• 2 Post By BigMek
  • 2 Post By StevieD
  • 4 Post By StevieD
  • 2 Post By The Dude1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
Two things I know about LED's, nothing and beggar all!

Well it is hung out there for all to see. I have after FAR too many years finally attempted a planted tank, I know the basics, we need an open topped glass box, substrate, water, and lighting. Oh and not forgetting of course the possible necessity of CO2.

So at the moment we have of course the glass box. Mine just happens to be a 48 gallon one, long story if anyone is really interested in the odd size of it please feel free to ask.

We have substrate of a rusty red color, water with a ph of around 6 to 6.4 (fresh from the sky, not the faucet). Two 24" fluorescent tubes and a 30" one, all three of are of an indeterminate age so probably need to be replaced, you see there is the rub!

From what I have been able to discover from Mister Home Depot Electrical Department 2017 , the tubes I have are not T5's (bummer) and the fittings are only good for one size, (double bummer) oh and his parting shot was "if you do decide to go with T5's you will probably need to get new ballasts as well as these will not do the trick". So after entering the store with high hopes of at least knowing what the cost of replacing said fluorescent tubes was going to be, I leave knowing the cost is going to be a lot more than I had hoped. (TRIPLE BUMMER).

Back to the drawing board (actually a computer screen but you get the picture) Google is my friend and his close relative E of the bay isn't a bad guy, despite what some would say. So to quote the yellow pages commercial from Scotland in the 1970's "I let my fingers do the walking".

I find out I can get a 3 LED bar or a four one, it can be a 36" or a 48" for my size of glass box. It can have a timer, it can even be controlled by an APP. Pure guess work here but I would guess the APP is controlled by the obnoxious beeping box in my pocket that is definitely smarter than I am, how do I know? Because even in the stores they call it a "smart phone", satisfied?

You have to be aware of the vagaries of the controllers and the surge protectors and the fact that some are pretty cheap cost wise and ok, while others are expensive and not much better than they need to be.

So all in all, what I have learned about lighting to get this rare plant to grow in my very own glass box? The cost is a lot more than I originally hoped.

Wanders off muttering about T5's and LED's and micro and macro ferts, and filters, and even the possibility of installing lights with mirrors in the top of the lid so all the light is reflected into the tank.

Well shut that front door, I know more than I thought I did!

Happy growing to one and all, and to one and all have a wonderful beginning to your week.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

Last edited by StevieD; 08-07-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Because I wanted to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Planted Member

To add another wrinkle to your dilemma, you can also purchase LED bulbs that fit into your T8 fluorescent fixture. They seem to be less expensive than LED aquarium lights.

Love the writing style by they way
StevieD and StevieD like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Considering my trials with red plants I wish I had stuck with a low tech setup. Cheapest easiest way to go. You can use T8 shop lights. Here and here examples of low tech setups

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMek View Post
To add another wrinkle to your dilemma, you can also purchase LED bulbs that fit into your T8 fluorescent fixture. They seem to be less expensive than LED aquarium lights.

Love the writing style by they way

Good morning to you and yours,

I was not aware that LED lighting came in bulb/tubular form, obviously more research is required. Not to mention of course the variations of such, the more obvious ones being analysis, exploration, inquiry, investigation, probing, delving, experimentation, groundwork not to mention of course fighting the ADLS. Yes, ADLS. Usually found when one is delving into the underbelly of the interwebs. Attention, Deficit, Look, Shiney!

And thank you for your kind worms, oops words!

SD

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Considering my trials with red plants I wish I had stuck with a low tech setup. Cheapest easiest way to go. You can use T8 shop lights. Here and here examples of low tech setups
Thank you for the heads up I am definitely interested in *cheap* at the moment due to the dearly beloved one being unemployed, well that is not exactly true as taking care of yours humbly as anyone that knows me will happily divulge is a full time position. Unfortunately that does not help to pay the bills, but we soldier on. As Gloria Gaynor sang so beautifully in the 1970's "I will survive".

A LFS that has opened locally and has sold me some superb Anubias Nana Gold Coin and Anubias Meeboldi, the ones he sells come in the small black plastic pots with open slots down the sides. I do not know if it is the way they are grown, or if there is a secret to the thingy that you put in the wotsit before utilizing "that stuff" that comes handed down from the great houses of the Ottoman Empire. I am not sure about that Ottoman Empire bit, just a little to much information regarding living room furniture if you ask me, and what have aquariums to do with sofas?

Thanks for the links but I constantly get a message when trying to register that "the server is a little busy at the moment please try later". I think it just doesn't like me, but that's ok, sometimes it is best to be out there alone in the darkness, wait, no its not, look there is a light, and strolls off whistling, There is a rose in Spanish Harlem.

Last edited by StevieD; 08-08-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: It was necessary for my sanity.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't get too overwhelmed. I have had most and it's purely dependant on cost. The higher the cost the more options and adjustability. I wouldn't go with t8... they corrode and dont allow alot of adjustability. If you are unsure about C02 I would either buy the Beamswork FSPEC or one of the nice adjustable fixtures from Current or Fluval. If you decide to use C02 you may need an additional Beamswork where as the current or Fluval allow adjustability. Ive had T8, T5NO, T5HO, LED's, and currently have tanks with T5HO and LED's. Good quality LED's last and don't seem to have the spectral problems that plaque T5 bulbs as they age... and then there is the cost of T5 bulbs... My opinion is do it once and do it right. Being able to adjust the brightness of the LED's is pretty awesome. Still struggling with my non adjustable fixtures over my 75 gallon that does have CO2. Its always going to be difficult to find the balance.
Then consider the need for ferts and some form of CO2 for most plants even if it is gluteraldehyde.

For the purely cost conscious I would buy one of the Beamswork FSPEC off of that awful auction site that undermines everything corporate greeds holds dear. About $60.. then a gallon of metricide on Amazon for about $25, then a line of dry ferts from GLA about $15... and your on your way... you can grow ALOT with that... once things settle and stabilize.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have never been tempted to do anything but prescription medication. Street drugs just do not do it for me. I have been shot full of morphine or one of its derivatives on average once a month this year, I do NOT GET IT! Who on earth would want to feel like that on purpose, or dolphin (Purpose dolphin, get it? Oh well never mind)

Not one of the people I have exchanged mail with on here have managed to let me know how addictive buying plants can be! Fish ok yeah if you say so. I think I am developing ADLNP.

Attention Deficit Look New Plant.

So Many different plants and so many different ways to enable those plants to make their way in their watery worlds, then of course there are those wonderful people that offer their trimmings for free, all that is needed is for you to pay the shipping costs. But but but their are still those awesome deals on those beautifully coloured Cryptocoryne that you have NEVER seen before, or those wonderful people from Indonesia that are flooding my inbox with offers for the 9,743,284 different variation of Buce that are available and only from them (of course). Which makes me wonder if there are plants left in Indonesia at all?

I am new but not entirely stupid, bordering on it, well yes that goes with the territory, but not entirely so. Which leads me to my question dear friends. How on earth do they ship them from over half way around the world and they survive? I am not saying that they will not survive I just wonder how well they are packaged.

Back to your normal viewing pleasure.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Way too many reputable people and sites to take that risk. I've gotten some large gorgeous plants from Buce plant. This next time I'm buying from a member on here to see if the adaptation is easier as I think I may have gotten some emersed plants. I should have saved the username... well I'll find it tomorrow when I start making my anticipated purchases like my new custom regulator from Alan Le!! Woop woop!! I am pumped about this... two outputs with 2 high quality needle valves... It's like display quality... Which is good because the whole setup will be visible!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The secret is knowing which dealers are the best ones to choose from. I was fortunate enough to be given a piece of the "blue" one. I have no clue as to the correct name of it, but apparently it is supposed to have dark blue leaves under the correct lighting. At first I didnt think it was going to last as it was losing what few leaves it had. So taking its tiny life in my hands I moved it to the top of a piece of driftwood. I have had it there for about a 6 weeks now and the last two weeks it has put out six new leaves!

I am hoping that the driftwood I have the Buce on will eventually be completely covered, fingers eyes legs and toes crossed.

If you do have any recommendations which dealers are the best please let me know

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode