5.5g Low Tech planted Betta-Scape - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5g Low Tech planted Betta-Scape

I have been prepping and prepping to build this tank, so I'm going to start a tank journal. Planning to have a small cherry shrimp colony with a male betta. If the cherry shrimp end up being snacks, then it'll just be a betta. This will be a low-tech tank, equipment so far

Marineland 5.5g Rectangle tank
Flourite Black Substrate
Tetra Whisper 10i internal filter with DIY media
Great Choice 15w Internal Heater
Hampton Bay Architect Desk Lamp with Sylvania 800 Lumen LED 5000K

A little Shrimp Hide that I've created

View from Above

lisals and lisals like this.

Last edited by Smooshface; 07-05-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yesterday I found out about a new LFS that was supposedly "the biggest and best in town". It actually was pretty nice, a little dirty and run down, but huge selection and other than the betta section, the fish all looked very healthy.

They also had a huge selection of plants with their healthy looking fish. Their prices were better than the online prices I have seen and they had some REALLY nice looking Anubias Nana and some pretty good looking Java Fern (2 of the plants I've been looking for for my tank) so I unexpectedly got them. I also picked up some small dragon stone pieces to tie those plants to since you can't really plant them to start.

After a salt bath and then rinse, it was time to do some planting.

Before Water

Top View, look at how green those Anubias are, 4.99 EACH for a big one like that.

Finally, after some water, the cloudiness will settle after a bit.

For the DIY filter media (not super DIY, just not what comes in the whisper) I bought a Fluval Sponge

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/pro...-filter-block/

For BioMedia I got fluval BioMedia, I wanted to just use lava rock, but couldn't find any small amounts of small rocks.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/pro...filter-biomax/

I also have Polyfil for a water polisher and I kept the Whisper10i water scrubber in there.

I popped the bottom off the filter and added a sponge along the intake to protect the shrimp and betta's tail. Inside, in the large area, I put the sponge, some polyfil and then the biomedia held in by the water scrubber. Then in front of the water scrubber, I packed in some more polyfil.

I am still trying to figure out what plants to use in the foreground. I've thought about grabbing some Anubias Nana Petite to line the driftwood like shrubs and maybe some crypt parva to make a "carpet" I'd also like something in front of the filter behind the big rocks, maybe a val or corkscrew val something semi-tall that would work with this setup. I'm definitely open to suggestions for the foreground.

I've also gone ahead and started the fishless cycle, I have food in the tank and the filter and heater running. (as well as the light on a timer). I have some quickstart I may use once I start to get an ammonia reading and I've considered using media from my established tank, but one of my fish had cotton mouth and I'm afraid to add that media and maybe infect this tank, so I'll probably refrain from that.

Once the water finishes clearing up from the water polishing, I'll post another picture.

Last edited by Smooshface; 07-05-2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Adding filter and plans
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Algae Grower

The tank is looking great! I say definitely go with the anubias petite in the foreground around the edges of the driftwood and stone it really helps balance the tank out with the taller plants in the back.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhippie View Post
The tank is looking great! I say definitely go with the anubias petite in the foreground around the edges of the driftwood and stone it really helps balance the tank out with the taller plants in the back.
Thanks! I'll have to find a place to order some petite, as the local stores don't have them. Any suggestions for the area in front of that.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 12:58 AM
Algae Grower

I dont know what kind of lighting you are running but I have heard people having success with HC "cuba" and monte carlo if you are looking for a carpet. I personally think it would look good with just the anubias petite along the wood and rocks and the taller plants in the background I say plant the anubias petite and take it from there if you arent satisfied.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I decided to test the water today, It's had water for about 36 hours with fish food in it. Now the substrate and the and hardscape have been up for over a week maybe 2 and the substrate was damp from being rinsed, but the tank was pretty much dry. So, imagine my surprise when my ammonia was as high as the test could read, but I also had Nitrates and Nitrites. I'm going to be doing a pretty large water change today, and then add my quick start and see where I am tomorrow. I may be ready to add shrimp a lot earlier than anticipated.

Now I just need to find a good place to grab some Anubias Petite. There was a guy on the forums that was selling 8 for 15 bucks, but I missed that sale, cause that would have been awesome. I'm thinking that and some Crypt parva for the front, we'll see.....
lisals and lisals like this.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

Ordering some off of amazon is always an option if you cant find any in your lfs. I have had good luck buying plants and shrimp off of amazon.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (41/100%)
I kept a betta in a 29g with a colony of cherries and over a few months he hunted down every last one.

Looks like a good start to a nice tank!

265g-Planted Community
29g-Planted
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fishippie, I just bought some anubias nana petite (6 of em) off of ebay, and some val to go in the right in front of the filter.

Bowles, Thanks for the compliment! I'm guessing that's what will happen, but I've also seen it work (my lfs has a betta that lives in their cherry shrimp sales tank) so I have my fingers crossed.

I just did a 50% water change, and my water is still as dark as the ammonia test can go. I tested my tap water and apparently it comes in at 1.0ppm according to my API test kit, but even after the water change it's showing at 8.0 ppm in the aquarium water (could be higher, don't have a test that goes higher) but still getting nitrates and nitrites. So hopefully with daily changes, my bacteria can start pushing it down and my plants can eat some of those nitrates.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, my tank IS cycling, Nitrates are at 20ppm and Nitrites are at 1 ppm. My Ammonia is still at 4 ppm, so it's probably still got a ways to go. I don't want the ammonia to hurt my plants, but at the same time I don't want to do large water changes and slow my cycle. I'm going to let it sit for 24hrs and see where it's at, I've done 2 50% water changes yesterday, since Ammonia was off the charts, and now I guess I'll watch it.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Algae Grower

One more thing if you are planning to keep shrimp with a betta it may be a good idea to anchor some java moss to part of the driftwood. I anchored mine with just green thread and you cant even see the thread at all.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhippie View Post
One more thing if you are planning to keep shrimp with a betta it may be a good idea to anchor some java moss to part of the driftwood. I anchored mine with just green thread and you cant even see the thread at all.
I have an irrational hatred for Java Moss. I had some in my last tank and didn't have sharp pruning scissors and it ran rampant. I hated it. I now have good scissors, maybe I should consider it. I did create a few small caves and areas that the betta won't be able to reach for them to hide in.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

Im hoping mine will run rampant as I love heavily planted jungle tanks, im actually scared some might die because some anubias leaves are right up against it
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think you'll be okay, I'm fairly certain Java Moss could survive the apocalypse
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, my Nitrates and Nitrites were going up, but my Ammonia was staying steady at somewhere between 6 - 8 ppm, so, I did a significant water change, Ammonia is now down to 2ppm, so we'll see how it goes in a day or two.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode