120 Gallon Planted Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
120 Gallon Planted Aquarium

Hello,
This is my journal for my 120 Gallon Aquarium.

About a year ago I went out to petco and bought a 55 gallon and began a planted tank. Soon I realized this tank was way too small for what I wanted to do. Over the past few months I checked Craigslist on a regular basis for a 75 or 90 Gallon Aquarium. I came across a brand new TopFin 120 Gallon Aquarium ensemble set for $150. I jumped on the deal and bought it. This journal will track the progression of said tank.

I started by painting the back of the tank black with acrylic paint. The tank and stand were then placed in my family room where my previous 55 was placed. The difference in size was larger than I had expected. I decided to dirt the tank because I was not ready to spend 200-300 dollars on ada soil. There is 1 large bag of MGPS which has my previously used eco complete on top which is then capped by Black Diamond Blasting Sand. The tank was then aquascaped with some Malaysian Driftwood.

Equipment:

Filtration:
Sunsun 304B canister filter
Rena XP4

Lighting:
Beamswork DA Fspec 30"(2)

Stocking:
6 Angelfish
2 Odessa Barbs
10 Black Neon Tetras
6 Neon Tetras
4 Cherry Barbs
1 Albino Bn Pleco
4 Otocinclus
Ghostshrimp

Plants:
Pygmy Chain Sword
Hygrophila Sacifolia
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Hygrophila Corymbosa Angustifolia
Ludwigia Repens
Rotala Indica
Amazon Sword
Crypt Wendtii Brown
Crypt Lutea
Red Tiger Lotus
Blyxa Japonica

I does PPS Pro and have plans to add pressurized co2.

Last edited by MasterofCloak; 09-08-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I added 10 neon tetras and 10 black neon tetras. The angel ate 5 on the neon tetras. I bought two Beamswork DA Fspec 30" for the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could add a school of 6-8 corys!

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

I vote for a school of corydoras too, but I would go for 10 minimum, cory's act very differently when in larger groups and its more fun to watch, just my 2cents, btw, are the angelfish in there? I don't see them, maybe hiding in the corner?

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan View Post
I vote for a school of corydoras too, but I would go for 10 minimum, cory's act very differently when in larger groups and its more fun to watch, just my 2cents, btw, are the angelfish in there? I don't see them, maybe hiding in the corner?
I second this. A dozen would be nice.
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm 100% down with getting corys. Thank you for the suggestion. The angelfish were hiding because I just put the lights on.

The platies will be rehomed. I got them as the first fish in my old 55. There is diy co2 but that nothing major. It's just a little addition. Pressurized co2 will be added.

I was looking for advice about my Odessa Barbs and cherry barbs because they are always hiding so I'm not sure what to do. I think maybe I need to get more of them so they feel comfortable. I will also add more angels but I'm afraid of them pairing off and being aggressive.

post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Planted Member

Man, your angels are really nice looking, so many times I see bent finnage and deformed shapes on angelfish these days, hard to see nice specimens, I really like the two marbles you have, I have kept Odessa barbs before and for me they were super active and always out and about, but when I added them I had had 6 I think and the tank was heavily planted already

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow tank looks awesome!! Dirt makes for such nice plants. It's too bad Angels eat Neons and Cardinals. It would look really nice. I had a very similar set up years ago. Dirted, paintball CO2, Angels, Rainbows, black neon tetras, and a couple pleco's. I just got so sick of the mess that would result from moving plants.
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan View Post
Man, your angels are really nice looking, so many times I see bent finnage and deformed shapes on angelfish these days, hard to see nice specimens, I really like the two marbles you have, I have kept Odessa barbs before and for me they were super active and always out and about, but when I added them I had had 6 I think and the tank was heavily planted already

The big one I bought a year ago when he was 1/4 of the size and he grown a lot. He has a lot of personality and is probably my favorite fish. The smaller one is new but it's grown a little. I really like black angels.

I'm also about to place in order on Wetplants.com. They seem extremely friendly and they care about their costumer from what I can tell. I'm going to by adding Hygrophila corymbosa, Hygrophila angustifolia, pogostamon gayi, jungle Val, and narrow leaf ludwigia to fill in the middle background of the tank. I'm also going to get red tiger lotus and crypt wendtii red for the mid ground. I want to experiment with some blyxa but I don't think it will grow that well. I may attach moss or narrow leaf Java fern to the wood. If anyone has plant suggestions I'd love to hear it.

kalawai2000 and kalawai2000 like this.
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofCloak View Post
The big one I bought a year ago when he was 1/4 of the size and he grown a lot. He has a lot of personality and is probably my favorite fish. The smaller one is new but it's grown a little. I really like black angels.

I'm also about to place in order on Wetplants.com. They seem extremely friendly and they care about their costumer from what I can tell. I'm going to by adding Hygrophila corymbosa, Hygrophila angustifolia, pogostamon gayi, jungle Val, and narrow leaf ludwigia to fill in the middle background of the tank. I'm also going to get red tiger lotus and crypt wendtii red for the mid ground. I want to experiment with some blyxa but I don't think it will grow that well. I may attach moss or narrow leaf Java fern to the wood. If anyone has plant suggestions I'd love to hear it.

You can't go wrong with crypts. Crypt Parva for foreground and crypt becketti has really nice color. You can never go wrong with anubias.
They would do really well in a dirt substrate.
kalawai2000 and kalawai2000 like this.
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Post water change/trimming

post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your tank still needs a large school of something, even if you get more large fish. Maybe diamond tetras.. something too big to be eaten.
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Your tank still needs a large school of something, even if you get more large fish. Maybe diamond tetras.. something too big to be eaten.

I think I might do black neons or serpae Tetras

post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Added more plants today.

Java Fern Narrow Leaf
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Hygrophila Corymbosa Compact
Hygrophila Angustifolia
Hygrophila Sacifolia
Red Tiger Lotus
Red Robin Sword
Crypt Lutea

The java fern looks kind of dead with a bunch of black spots all over. I'm not sure what to do.

post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Java fern takes on that appearance as it propagates, this is normal if under the leafs only. Soon there will be roots and shortly after new leaves sprouting from older growth. If its all over it could possibly be a potassium deficiency.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode