Started with a 10g.. Now i'm in love with my 5g "fry" tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Started with a 10g.. Now i'm in love with my 5g "fry" tank.

So about 4 months ago i take my daughter to a Fair and of all things she wins a Feeder goldfish..... So i had to take it home !!

It was in a little bowl for about a month b4 it got too big.

So i went to Petland and bought a 10g starter tank... For a while it was just the loan goldfish. My daughter then became bored with the tank as all 3 year olds do with anything ..

So i adopted it, and this is my try at turning it into a planted tank...

The idea is to have some rockwork in the scape and maybe a slim piece or 2 of driftwoord with moss growing.. I will also like to keep some livebearing fish and some green cover for the babies to hide out.

So this is what i have soo far.... every week i buy a plant or 2 and add to the tank with no real intent on scaping just yet.

Plants:
*Java fern (2)
*Sword , not sure what kind, it was labled as Brazilian (3)
*Bananna plant (3)
*and i think this plant is a Coffee Anubias (1) maybe a Petite Nana?

Plants i would like to get..
Blyxa japonica ,Barclaya longifolia ,Dwarf Hairgrass ,maybe the very front of the tank in Glosso or HC, some Taxiphyllum barbieri for the driftwood and any other suggestion you guys can give..

Fish:
*Fancy Guppies (3)
*Platies (2)
*Albino Cory (1)

Well on with the pix... Next week i will be swapping out the gravel for Black Flourite, and retro fit some better lighting.

FTS

Banana Plant.. when i got it 2 weeks ago there were only about 3 leaves.. It then sprouted a stalk that grew up to water level.

This was the result of that stalk

Then it got even more weird.. This is one of the leaves on my Java Fern.. I assume this is how they reproduce.. Looks like a root system with a stalk at the top growing directly on the underside of the leaf.

Another plant , same deal

And today i noticed while takign these pix that another stalk is coming up from the gravel at the root of the Fern on the 2nd plant.

And this is that mystery plant.. There is a stalk of somthing next to it also. I have no idea what that is either (it was there b4 i got the "mystery" plant.. I just planted it next to the "mystery" stalk to give it some cover from the rooting Cory. ID from you guys would be great. Thanks in advance.

Random!!

Last edited by Pootie; 01-03-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
My two cents...Your mystery plant appears to be coffeefolia. Id add two to three more cories. These a schooling fish and will be more comfortable with some buddies. Your brazilian swords will WAY outgrow that 10g. One will even outgrow it. Nice pick on the platys.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That thing on your java fern is actually a plantlet ready to be seperated from it's mother. Just don't burry the rhizome.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:40 AM

Me likes!!!

Good job and good luck!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
My two cents...Your mystery plant appears to be coffeefolia. Id add two to three more cories. These a schooling fish and will be more comfortable with some buddies. Your brazilian swords will WAY outgrow that 10g. One will even outgrow it. Nice pick on the platys.
Good call on the Coffeefolia. Well i guess i will be donating the Brazilian swords to any one in the NYC area. The platys came from my brother's tank. They are both gravid and should drop fry soon. I have a 5g tank ready for them till they grow large enough for the Parents to not eat.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks Great! I cant tell for sure, but make sure you don't bury the rhizome on your Java Fern, it may rot.

+1 on the adding a couple more Albino Cory's
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
That thing on your java fern is actually a plantlet ready to be seperated from it's mother. Just don't burry the rhizome.
sweet!! well there are about 2-3 per leaf on the Fern. Do i let them grow out more b4 i propagate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallon-guy View Post
Me likes!!!

Good job and good luck!
Thanks
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
Looks Great! I cant tell for sure, but make sure you don't bury the rhizome on your Java Fern, it may rot.

+1 on the adding a couple more Albino Cory's
So what exactly is the rhizome, and if not to burry it, How do i keep the plant put?

Is the rhizome burried in this pic?

And yea. I will pick up another pair tomorrow. I like the Panda Corys. Would it make a difference. Would they still school and get along?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I also have 2 lil Girls and i am a car/racing nut... So last thing i need is another expensive hobby. My wife will leave me for sure! So i'm trying to keep this thing as cost effective as possible. :-/

The reason for this thread.My almost 3 year old Ariyana.But i am glad that she is showing some interest in the tank now that "stuff" is going in. She mainly just wants to splash the water and feed the fish.

And My 9 month old Soapy "Sophia"

And my "other" Child..
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think your swords will do fine, at least for a while, you can always trim the roots back to keep them managed.

The rhizome is the stem the leafs are attached to. You can keep them held down by super glue on a rock, even a piece of gravel. The roots will naturally root and hold it down.

Im actually not completely sure if a different cory species would school with your cory. I've only done Albino's, and I love them.

I would let the little plantlet grow on the mother plant and let it find its way down to the gravel. It will grow faster that way.

And you will love the look of black Fluorite. Your Cory's will look good with it too.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
I think your swords will do fine, at least for a while, you can always trim the roots back to keep them managed.

The rhizome is the stem the leafs are attached to. You can keep them held down by super glue on a rock, even a piece of gravel. The roots will naturally root and hold it down.

Im actually not completely sure if a different cory species would school with your cory. I've only done Albino's, and I love them.

I would let the little plantlet grow on the mother plant and let it find its way down to the gravel. It will grow faster that way.

And you will love the look of black Fluorite. Your Cory's will look good with it too.
I'll play it by eye. If the older leaves start spreading out too far, or too high , i will get rid of them.

Funny thing was, i picked the smallest Swords out the bunch.. They all had about a 3" stem and a 2" leaf. It's been a month and the leaves that have reached the water level i clip them.

Now the new leaves have almost no stem and is all leaf. Is this from me trimming them or maybe low light and the plant changed with a leaf with more surface area to collect more or as much light as possible.?

Or this is what happens naturally?

I am going to get to the LFS today with Ariyana to get some Flourite and Corys. (another Albino, and a pair of another kind.).
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cute kids, nice civic (I'm not really into cars but it looks like an ej1?)

I've read of trimming plants to train them to stay low, maybe that's what happened? And yes, it looks like your rhizome is buried.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Yes, dont bury the rhizome on the java fern or the anubias. They both tend to do better if you can get a piece of driftwood to attach them to. This is easily done with cotton thread or fishing line. If not theyll do Ok in just gravel if theyre not planted too deep.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
im surprized no one said not to bury the tubers of the banana plant yet. you can bury them about half way and eventually it will root.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedCali View Post
im surprized no one said not to bury the tubers of the banana plant yet. you can bury them about half way and eventually it will root.
True. His look like theyre OK tho. Especially since theyre putting up floating leaves.

BTW, dig the dubstep. and girltalk for that matter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode