Two new planted tanks - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two new planted tanks

So after some moving things around and other issues I've decided to turn my 20 long into a planted tank. As well as my 5g.

Current set up is
20g long

Lights: Hagen Glo fixture with 2x24w ho t5
Filter: aqueon quietflow 20 hob
Substrate: inert sand
Plants: 2x small amazon swords, prinz keiner(spelling?) sword, crypt spiralis. Couple java fern starts and some anubias
And stem plants I think are mainly bacopa.
Fish rosetail betta 9 neon tetras, 1 nerite snail and an albino mystery snail.

5 gallon
Light: 13w cfl bulb in desk lamp
Filter: tetra whisper i10
Plants: hairgrass, 3xlace java fern starts, hydrocotyle Japan, few ludwigia stems, quarter size piece of java moss on log and a banana plant.
Undecided on livestock.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good start to your tank but I will say, if you added some sort of nice hardscape to your 20 long and maybe revamp the scape on the 5g then both could look a lot nicer. Not trying to be nit picky, just how it may sound.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Good start to your tank but I will say, if you added some sort of nice hardscape to your 20 long and maybe revamp the scape on the 5g then both could look a lot nicer. Not trying to be nit picky, just how it may sound.
Yeah originally the log in the 5 was in the 20 where the big gap is. And then I ran out of plants to use. I was going to put something in the 5 where the space is but I realized the only plants I have that could fill the space are my swords and most of which are nearly twice as tall as the tank is. Any thoughts on how I could rescape the 5? Also the heater is hidden behind the log right now lol

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

May I ask a couple questions.

1) are you on a real strict budget

2) Do you have a decent LFS around with hardscape available.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not too strict of a budget, but nearest LFS is hours away.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, because I was going to tell you to go to your LFS and get either 1) 4 or 5 stones or 2) one nice piece of driftwood for 20 bucks or less. But essence you (I'm guessing) don't want to drive hours, you will need to find a or a couple pieces of wood or stone (or both). To be honest I am not really impressed with the piece of wood that's in their right now. It could be spruced up with plants (moss, buce, Anubis nana "petite") but I think your best bet is to revamp. Find something you like outside then boil it and you should be good to go. A lot of people like to soak their hardscape in a 1 to 10 (I believe) solution of bleach. Then let dry or boil later. This is what I did when setting up my tank.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wouldn't mind going to the LFS but I actually don't have a car anymore. I was thinking about ordering some dragonstone or something. I'm trying to get some obsidian to use as hardscape in the 20 to contrast the sand.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That would be pretty sweet. I really didn't even think about buying hardscape from online. I don't know about your price range (it seems rather expensive to me) but buce plant has a bunch of hardscape selections to choose from. You could do a larger package and have enough for the 20 and the 5.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The black mountain seiryu stones on the buce plant site would look awesome in to 20. Thanks for the advice about that site.

Although the 5 gallon now has my rosetail betta so I gotta watch for the sharper edges. Stupid betta keeps eating my ghost shrimp in the 20
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I was actually just looking at the black seiryu stone and I was going to mention how close it looked to obsidian.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In the end ill probably end up redoing the 5 fully. I used hairgrass not dwarf hairgrass I knew it was taller I didn't realize how much thicker the strands were

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If your going to redo the 5 completely it would be best to use dwarf hair grass Belem. It only grows about 2 1/2 inches tall or so and will not grow hardly any taller after that. It doesn't need co2 but it will need medium light.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'd be open to some other type a ground cover plant too. The hairgrass was just something I could get through work. I work at a pet supply but it's mostly cat and dog stuff so our selection for aquarium stuff is limited, lol and I was being cheap and trying not to order online since I'm still fairly new to the aquarium stuff only had them for less than a year 0 previous experience

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotickross View Post
I'd be open to some other type a ground cover plant too. The hairgrass was just something I could get through work. I work at a pet supply but it's mostly cat and dog stuff so our selection for aquarium stuff is limited, lol and I was being cheap and trying not to order online since I'm still fairly new to the aquarium stuff only had them for less than a year 0 previous experience

Sorry I responded so late, I personally love dwarf hairgrass Belem. It's what I'm putting into my 65 gallon in a month or so. You really don't even have to trim it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Sorry I responded so late, I personally love dwarf hairgrass Belem. It's what I'm putting into my 65 gallon in a month or so. You really don't even have to trim it.
Yeah I looked it up and it seems like one that would look really good. Gotta figure something out for him in that tank he's starting to get bored and biting his fins. Also grabbed some pygmy chain sword for the 20.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode