• 2 Post By Jubk1
  • 8 Post By geektom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up 40 Gallon Beginner

Hey Guys!!

Im Excited to join the forum/community, I am getting into the hobby long story short I got the tank 4 months ago as a surprise gift and after finally finding a spot/ table and all the other stuff id need (talk about a "convenient" gift)Ive decided to Aquascape it dry and let it sit for a day before planting it either tomorrow or sometime this week.

Let me what you guys think, if its not to much or to little. Im hoping to get a carpet in there sooner or later ,probably later when i get better lighting. The substrate(florite) is about 1 inch to 1.5 inches up front with 2-3.5 in mid and back of the tank. The plan is to cover up the lava rock with moss/plants, while putting a few other plants around. Not sure how I will stock this just yet will keep it with maybe a small clean up crew for now and leave the fish for later.

EDIT*** the full tank picture is as followed took off the extra lava rock and left it out didn't want to force it/ wanted to leave room for a tall plant to grow there instead. Added Full Tank Photo as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	772729  

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	772737  

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	772745  

Name:	pic5.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	772753  

Name:	pic6.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	772761  

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	772777  

Last edited by Jubk1; 07-16-2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like you're off to a great start.

The only suggestion I'd make is to move the tall piece to the rear and bring the smaller rocks to the front, so they're not lost.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking Plant update

So here is my update,

I bought 3 Swords, one of them being a red flame one we will see how that goes.2 annubias which i added to the driftwood one of the pieced on the left is new, liked the interesting spiral design it made. I am blanking on the front left two plants but I added a lily to the middle for now.

Nothing added besides two root tabs for the lilly and the swords. may think of carpeting but for now I'm going to let this plants settle in and also wait for my tank to cycle to start adding in some fish.

Let me know what you guys think!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	774057  

irishspy and irishspy like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You really can't go wrong with anubias and swords. Are you doing low tech or high tech?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No CO2 and no upgraded lighting(for now atleast) i dont think ill ever get into C02. For now just going to use the florite, root tabs and some fish later on after the cycle.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:58 AM
Planted Member

Welcome to our wonderful hobby!

The stem plants you planted at the very front left will probably do better if you move them back and plant each stem separately. It is a shame that stem plants are often sold as "bunch" plants, which is really a misnomer. Planting them individually helps ensure each one gets enough light and keeps their stems from being damaged. Using long aquascaping tweezers helps.

Just an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you,

Well update on the Stems i replanted them however the stems themselves were super soft or melted like on half of them and some of them were white.. I replanted them( i know i was told to replant them in the back however i put them in more wide open space/ in the front hoping if light is the issue to my problem they will get more of it.
I currently run my light after i come back from work, its the stock hood LED light that comes with aquariums, the room doesn't get tooo bright int he day time but id say the aquarium gets about 8 hours of light at night. also Since i felt like the lighting may not be enough I put root tabs near all the bunches(broke the root tab apart to make smaller ones around them. We will see how that goes..) My water clarity has drastically improved however. Threw in 2 carbon packages also to help with any smells for the time being.

I also cut off any melting/ damaged leaves of my swords that I bought we will see how that works out,should I buy flourish or any other substitute? Any low light plants anyone recommends?

So far i took my water to petsmart a few times and the tests came out positive will probably add one or two fish next weekend for now thought I'm going to stay put.

The only thing I'm confused about is that in my Hang out back filter i don't see any "good bacteria" growing or slime how are my water tests coming out so well with out that? or is it not as obvious as alge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	776633  

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Starting to see how one tank can turn into many tanks...

So since I started I didn't start testing until 3 weeks in, and Ive had zero ammonia readings after that the past 3 times Ive tested. My Nitrates were at 20- Nitrites at 1.0 Soft water Alkalinity is a bit low and a 7.2ish PH Now not sure how accurate these numbers are since I go to Petsmart to get it done for free go once a week but I think i may try and build some ammonia up put some fish food in there in order to atleast restart a cycle if there is one. Also may use a friends old filter to put into my aquarium to get some of that beneficial bacteria.. Anyway here is my Aquarium for now..

Bannana Plants

Red Flame Sword and Regular amazon swords

Anubias

Water Lily

and IM blanking on the name of the on in the back right.

Not sure which way I'm going to stock the tank thinking of getting a black background and maybe going with some Tetras, Ammano ammano shrimp, A few cory cats and maybe one center piece fish if I can find one that won't eat the others.

Anyway here are the updated pictures, Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	778721  

Name:	IMG_0699-1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	778729  

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	778737  

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	778745  

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Long time no see!

Long time no see-

Ive unfortunately had a plant massive melt since my last pictures due to lighting/Calcium from my research atlas.(humble brad I didn't send out desperate posts but instead used the search function applaud me its okay i def deserve it)

Light wise I ended up getting the Fluval Skypad and shine that 4 hours a day along with my LED strip that comes with the hood and then 4 more hours alone so 8 hours total but only 4 hours of duel lighting-
For that to happen I Basically jerry rigged the hood and a I am currently in the processes of cutting out custom plastic pieces to cover any holes that may be in the hood(near the back where the wires come out and the filter) in order to prevent any snails from escaping- Ive got 4 trumpets and 2 narrate snails for now- The 5 Danios Ive gotten have really started shining with their color(must be doing something right) hoping this means they must be happy and also to my delight my water is surprisingly clear(i don't use water clarifier however I put a carbon pad along with Filter Fiber inside my hang out back in addition to fluvial biomax. and its been doing wonders(not sure if thats the reason or not but I assume it is) I've been doing one water change a week and thats mostly just to get some calcium etc in the water for the plants.

Ive also started using Florish and small I got a small bottom of Iron to really make the Dwarf Lillys start turning more red, Ive only added Java Moss and want to try and attempt to make a tree like effect I'm going to let that one grow out and keep super glueing and cutting it etc until i get the effect i want since I don't really want to buy more of it if i can grow it myself!..

Anyway plans for now are to get more fish probably some Tetras or maybe a rainbow shark. Ultimate goal is to have a nice healthy community tank but going to go slow and add 5- 6 fish at a time for now. Plant wise I will hold off but I think I'm going to go with some plants to fill in the back more probably in a few months.

Anyway let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	786378  

Name:	IMG_0810.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	786386  

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	786394  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode