75 Gallon Spotted Congo Puffer tank **RIP** - The Planted Tank Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
75 Gallon Spotted Congo Puffer tank **RIP**

Hey guys,

I grabbed a Tetraodon Schoutedeni " Spotted Congo Puffer " from a local importer a couple months ago. He has been in my 20 gallon long office tank since I got him while I got my 75 gallon re-setup. Many of you will remember that this same 75 gallon tank used to house Dueling Volcanoes. Today I really made a lot of progress with the 75 Gallon and decided enough progress has been made to start a thread on it!

If you don't know, the Tetraodon Schoutedeni or the " Spotted Congo Puffer " has been out of the hobby for the last 20 or so years. The reason is because where these are caught in the wild has been a war torn region and exporters have been unable to catch them. The area has started to calm down a bit and they are able to get back in there and catch them, so we are able to get our hands on them for the first time in 2 decades. The down side is that it is very much a sellers market on this fish, they are bringing as much as $280+ shipping right now. Expect prices to come down a bit over the next year or so. I also believe some people are attempting to breed them. So far he has been a great fish! The nice thing about this fish is that unlike most puffers, they are very passive, thats not to say they are peaceful, they are still a puffer species and you need to be willing to loose anything that is in the tank with them. Anything they decide is food wont survive for long. So I am excited to finally have this fish.

If you haven't heard of this fish, or don't know what it looks like I don't blame you, here are some pics I have taken of mine since I have had them.

Anyway, here is the 20 that he has been in for the last few months, its really empty in this picture compared to how it has been since I took a lot of the plants out of it to put in the 75. After I move the puffer from the 20 to the 75, all the plants will be going in the 75 and the 20 is being taken down.

here is the 75 gallon. The hardscape is done and the plants came from the 20 gallon. Expect a LOT more plants to be added.

Here he is, finally in the 75!

He seems to be really enjoying all the extra space and all the different size and shapes of driftwood has really made quite the extensive tunnel system. He will dip out of sight then appear on the other side of the tank.

Last edited by Sean W.; 09-20-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glad to see your back, I've been waiting awhile. How big do these guys grow to ?
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Glad to finally have a new thread from ya! What is the wood it looks really nice?!

Can't wait to see this dude grow!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

He is gorgeous!!!

Dan
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Glad to see your back, I've been waiting awhile. How big do these guys grow to ?
He is just about full grown. He might be able to pack on another 1/2" or so, but ya hes just about full grown. Another nice thing about this species is that they are very active, not shy at all. He is always front and center and greets me whenever I come up to the tank. So its nice that he doenst get lost in the 75 gallon.

I really WANTED a Fahaka puffer, but a 75 gallon is the absolute bare minimum size tank for them. Since I live in an upstairs apartment, I think I'm pushing it as it is with a 75 gallon. I'm not too bent out of shape about not being able to keep a fahaka puffer, they are much more expensive to feed. This lil' guy is very happy with pest snails and frozen blood worms.

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Has he taken to packaged food or are you breeding snails?
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwhyLE View Post
Has he taken to packaged food or are you breeding snails?
He loves frozen blood worms, but @burr740 did send me a nice care package of pond snails that I am currently in the process of breeding, got my first batch of babies the other day.

I am really enjoying the transition from keeping plants to keeping an animal.

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
He loves frozen blood worms, but @burr740 did send me a nice care package of pond snails that I am currently in the process of breeding, got my first batch of babies the other day.

I am really enjoying the transition from keeping plants to keeping an animal.
Nice! Yeah cichlids kinda did that for me raising them from 1.5" fry to 3-4" adults. Now I'm onto saltwater and reef. WHOLE new world. (pun intended) I still have my low tech plants in my minimal WC 55g experiment in my garage with some neons and angelfish. I'm looking forward for the progression of this tank. Keep up the good work!

Whens the first video?
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwhyLE View Post

Whens the first video?
When I get the tannins from all the driftwood under control

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Planted Member

Great looking fish and tank!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice work. What is the expected life span of the congo puffer? Have fun with the tank, that is what's important.

Tank Journal -
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
this is my dream puffer. have a 40 cube in my fishroom with its name on one of them. can't find them anywhere and they are $$$

Bump: this is my dream puffer. have a 40 cube in my fishroom with its name on one of them. can't find them anywhere and they are $$$
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Hey guys,

I grabbed a Tetraodon Schoutedeni " Spotted Congo Puffer " from a local importer a couple months ago. He has been in my 20 gallon long office tank since I got him while I got my 75 gallon re-setup. Many of you will remember that this same 75 gallon tank used to house Dueling Volcanoes. Today I really made a lot of progress with the 75 Gallon and decided enough progress has been made to start a thread on it!

If you don't know, the Tetraodon Schoutedeni or the " Spotted Congo Puffer " has been out of the hobby for the last 20 or so years. The reason is because where these are caught in the wild has been a war torn region and exporters have been unable to catch them. The area has started to calm down a bit and they are able to get back in there and catch them, so we are able to get our hands on them for the first time in 2 decades. The down side is that it is very much a sellers market on this fish, they are bringing as much as $280+ shipping right now. Expect prices to come down a bit over the next year or so. I also believe some people are attempting to breed them. So far he has been a great fish! The nice thing about this fish is that unlike most puffers, they are very passive, thats not to say they are peaceful, they are still a puffer species and you need to be willing to loose anything that is in the tank with them. Anything they decide is food wont survive for long. So I am excited to finally have this fish.

If you haven't heard of this fish, or don't know what it looks like I don't blame you, here are some pics I have taken of mine since I have had them.

Anyway, here is the 20 that he has been in for the last few months, its really empty in this picture compared to how it has been since I took a lot of the plants out of it to put in the 75. After I move the puffer from the 20 to the 75, all the plants will be going in the 75 and the 20 is being taken down.

here is the 75 gallon. The hardscape is done and the plants came from the 20 gallon. Expect a LOT more plants to be added.

Here he is, finally in the 75!

He seems to be really enjoying all the extra space and all the different size and shapes of driftwood has really made quite the extensive tunnel system. He will dip out of sight then appear on the other side of the tank.

Wow very nice fish.... I didn't know that.

How big is he? Looks very small next to some of the plants. How long do these guys live for would love to set up a new tank and get one of these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

What driftwood are you using? Also is that Black Diamond blasting media?

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Wow very nice fish.... I didn't know that.

How big is he? Looks very small next to some of the plants. How long do these guys live for would love to set up a new tank and get one of these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you took a ping pong ball and kinda elongated it, thats about how big he is, thats the size of his body. I'm not sure how long they live for, but for as much as I paid for him, I hope survives for a few years haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
What driftwood are you using? Also is that Black Diamond blasting media?

Its just Malaysian driftwood, that is black diamond blasting sand!
chayos00 and chayos00 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode