The 75 is really starting to fill in nicely!
I'm starting to see a small amount of twisting in the AR mini and variegated, so I decided to dose 2ppm Mg which is about 1 1/4 tsp worth. My latest water report says I have 9ppm Mg and 35ppm Ca, figured I had nothing to lose and I've heard that adding a little extra Mg has helped flatten out AR leaves. I'll give this a week or so, if I see it getting worse then it will be time to reduce my micro dosing, I'll drop down to 4 days a week from 5. I also need to thin this bunch out a little, probably not helping.
I know I've been talking about Mermaid Weed a lot as of late, but its such an interesting plant. As I mentioned above one of the stems sprouted a bunch of new plantlets right near the top portion of the stem. This morning when I turned the lights on to do a water change I noticed the top of the plant had stunted and was pale coloured. I would suspect all the nutrients and energy was going into growing the new plantlets, the top growth suffered. In the end I pinched of 8 new stems, I could only imagine the energy needed to grow this many new stems. You'll also notice the newer growth on the one stem that was stuck because the plant was not able to get any nutrients from the roots due to rot.
In other news. Because I needed the Co2 reg and tank from the 75 for the rimless, I switched the 75 over to the setup that I used on the two 40's. Basically its one solenoid split to two needle valves, each with there own bubble counter. On the original 75 Co2 system I could eye ball setting up the Co2 by the steady stream of bubbles in the counter, plus I have a monitor measuring pH 24/7. I move and setup the new split system, set the bubble counter to the normal steady stream I am used to see and head off to do other things. Few hours later just as lights are coming on I look over at the monitor and pH has only dropped to 6.6 normally at lights on its 6.1. WTF! I pull out my soapy spray bottle and spray everything done, thinking maybe there is a leak. No leak! I turn up the Co2 and bubbles are flying out the counter, maybe my eye balling levels is not so good after all. Then it dawns on me, the bubble counter on this setup is different then the one of the setup from the 75, quickly switch the bubble counters and low and behold I can actually count the bubbles coming out the old counter from the 75. Adjust the needle valve to see the bubbles the way I normally see them and within half hour pH is down to 6.1. The opening in the bubble counter off the 75 is much bigger and allows a bigger bubble to pass through it, meaning more Co2 per bubble. Might be time for me to invest in a flow meter, would have caught this right off the bat.
As mentioned already I found some BDBS at my local TSC store, which they didn't carry last time I was on the hunt for it. You're looking at four 50lb bags rinsed and ready to go, you'll also see the reactor I built yesterday for the rimless. I now have almost everything I need to set up the rimless, except the black vinyl for the back glass. I'm hoping to source something this week.