Dutchagumi ! - The Planted Tank Forum
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dutchagumi !

I have been hearing a few members encouraging people to do a detailed journal of their tank builds, so here is the start of my 34 gallon "Dutchagumi". I came up with that name because a couple people have said my aquarium looks kinda, sorta like a Iwagumi with a smattering of Dutch influence . It all began last October 7th, so fast forward 9 months & I am still trying to get it to the point where I am really happy with it. I really wanted to go with an Iwagumi style, but couldn't find the right equipment to do so. I used to live in a big city, but now I'm in a small town, where it is sometimes very challenging to find just the right plant , fish, or piece of equipment. Thank goodness for Amazon.ca !
I found this Fluval Fresh 34 gallon kit, originally online at a retailer in Vancouver, however it was out of stock, so I had to order it directly from Hagen in Montreal. It arrived in a timely fashion, and included a rimless 34 gallon tank, with a very sturdy stand ( some assembly required !) It's a drilled tank, with a Fluval 206 canister filter a Fluval Plant and Fresh 2.0 LED canopy, and a Fluval 88gm pressurized C02 kit.
I can not begin to describe how difficult it was to put the stand together ! It came with a parts list, but no instructions, and after a extensive internet search I was unable to find anything useful, with the exception of a short video in Spanish about "unboxing" . After several hours, and a lot of muttering from my hubby, it all went together ! I ordered a lot of Tropica 1-2 grow plants online, and used the Tropica Inspiration page to give me an idea of plant layouts, but I kinda drifted off in a couple directions, and my tank has evolved (mutated really) into something I am pretty happy with overall. I have gained a lot of valuable information from this forum, and I appreciate all the advice and tips many of you have offered along the way. I will continue to add more pix, as I find them. Thanks for looking !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	just arrived.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	770009  

Name:	in pieces.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	770017  

Name:	Tropica plants.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	770025  

Name:	day one.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	770033  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Love the title Eh! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Dan
Deedledee and Deedledee like this.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Love the title Eh! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Dan
Thanks ! It's been fun so far, but I wish I had started the journal last October when I set up the tank. It's a good thing I kept copious notes & photos 😉

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:14 AM
Planted Member

@Deedledee I highly recommend Aquarium Note if you are running android on your phone. It is a superior app.. no lie. Lovely journaling for sure.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto View Post
@Deedledee I highly recommend Aquarium Note if you are running android on your phone. It is a superior app.. no lie. Lovely journaling for sure.
Thanks, that's a cool app. I will have to read the instructions!

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedledee View Post
I have been hearing a few members encouraging people to do a detailed journal of their tank builds, so here is the start of my 34 gallon "Dutchagumi". I came up with that name because a couple people have said my aquarium looks kinda, sorta like a Iwagumi with a smattering of Dutch influence . It all began last October 7th, so fast forward 9 months & I am still trying to get it to the point where I am really happy with it. I really wanted to go with an Iwagumi style, but couldn't find the right equipment to do so. I used to live in a big city, but now I'm in a small town, where it is sometimes very challenging to find just the right plant , fish, or piece of equipment. Thank goodness for Amazon.ca !
I found this Fluval Fresh 34 gallon kit, originally online at a retailer in Vancouver, however it was out of stock, so I had to order it directly from Hagen in Montreal. It arrived in a timely fashion, and included a rimless 34 gallon tank, with a very sturdy stand ( some assembly required !) It's a drilled tank, with a Fluval 206 canister filter a Fluval Plant and Fresh 2.0 LED canopy, and a Fluval 88gm pressurized C02 kit.
I can not begin to describe how difficult it was to put the stand together ! It came with a parts list, but no instructions, and after a extensive internet search I was unable to find anything useful, with the exception of a short video in Spanish about "unboxing" . After several hours, and a lot of muttering from my hubby, it all went together ! I ordered a lot of Tropica 1-2 grow plants online, and used the Tropica Inspiration page to give me an idea of plant layouts, but I kinda drifted off in a couple directions, and my tank has evolved (mutated really) into something I am pretty happy with overall. I have gained a lot of valuable information from this forum, and I appreciate all the advice and tips many of you have offered along the way. I will continue to add more pix, as I find them. Thanks for looking !
When I decided to do a fresh water planted aquarium, I didn't have much experience keeping live plants. I have had an aquarium of some kind my entire life since I was a kid. Most recently prior to this one ,I kept only saltwater tanks. I started keeping marine fish in the mid 80's and have kept a couple mini reefs. I was always convinced nothing could compare with the beauty of a well maintained reef tank until I stumbled onto this site last year. So I decided to set up my first planted tank 9 months ago. I gained a lot of inspiration from many outstanding aquariums here on TPT. I was a bit overwhelmed by some of the technical details, but decided to jump right in ! I filled the 34 gallon with Seachem Flourite 45 lbs of the black, and 2o lbs of the Flourite sand underneath. I placed 24 Seachem root tabs in the substrate ( no, I don't work for Seachem) and started planting! I started with:

Heteranthera
Echinodorus Vesuvius
Cryptocoryne willisii
Ranunculus
Potamageton gayi
Pogostemon Helferi
Bacopa Caroliniana
Staurogyne repens
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hydrocotyl tripartita
Anubias barteri/ nana
Vesicularia montagnei
Micranthemum "Monte Carlo"

post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Planted Member

Love your hardscape and placement sir. Hits the rule of thirds points perfectly. Looking forward to seeing it grown out. Well done.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Love your hardscape and placement sir. Hits the rule of thirds points perfectly. Looking forward to seeing it grown out. Well done.
Thank you sir ! You may call me Madam , lol . Most of my scape has disappeared into the jungle I'm afraid! A mega pruning is in order soon. More to come....

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Thank you sir ! You may call me Madam , lol . Most of my scape has disappeared into the jungle I'm afraid! A mega pruning is in order soon. More to come....

Laugh sorry well that must be your hired help in the picture up top.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Laugh sorry well that must be your hired help in the picture up top.
Hmmm, I uploaded a picture. Does it not appear?

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Hmmm, I uploaded a picture. Does it not appear?

I was speaking of the one with all the parts in front of the fireplace. If that's you then you've got some short hair. You don't have an avatar picture that I can see if that's what you mean.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I was speaking of the one with all the parts in front of the fireplace. If that's you then you've got some short hair. You don't have an avatar picture that I can see if that's what you mean.
Oh ya, that's my husband. I wonder what happened to my avatar ? It shows up on my profile pix, so ?

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Oh ya, that's my husband. I wonder what happened to my avatar ? It shows up on my profile pix, so ?

Can you see it here in the stream?
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Can you see it here in the stream?
Nope, just a generic silhouette 🤔

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
So I just downloaded this app. I like it. May take a while to figure it out, but I like the way it simplifies things 👍

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode