead of left to right. This will also add more depth to the scape. Your first scape was more based on front to back.

Try to get a few shade spots for a cool effect. You could do this by tilting some stones. But you already did this on the right so that's fine.

The small stones give a great natural effect.

This tank looks thick but cool! How much mm is it?

Personally I really lke eleocharis acicularis mini (dhg belem). It doesn't need frequent trimming and is a beauty! But once you trim it it will be hard to get rid of all the trimmings. Do you want a slow carpet and less trimmings you could go for marsilea crenata. Some helanthium tenellum "green" is great for an extra touch in the scape. Just a little bit around the stones. Monte carlo is really easy but looks like HC just bigger leaves and needs a lot of trimming.

UG prefers soft water do you use RO water or how is your tap?

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 08-08-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I`m going to lean some big stones a bit - but just a little bit. Also I have a feeling that overall composition sits a bit low. But I rarely could do anything about it. Only by adding several cm of substrate - but it not much.

Glass is 10 mm optiwhite. Not ADA one, but crafted by the local master. Really smooth one.

My tap water have PH 7.4, Gh 7 and Kh 5. I had ideas about RO but even tap results are acceptable. With aqua soil and CO2 it should be okay.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurek View Post
I`m going to lean some big stones a bit - but just a little bit. Also I have a feeling that overall composition sits a bit low. But I rarely could do anything about it. Only by adding several cm of substrate - but it not much.

Glass is 10 mm optiwhite. Not ADA one, but crafted by the local master. Really smooth one.

My tap water have PH 7.4, Gh 7 and Kh 5. I had ideas about RO but even tap results are acceptable. With aqua soil and CO2 it should be okay.
It looks very solid the tank.

I was thinking about that to but was hard to say from the picture. Try to raise some stones and keep about 1/3 of the sky clean. Here is a video of a cheap way to do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OqRwjZIzhU

This way the stones won't sink in the soil either.

Remember that aqua soil will lose its buffer to lower the kh. After a few months already.
Does this rocks affect your water parameters?

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
It looks very solid the tank.

I was thinking about that to but was hard to say from the picture. Try to raise some stones and keep about 1/3 of the sky clean. Here is a video of a cheap way to do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OqRwjZIzhU

This way the stones won't sink in the soil either.

Remember that aqua soil will lose its buffer to lower the kh. After a few months already.
Does this rocks affect your water parameters?
Thanks, I`ll think about garden nets. Googling it now.
About rocks - no idea, but retailer said that they are neutral. And many ppl who use them seems to be fine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Planted Member

What type of rock are those? Very dramatic for a jagged mountain look. Well done. You are making me really want to try to attain higher levels of aquascaping skill. Thank you, I think. hehe

Brian Rodgers

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rodgers View Post
What type of rock are those? Very dramatic for a jagged mountain look. Well done. You are making me really want to try to attain higher levels of aquascaping skill. Thank you, I think. hehe
Its a basalt from Carpates, eastern Europe. Supplier calls them Yama Stone.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Planted Member

alright, Basalt then. Thank you

Brian Rodgers

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the "lifted up" variant:

Nlewis, Nlewis, lisals and 3 others like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

that rock scape is sick! which fish are putting in this tank?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleuwater View Post
that rock scape is sick! which fish are putting in this tank?
To be honest - no idea so far. Some small and schooling ones for sure. Not neons - tired of them. May be iriatherinas, really love them. They do not school much tho.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

any updates?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can we get updates please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode