Nigel's Forest scape 34gal - The Planted Tank Forum
 180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nigel's Forest scape 34gal

Got bored of my Iwagumi and wanted to do something with spiderwood. Decided to make my own forest.

Have a look at my Youtube channel
>> www.youtube.com/nigelaquascaping
<<

Final video

My tank with black background in the room.

nigel aquascaping enchanted forest black background by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Recent picture
detail shot forest scape by nigel aquascaping by Nigel H, on Flickr

forest 8 by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr
forest detail 128l nigel aquascaping by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr
Specs planted tank aquarium
Tank
80x40x40 cm / 31x15x15" opticwhite 8mm
34 gallon / 128 litre

Lighting
Chihiros rgb 60

Hardscape
Lava rock
Spiderwood

Substrate
ADA Aqua Soil

Shrimp
50+ Red cherry shrimp

Fish

20 green neon tetra

Snails
10 Clithon sp.

Plants
hydrocotyle tripartita
cryptocoryne parva
fissidens fontanus
fissidens mini
solenostoma tetragonum
Bucephalandra (soon before flooding)

Co2
Pressurized CO2 with a diffusor
Co2 checker edge (20 ppm)

Heater
Hydor eth 200 temperature 25 celcius

Filter
Eheim experience 350 (2426) with stainless steel lily pipes

Background
Frosted glass spray

Day 1 Hardscape & DSM

Day 36

Day 60
forest scape 128l day 60 p3 by Nigel H, on Flickr

Day 75

Day 95
More details
day 95 forest aquascape by nigel aquascaping by Nigel H, on Flickr

Day 115

Progress
details growth by nigel by Nigel H, on Flickr

Tank 80x40x40 cm - 34g / 128L

image uploader

Yoghurt method experiment
[/B]Got some fissidens fontanus from someone. Trying out the yoghurt blender method to attach mosses on my lava rocks. Thanks for the idea @shaman.

Yoghurt method moss dsm

More info about this see
http://bolbiaquarium.blogspot.nl/201...e-yoghurt.html

image uploader
Waterlogging all pieces hopefully they will not dry completely out during my dry start to attach mosses to hardscape.

image uploader

To be more safe to avoid floating spiderwood I zip tied spiderwood pieces to a piece of slate. These will be buried in the substrate. So far it seems promising as pieces sink immediately in a bucket.

image uploader
kyle3, kyle3, forrestcook and 15 others like this.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 10-13-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Rough sketch of the planting. Critique please

WM = weeping moss
CP = cryptocoryne parva
FF / RC = fissidens fontanus / riccardia chamedry folia

Some anubias petite and bucephalandra mini needle leaf random in the scape. Should I put them in crevices or glue them?

The 'path' isn't really planted because if I do all the roots will become hidden by plants.

Maybe I will put some trees more diagonal to prevent the scape from being to static,

Planning to raise the substrate more at the back as I have enough soil from my Iwagumi to create more depth. Something like 4 cm front, left back 13 cm, center 8 cm and right back 10 cm.

free image hosting

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Planted Member

Personally I'd glue it as, imo, the glue is only temporary and it gives you many more placement options. Just one opinion. Looks like it's going to be very cool.
Nigel95 and Nigel95 like this.

post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like it's going to be a beautiful tank

Low tech planted tanks

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Nice setup! That should look great
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very cool! Given any thought to fauna yet?
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

A forest tank is my dream to make. Still new to the hobby and have a lot to learn, but it's my goal. Your hardscape is exactly what I want to do one day. The spiderwood is gorgeous, and your placement creates a lot of depth. Looks like Fangorn forest from LotR!
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love the idea of a spiderwood forest.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Very cool! Given any thought to fauna yet?
Thanks!

20 Green neon tetras
17 Amano shrimp
20+ Red cherry shrimp

Will be transfered from my iwagumi. During the dry start to attach mosses they will be in a smaller tank for a few weeks.

Maybe some snails would look cool but I don't want the eggs of nerites all over the place and want to keep it under control (breeding of other species).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
A forest tank is my dream to make. Still new to the hobby and have a lot to learn, but it's my goal. Your hardscape is exactly what I want to do one day. The spiderwood is gorgeous, and your placement creates a lot of depth. Looks like Fangorn forest from LotR!
Thank you

I am also pretty new to this hobby (since March 2017). First I thought a forest scape would be to complex to start with but this hobby is all a learning curve. Once has to be your first time so go for it!

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ordered a chihiros rgb. Hopefully I will like the 8000k cold view.

New plant list due low par with just 1 light unit (~36 par.)
So I skipped the riccardia chamedryfolia as it requires at least 50 par.

Decided to add a little bit of
hydrocotyle tripartita. Riccardia chamedryfolia will be replaced with solenostoma tetragonum.

Plant list
hydrocotyle tripartita
Crypt parva
Weeping moss
solenostoma tetragonum
Fissidens mini and fontanus
Bucephalandra kedagang mini.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hardscape so far in tank. Still need to glue the roots together.

Tested some lava rocks in water that has been in dsm for four weeks and the amano shrimps are pulling everything off. So I guess I can't have amano shrimp at the start in the tank. What would be a good algae eaters that will not blow the delicate moss off? Maybe RCS? Not sure if they will keep algae under control.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The hardscape looks quite a bit better in the tank, and I thought it looked great in the box. Are you glueing the moss on, if so it shouldn't come off. Maybe thread?
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
The hardscape looks quite a bit better in the tank, and I thought it looked great in the box. Are you glueing the moss on, if so it shouldn't come off. Maybe thread?
Thanks

The moss was applied with the yoghurt method. Not sure what to do with the mosses I ordered. I like the yoghurt method maybe just skipp the amano shrimp for the first months in the scape.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh well if your doing the yogurt method then I would just leave the shrimp out for the first couple weeks. Maybe a month if you wanted but i think it would be grown enough by then.
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

More mosses, plants and stuff to continue the scape

Damn those mosses are expensive for what you get!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5396.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	777521

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Tags
aquascape, aquascaping, forest scape, nature aquarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode