90 gallon high tech attempt - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By ChrisX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
90 gallon high tech attempt

Hello TPT,
I picked up a used 90 gallon acrylic tank about a month ago with the goal of setting up a planted tank. In college I had a very basic 5 gallon tank with plants, mollies, and shrimp. About 6 years ago, I had a 75 gallon reef setup until I moved to my new house. I still have my aquarium controller so I decided to do a heavily planted tank with pressurized CO2 and med/high lights.

My aquarium is 90 gallon total, but it has a built-in wet/dry ďsumpĒ in the backwall. The display area is 48Lx13Wx24H for a volume of 65 gal. Iíve changed the substrate to eco-complete. The light is a Current USA Satellite Plus Pro. I picked up an Airgas regulator off ebay after reading about all the DIY builds on here. I still need to order a few parts and pick up a tank at the local welding shop.

I got my hands on a PAR meter and measured a max of 65 PAR in the center of the tank. 44 PAR toward the front. These readings at the substrate ~21Ē deep. From my research, I should be able to grow any medium light plant.

Iím still decided on what fish to stock. The remaining fish from the previous owner are two large Gold Gourami and two black skirt tetras. Iíd like a school of corydoras and lots of shrimp. I still havenít decide what to get for my upper schooling fish.

90 gal Est. June 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Your plans sound mostly nice, but I can't imagine you'll be able to add any shrimp without the gouramis picking them off immediately. You should also get at least 4 more tetras to have a comfortable school.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Can you remove the built in sump and replace it with an external canister? I bet you will appreciate the extra depth for your aquascaping.

13" wide is about what you get with a 55g tank, yet yours is 5" taller. Very narrow and tall will be difficult to aquascape.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up with the gourami and shrimp. I'll have to think about re-homing the gourami.

I agree the display area is very narrow. I love the look for a 120 (48x24x24") . I was back and forth whether to buy this setup or not. I really liked that everything was self-contained and I could hide all my equipment in the back panel plus very minimal chance for water leaks. For now, I'll do what I can with this setup.

Any suggestions for tall plants?

Also, how many cory cats should I stock? From what Iíve read 8-9 is a good number for a 55gal.

90 gal Est. June 2017

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode