3Likes
  • 2 Post By viverridae
  • 4 Post By The Dude1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g Dwarf Puffer Biotope

I had a 10 gallon planted tank a couple years ago, that unfortunately needed to come down before I moved out of state. Now that I'm all settled, I'd like to get back into the hobby! I kept dwarf puffers briefly, and they were a delight <3 I'm hoping to try my hand at a biotope aquarium this time around.

I wanted to save up for a nice CO2 system, but that will be further down the road. For now, I'm just going to dose with Excel (+ dry or liquid ferts)...and maybe keep it that way if I don't end up needing anything more. Which I might not. I think I'd like the option of transitioning to a high-tech tank, but more realistically - I'm a poor grad student, ahah.

I would very much welcome any comments/suggestions/critiques/"Hey you missed this" Thanks for reading along!

Tank: 20 gallon long - 30.5"L x 13.125"W x 13.0"H
Canister Filter: I've used HOB filters previously, but want to try a canister filter this time. Tentatively considering an Eheim 2211 (Also looking at Hydor or Fluval - I'm open to recommendations!). Does anyone know the inflow and outflow dimensions of the Eheim 2211? I'm having trouble finding a definite number, for some reason.
Inline Heater: Hydor 200w
Lighting: Finnex Planted+ 24/7. I used the Planted+ on my previous tank, and it did a nice job - curious to try out the 24/7! It should be good enough for medium-light plants, yeah? About 10 inches above the substrate?
Substrate: EcoComplete or Flourite, approx. 30 lbs. (in red?), with Osmocote root tabs. Not sure if one would look better or more biotope accurate than the other.

Fauna: 3 - 4 dwarf puffers (one male and two or three females)
Flora: A lot. I think I had trouble with my last tank because I didn't have enough plants, and was too enthusiastic about dosing ferts.
Primarily plants of the Pamba River, if I can help it, but I ended up branching out a little.
A not-so-short list that I still need to narrow down:
Aponogeton undulatus
Cryptocoryne undulata
Cerotopteris pteridoides
Cabomba aquatica
Hygrophila corymbosa
Hygrophila difformis
Limnophila sessiliflora
Limnophila aromatica
Microsorum pteropus (java fern)
Nymphea stellata (dwarf lilly)
Rotala macrandra
Vesicularia dubyana (java moss)
Save
Sherminator and Sherminator like this.

Last edited by viverridae; 07-19-2017 at 08:57 PM. Reason: plant list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ive got a 2213 on my 11.4 and the flow is a dribble. I can't imagine the 2211... other than that have you seen the little yeast DIY setup on Amazon for like $13?? Has a little flow valve and links up two 2 liter bottles. Couple that with a little Griggs reactor that you can DIY on the 2213 and you'll be in great shape. You'll just need to mix up a new yeast sugar batch every 2 weeks.
Rotala Macandra is very difficult. Even with perfect CO2 I hear many have problems with it. Ludwigia Ovalis gives some decent red and it's pretty hardy. Or if you're looking just for a stem that will grow nicely and densely Bacopa Caroliniana is a good one

Last edited by The Dude1; 07-19-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A bit delayed, but thank you for the feedback! I'll reexamine my filter choices and look into DIY CO2, for sure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode