Let's see how this turns out. Updated 4/13/19 - The Planted Tank Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Let's see how this turns out. Updated 4/13/19

So I wanted to try aquasoil and see why everyone thinks it's so great. I picked up a bag of Contosoil extra fine and placed in a 20g that I recently removed some fish from. I hit up @burr740 and purchased some plants.

Equipment:
Heater - some crappy one from Amazon
Filter - dual sponge filter
Water movement- Eheim Skim350
Lighting - Odyssea quad T5ho

Flora:
Dwarf hairgrass
AR mini
Downoi
Corymbosa compacta
Staurogyne purple
Ludwigia (not sure which one)
Polysperma

Fauna:
For now just Ramshorn snails

Dosing:
2ml of Metricide daily
Not sure when to start adding ferts

Any help on the when to start adding ferts would be greatly appreciated. I know reading though threads that most who use aquasoil generally don't fertilize for some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	772169  

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nlewis; 04-14-2019 at 12:48 AM. Reason: R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 03:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not sure if its the same as aquasoil? Can you test your water parameters? It would give you a good indication.

Dan
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I jumped right into my fert routine with Controsoil. In my eyes it doesn't have that blast of excess ferts in it from the start like the ADA stuff (I'm actually happy that it doesn't). I'm really curious to see how it works out for you and hear your thoughts on it. I prefer it to any other substrate I've ever tried (inc. ADA).
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I'm not sure if its the same as aquasoil? Can you test your water parameters? It would give you a good indication.

Dan
Yeah I'm super lazy when it comes to testing. I'll just wait and let the plants tell me.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua99 View Post
I jumped right into my fert routine with Controsoil. In my eyes it doesn't have that blast of excess ferts in it from the start like the ADA stuff (I'm actually happy that it doesn't). I'm really curious to see how it works out for you and hear your thoughts on it. I prefer it to any other substrate I've ever tried (inc. ADA).
I think I'll give it a few weeks and see how things are doing then maybe start dosing half of EI.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Growth is really slow but I am seeing some good signs. I think the Aromatica mini will need to be topped and replanted. The new growth is much smaller and I'm sure this is due to the lack of dosing and it transitioning to my tank which doesn't have pressurized Co2. There's also a few runners popping up here and there from the hair grass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	773465  

Just a noob

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Meet one of the newest tenants.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	774041  

Just a noob

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Meet one of the newest tenants.
Spill it!!! What is that bad mammajamma?
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Spill it!!! What is that bad mammajamma?
Apistogramma agassizii fire red
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

Just a noob

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Apistogramma agassizii fire red
Gorgeous.. do you have a pair?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Gorgeous.. do you have a pair?
Yep, his lady friend is currently in there with him.

Just a noob

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well things aren't really looking up. Still have super slow growth and I'm growing algae. I have diatoms which I expected to get and GDA. Good thing is the algae isn't growing on the plants, just the glass and substrate. I think the plants are still transitioning and getting used to Metricide.

Hair grass- all the emerald growth has pretty much melted away and I see some runners here and there.

Aromatica mini- tops are coming in better and larger than before. For whatever reason a lot of the stems have a lean to them instead of growing upwards.

AR mini- I'm not even sure it growing, if it is it's so slow I can't even tell.

Hygro corymbosa compacta- again super slow growing if at all.

Polysperma- new growth is larger and starting to speed up.

Pogo Helferi- 2 out of the 4 plants have pretty good growth.

@burr740 these plants were grown in with Co2 correct?

Thinking maybe I need to tone the light intensity back. I've been running all 4 bulbs and maybe just need 2. Not sure what par level I'm at with this fixture.

Forgot, I started ferts near the end of last week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	775585  

Just a noob

Last edited by Nlewis; 07-27-2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Edit
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Yeah all were grown with co2. And as I told you earlier Im not sure how they will do non-co2. If everything else right they should be OK, just slower, smaller, less colorful sort of things.

Think you definitely need to back down on the light, the more light you have the more co2 and ferts they are going to need. Less light = less demand = less chance of starving to death for CO2

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Yeah all were grown with co2. And as I told you earlier Im not sure how they will do non-co2. If everything else right they should be OK, just slower, smaller, less colorful sort of things.

Think you definitely need to back down on the light, the more light you have the more co2 and ferts they are going to need. Less light = less demand = less chance of starving to death for CO2
Just wanted to make sure. I figured they were and I figured they would falter a bit just wasn't sure how much. This being my first time using aquasoil, I'm winging it. I'm only dosing half of EI at this point and with this being the first full week of dosing, I think I'll see the plants respond positively.

With just 2 bulbs running the color is much better but it looks so dim, at least to my eye. I'll run 2 for a week or so and see how things go. Worst case I'll pull one bulb and run 3.

Just a noob

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Let's see how this turns out

Did you get Controsoil or aquasoil? Two different soils. Controsoil likes to be charged for a week or two. So it will bring down your gh until it's charged before leveling out. So depending on the gh level in water when charging it depends on how long it would take. I would keep an eye on gh till it's done. Once gh stops going down it's done.

Also are you remineralizing RO with gh? Recommend not to have kh in water as it will deplete much faster trying to get kh back to 0 anytime you add water with kh and cause some ph swings doing it. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm using straight tap water and I used Contosoil. I just tested the water and I'm reading a Gh of 4 and a Kh of 0. So the soil is definitely bringing both down especially the Kh. Who knows how much baking soda I need to bring the Kh up by 1?

Growth is still stagnant but I did see a little hope yesterday. I topped all the Aromatica mini and upon pulling plants up there was amazing root growth.

Bump: what I've gathered via the web is 1 teaspoon on baking soda per 25 gallons raised the dkh by 2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	776921  

Just a noob

Last edited by Nlewis; 07-31-2017 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode