(I had recently started up a 75 gallon journal here but it was abandoned shortly after due to purchasing a house and moving.)
New 50 gallon Acrylic Planted... I've always been too long-winded in my journal attempts, and lost interest after a few posts, so I'm going to keep this one short and primarily pictures (...I believe )
SeaClear Acrylic 50 Gallon
- 36x15 foot print.
[This is my first ever Seaclear aquarium. I've had other rimless/braceless acrylics in the past which were much thicker but still bowed if longer than 2 feet. This acrylic is much thinner, but the euro bracing on top has made it feel more sturdy and I notice less bowing. Fingers crossed this feeling continues.]
Overflow is an Eshopps 1200
. Set up as "Herbie style". Covered with some 20 SS Mesh to prevent skrimp overflowing.
[I really love this set up... first and only method I've ever used for overflow/sump. Completely silent. You can only hear the pumps running. I use a gate valve for titration. Both 1" drain pipes.]
Sump filter - Standard 10 gallon glass aquarium
- with one siliconed plexiglass baffle.
[Sump is very simple. Just one baffle... Purigen, some ceramic, then lava rock in a canister filter insert... lastly filtered through some blue/white combo coarse/fine filter pad]
Return pump - Jebao DC 6000
[I run it at 7/10, somewhere around 800 gph turn over I believe.]
consist of closed loop in the sump
[Rio 1600 pushing into a Rex Grigg style reactor. 3" x 24" PVC. Ball Valve on the output throttled to 40-50% I would guess. No bubbles ever seen in tank except pearling.
[CO2 comes on about 4 hours prior to lights coming on. The aquarium receives alot of light from surrounding windows (south facing room). The CO2 comes on at around noon, when this room starts getting pounded by light. Initially, I had some green water and diatom issues because the sunlight was just too much (even though we have blinds closed). Once I moved back the CO2 start time... levels were rising as sunlight started to brighten the room; the issue resolved]
Lighting - 36" Ecoexotic LED strip and Odyssea 2 x T5 lamp.
39W T5 lamps are (1) Geissman AquaFlora and (1) Geissman MidDay
[The LED fixture is set to 80% brightness and runs for 8 hours with 15 minute ramp intervals. The 2 T5s are on 4 hours.. kind of a mid-late day burst for my viewing hours]
Fertilization is nilocg's Thrive Plus
[An all in one mixed fertilizer. I have used powder methods for EI for years now, and just got tired of mixing fert solutions and always feeling like I needed to tweak my recipe constantly. Most of the time, I felt things were swinging back and forth and never settled. I know this isn't everyone's experience and that's fine
I decided to give this a shot, and I have to say I am pleased after a few months of use. IMO I feel like some additional supplementation may be needed down the road, but I have no plans of switching at this time.]
There are plants...
Buce... some little green one, very small
Hairgrass. Some is tall and some is short.
Java Fern- Needle and Narrow Leaf
Lobelia Cardinalis Small Form
Syno Negro Giant
~ 20 amano and cherry skrimp
~ 5 Otos
~ 10 Pygmy corys.
A single old tricolor sword platy. Only one left from a group I had previously. Don't have the heart to give him away
There is also a lone small Yoyo loach in there. I had an overpouring of snails and he handled the issue. He can stay for a while longer if he wishes.
More photos to follow