"Insomnia" - ADA 75H - The Planted Tank Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
"Insomnia" - ADA 75H

I'm riddled with Insomnia, generally sleep about 4 hours a night, fine with me because I work from home and deal with international clients so I get at it about 4 am every day. Well, this also allows me to spend a lot of time cruising classifieds or online retailers and making ridiculous purchases...i've had random things show up at my house without much recollection of buying them (ex. brand new RC truck a few weeks ago, also have an old chopped model A door that sits on a wall outside ont he patio).

Well, I struck gold a few weeks back where I came across a guy selling a full ADA 75H setup. 75H, you may be asking yourself, wtf is that. Well it's been discontinued for years...some call it the "unicorn".

Let's just go through a little bit of what this ad included:

ADA 75H
ADA Stand (Although I suspect it may actually be DoAqua)
ADA Solar 1 and Stand
Eheim 2028
Milwak Reg
10lb CO2 Tank
Ada Lilly pipes
ADA Co2 Beattles
ADA Bubble Counter
ADA Check Valve (the one with this fancy ruby inside)
ADA Amazonia
ADA Powersand
Tons of extra Filter Media
Driftwood
Petrified Wood
and tons of other odds and ends....

The guy had ordered it all in 2008 and during the time it took to arrive they had bought a vacation home and realized maintaining a tank wasn't going to happen. So it has literally all sat unboxed since then.

As I handed him the $650 for it all, he proceeded to hand me his receipt for $3200

After figuring out where to set it up in the house, decided on putting it in my office with my 120P and 45P along with a mini. I'm probably going to tear down the 45P and the mini is currently being used to grow a bunch of buces that will most likely transfer into this new tank.

Currently, I'm debating on how to set it up, i've yet to find the perfect piece of driftwood...but also am thinking of going rock only. I've got some Seiryu stone from an old build I may use, or I may go new. I'm hoping to keep the tank full of buces and other slow growers as my 120P grows at a rate that has me trimming all week long and I can't handle that much on two tanks.

And so begins this journal. It'll be slow, i'm hoping to figure out my design by the end of the week and start filling next weekend. I've got a couple international trips coming up that will delay things a little bit....

I'm still like a little kid at a candy store, can't believe what I came up on. I most likely won't use most the ADA Co2 stuff as i like reactors, and have sold off a few other things that this buy will essentially make me money or have me breaking close to even.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	771217  

Name:	FullSizeRender 4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	771225  

Name:	FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	771233  

Name:	IMG_8044 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	771241  

jmontee, jmontee, Tyrone and 19 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow what a deal
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Manzanita come up....

Let the hardscape planning begin

Found a guy in eBay and realized he was only about an hour away and asked if I could swing by. Total tweeker dude, was a riot. Knowing whomever throws the first number out is the one who usually loses told him I wanted the lot and to name his price. He came in much much under the number I had in my head, and I ended up giving him more then he wanted.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8303.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	771545

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8314_1499819888188.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	771593  

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
Nice find! When coming across this without reading first, except for the title, I automatically saw the old ADA logo. I'm a bit jealous. When you get tired of it, I'll be eagerly standing in line! Sub'd

HBdirtbag and HBdirtbag like this.

~Tyrone~

post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Think I got the hardscape done. Got some Time to think about it as I'm traveling pretty heavy the next 3 weeks before I'd want to start getting plants in.

Also debating a sumo or not

post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tyrone, Tyrone, Wendy1B and 3 others like this.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Algae Grower

So is the aquasoil 9 years old then? Is it still good after that long?
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

"Insomnia" - ADA 75H

I have the old power sand and an old bag of aqua soil underneath. Laid a fresh bag of aquasoil on top . The guys at Afa felt this would be good. They actually didn't see much wrong with using the old stuff. It definitely has a much lighter color compared to the new stuff on top.

I have another 9l bag of new soil I may add as well

post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is going to be pretty awesome. You've got a lot of options with all that driftwood. I really like the first piece in there. Its a great focal point and with a few patches of fissidens and some buces it would look really aged
Dman911, Dman911, Wendy1B and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag View Post
second one for sure, exactly where you placed it

: Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?

: Because he's thirsty, dummy!
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

SOB... joking actually im just jealous of the score.
HBdirtbag and HBdirtbag like this.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I like the second one hardscape

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

So jealous! Great score and looking forward to this progressing.

Dan
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So. Finally got around to moving forward on this. Goal is a semi low tech tank. I need something Iím not going to do 50% weekly water changes on this.

Iíll lightly dose. Keep light semi low and hook up co2.

I think Iím going to change the light. The beam patterns is big and the light gets hot which isnít great as this is in my office next to my 120p/45p and a few small tanks.

Thinking the ai prime hd freshwater but it doesnít appear to be available yet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode