The 'This is All Steve's Fault' 3 Gal Betta Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The 'This is All Steve's Fault' 3 Gal Betta Tank

This was all a mistake from the beginning, but a mistake I couldn't resist.

It started with someone else (let's call him Steve) buying a betta fish. And plunking it down to slowly die in a tiny, horrible little cube tank. Steve is my coworker at a small vet practice, and he brought his betta in to work, so I had to watch it suffer. He put the tiny little cube in our lobby, and was very proud of himself for livening up the place.

I once kept a bearded dragon in secret, in my closet, as a high schooler after it was abandoned by its previous owner. I couldn't let the little fish die in that cube. I used to keep ten-gallon tropical community tanks as a kid, so I thought, what the hell, I'll do an emergency intervention here and move that fish to a better home, right here in the vet clinic. Here's where the awkward office politics come in: I'm the 19 year old daughter of the clinic's owner. I do sensitive paperwork and know all the passwords. Other than that, I'm a lowly assistant in the clinic's hierarchy. So I have dubious leverage over Steve, who otherwise outranks me (and is much older).

Now, at this point you may be saying, "that sounds like a super awkward clusterf**k. You should just mind your business!"

You'd be right, of course, but I couldn't bear to leave that little betta to his fate. Working in the back rooms of a vet clinic, I see terrible things quite often. I've seen the suffering that is caused by neglect and bad husbandry. I've seen, felt and smelled misery at its purest. And I guess I wanted something I could protect, a chance to finally stop the suffering, even if it was only one tiny little fish.

I told Steve my great plan, spinning it as a gift for him and the vet clinic. "A bigger one will look so much cooler!" I told him, skipping the part about his tiny tank being terrible for his fish. Steve is a curmudgeon but likes indulging us young'uns, so he gave me the ok.

After some hasty aquaria re-learning, I went out and bought an API 3 gallon tank kit, because that was the largest size that could fit in in our lobby. It was at that point that I decided, screw it, might as well add some plants! They'll make it look better and help eat the nitrates and such. (This was not the most thoughtful, well-planned decision I've ever made.) So, I slapped together a quick list of some "low tech" plants (I had never heard the term before) and bought those too, from a rather useless chain pet store that kept trying to convince me to add cory catfish to my 3-gallon, uncycled tank. The blind leading the blind!

Some more hasty purchases followed: an aftermarket LED to keep my new plants from dying, resin driftwood to tie Java moss to, and some water conditioner.

I assembled my Betta paradise, and decided that the poor, stressed looking betta might not last as long as it would take to fishless-cycle my new tank. With that in mind, I decided I would cycle the tank with the betta in it.

And so began my struggle.

Tags
algae, betta, funny, low tech, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode