Plukes 5 Gallon Planted Tank (For Shrimp) - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plukes 5 Gallon Planted Tank (For Shrimp)

Set this up last night. This is my first real swing at a tank where I'm doing something a little serious. It's not fancy and the black rim/obvious silicone from a cheap tank bothers me a bit, but I had it lying around so why not. If this goes well I'll invest in a nice tank.

Light: Finnex Fugeray Planted+
Substrate: Fluval Stratum
Plants: Dwarf Sag, Echi Ozelot Green and Crypt Retrospiralis.
Filter: Aquaclear 20

I filled the tank last night using standard air tubing since I heard this substrate can make a cloudy mess. It took forever, but filled clear for the most part. A few of the plants came uprooted while filling but was an easy fix with some tongs. I can see why some might complain about this substrate for planting, but it's not that bad. The background on the tank is driving me crazy and I think I might just put on a black one instead. I originally wanted to stand the driftwood to look like a gnarly tree, but had a hard time so that's how it landed, I think it looks pretty good that way.

I'm not too familiar with plants so I chose plants from buce that, according to them, did not need CO2 injection and were beginner plants. The crypt is medium light.. so hopefully it lasts, I for some reason thought it was low-med when I ordered, but too late now. The Echi I feel like will be too big for this tank but hopefully it works out, I was surprised by it's size. I'm forgetting what kind of driftwood I used, bought it at the local fish store. Used RO water. I put two flourish tabs in the tank near the dwarf sag and crypts. Here's hoping all goes well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170630_085720.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	768601  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170630_081033.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	768609  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You want to pick up some salty shrimp GH + for whatever cardinia species you decide on and a TDS pen on Amazon. This will ensure you have consistent parameters and help you monitor water quality better (& faster) than liquid GH and KH tests. Looks a good start
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
You want to pick up some salty shrimp GH + for whatever cardinia species you decide on and a TDS pen on Amazon. This will ensure you have consistent parameters and help you monitor water quality better (& faster) than liquid GH and KH tests. Looks a good start
Thanks, I got the TDS pen on Thursday and I'll be getting the minerals soon enough. I don't plan on putting something in here for a while anyway. Need to get it cycled and squared away before I add them. Trying to stay patient!
Roshan8768 and Roshan8768 like this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
Thanks, I got the TDS pen on Thursday and I'll be getting the minerals soon enough. I don't plan on putting something in here for a while anyway. Need to get it cycled and squared away before I add them. Trying to stay patient!
Sweet, always the hardest part. I actually picked up some stratum as well and am getting ready to reset one of my tanks with that in an attempt to try cardinia shrimp for the first time as well. Just have to finish some school work and send you your plants before I start on that project haha. What shrimp are you thinking? I think I will learn how to keep them with some crystal reds and then transition to something fancier like PRL, Bluebolts, or Shadow Pandas. That sword is going to be massive haha, can't wait to see how it looks

Bump: You will want to get a sponge prefilter for the HOB as well to protect your baby skrimps. I also vote for the black background lol, can't stand anything else these days
Pluke and Pluke like this.

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
Sweet, always the hardest part. I actually picked up some stratum as well and am getting ready to reset one of my tanks with that in an attempt to try cardinia shrimp for the first time as well. Just have to finish some school work and send you your plants before I start on that project haha. What shrimp are you thinking? I think I will learn how to keep them with some crystal reds and then transition to something fancier like PRL, Bluebolts, or Shadow Pandas. That sword is going to be massive haha, can't wait to see how it looks

Bump: You will want to get a sponge prefilter for the HOB as well to protect your baby skrimps. I also vote for the black background lol, can't stand anything else these days
Yup, I have the prefilters already, I'm just waiting to put it on so it filters any big chunks before I put it on. It looks hideous otherwise, at least the one in my gf's tank does. I'm not sure what shrimp I want to get. I do love the blues though and the greens are cool as well, though I feel I'd want something that stands out a bit more. We'll see when the time comes, I'll probably go with whatever is easily found at the time with a reliable source and decent price. I'm not picky atm. I have some orange neo's in my gf's tank and I think I'll be adding a few more to it now that they're happy. Had one casualty out of three, but it's been a week and the male and female I have left are quite content. They look great, too.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I second the notion of Salty Shrimp GH+. Very clean tds wise and perfect for all shrimp. What kind of shrimp are you going to get for it? Mine has been stocked for about a little over a month now so hoping for some breeding soon. Oh I also suggest Bacter AE. Very good stuff helps build the bio film needed especially for a newer tank where it will have very little at first. Good setup looking forward to the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
I second the notion of Salty Shrimp GH+. Very clean tds wise and perfect for all shrimp. What kind of shrimp are you going to get for it? Mine has been stocked for about a little over a month now so hoping for some breeding soon. Oh I also suggest Bacter AE. Very good stuff helps build the bio film needed especially for a newer tank where it will have very little at first. Good setup looking forward to the progress.

Thanks!

I plan to do the Caridina shrimp, leaning towards something blue, but not sure at this point. I have seachem stability for building biofilm.. but judging by the description of Bacter AE, it's definitely different, more of a food. I'll pick some up. Do you think it's something I should start adding before I add shrimp or just wait? I don't want to pollute the tank if there is nobody in there to clean it up.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks!

I plan to do the Caridina shrimp, leaning towards something blue, but not sure at this point. I have seachem stability for building biofilm.. but judging by the description of Bacter AE, it's definitely different, more of a food. I'll pick some up. Do you think it's something I should start adding before I add shrimp or just wait? I don't want to pollute the tank if there is nobody in there to clean it up.

I would wait until you have inhabitants before adding it. It's a bit different than your typical bb from seachem stability. This helps with the bio film that is only present enough with aged tanks. I really like the bacter ae as my tank was not aged long enough before adding the CRS. Apparently this stuff is what the professional breeders use so that is good for me

What I suggest is when you do start using it to only do half dose every three days. Is possible to overdo it so use with caution. I dose half dose every three days and they love it. Another good I recommend is kens veggie sticks with calcium. This stuff is really good for them and they absolutely swarm to it when I put in tank.

Most important thing is know the water parameters your shrimp are coming from and try to match as close to that as possible. Then if you do need to change for whatever reason do it ever so slowly. These shrimp hate sudden changes and you can wipe an entire colony doing so. This is why it's also highly recommended to do small water changes like 10% once every week or two at most. I do one when my tds gets close to or hits 200. These shrimp do not like a lot of stuff in the water i.e. Tds.

I recommend to have easy care plants in there so you do not have to dose a lot of ferts. Lots of ferts build up the tds. I highly recommend the ThriveS as this stuff is great and is geared towards shrimp tanks. What I really love about the ThriveS compared to regular EI is it's much easier to keep the tds down. I only need to dose twice a week half dose and keeps my nitrates below 10 and phosphates below 1 and the plants remain happy which my tank is heavily stocked and all the shrimp are happy.

Also another recommendation is pre treat your water a few days ahead of time and make sure try to match the temperature as close as you can. Aged water is much better to put in then newly treated water. I do half tap and half ro and remineralize to get me a gh of 5 and kh of 1.75. I keep the temperature between 73-75. Never goes higher than 75. Have only had about a month but this is all info I have learned after tons and hours of research for the best chance of success.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would wait until you have inhabitants before adding it. It's a bit different than your typical bb from seachem stability. This helps with the bio film that is only present enough with aged tanks. I really like the bacter ae as my tank was not aged long enough before adding the CRS. Apparently this stuff is what the professional breeders use so that is good for me

What I suggest is when you do start using it to only do half dose every three days. Is possible to overdo it so use with caution. I dose half dose every three days and they love it. Another good I recommend is kens veggie sticks with calcium. This stuff is really good for them and they absolutely swarm to it when I put in tank.

Most important thing is know the water parameters your shrimp are coming from and try to match as close to that as possible. Then if you do need to change for whatever reason do it ever so slowly. These shrimp hate sudden changes and you can wipe an entire colony doing so. This is why it's also highly recommended to do small water changes like 10% once every week or two at most. I do one when my tds gets close to or hits 200. These shrimp do not like a lot of stuff in the water i.e. Tds.

I recommend to have easy care plants in there so you do not have to dose a lot of ferts. Lots of ferts build up the tds. I highly recommend the ThriveS as this stuff is great and is geared towards shrimp tanks. What I really love about the ThriveS compared to regular EI is it's much easier to keep the tds down. I only need to dose twice a week half dose and keeps my nitrates below 10 and phosphates below 1 and the plants remain happy which my tank is heavily stocked and all the shrimp are happy.

Also another recommendation is pre treat your water a few days ahead of time and make sure try to match the temperature as close as you can. Aged water is much better to put in then newly treated water. I do half tap and half ro and remineralize to get me a gh of 5 and kh of 1.75. I keep the temperature between 73-75. Never goes higher than 75. Have only had about a month but this is all info I have learned after tons and hours of research for the best chance of success.

Well, maybe I'll try and mix the RO water with the city water I can get access to. My well water is way to hard, 12 KH, didn't even bother trying GH, the water turns yellow after an hour. What I'll probably do is just mix some of the RO and city tap and see what kind of results I get. My gf's tank is now half RO and half city and all the fish/shrimp are happy, haven't had any casualties since. Whatever happens, I'll keep a 5 gallon bucket standing by with the water I'll use to do changes. That way it's at room temp and has the parameters I want.

The plants I chose for this tank, according to buceplants, don't need CO2, that's why I chose them. Hoping they're low maintenance. As far as fertilizer, there is 2 flourish tablets in the soil right now. I'm really trying to add as little as possible to the water once the shrimp are there. I'll check out the thriveS though it sounds good.

Update on the my tank: The PH is about 6.4, it's gone up since I started it. My piece of driftwood is getting a tiny bit of white fuzz growing on some of it, I boiled the wood before using it, but read this could happen. Hopefully it doesn't get out of hand. My crypts are possibly "melting". Not all of them, but a few leaves from them are turning white and basically shriveling up / turning to what looks like slime. I was told in the description that they might melt after planting, so I'm assuming this is what's happening.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Well, maybe I'll try and mix the RO water with the city water I can get access to. My well water is way to hard, 12 KH, didn't even bother trying GH, the water turns yellow after an hour. What I'll probably do is just mix some of the RO and city tap and see what kind of results I get. My gf's tank is now half RO and half city and all the fish/shrimp are happy, haven't had any casualties since. Whatever happens, I'll keep a 5 gallon bucket standing by with the water I'll use to do changes. That way it's at room temp and has the parameters I want.

The plants I chose for this tank, according to buceplants, don't need CO2, that's why I chose them. Hoping they're low maintenance. As far as fertilizer, there is 2 flourish tablets in the soil right now. I'm really trying to add as little as possible to the water once the shrimp are there. I'll check out the thriveS though it sounds good.

Update on the my tank: The PH is about 6.4, it's gone up since I started it. My piece of driftwood is getting a tiny bit of white fuzz growing on some of it, I boiled the wood before using it, but read this could happen. Hopefully it doesn't get out of hand. My crypts are possibly "melting". Not all of them, but a few leaves from them are turning white and basically shriveling up / turning to what looks like slime. I was told in the description that they might melt after planting, so I'm assuming this is what's happening.
Mixing the water might work for neos (like the orange sakuras you have in the other tank) but would probably be an expensive experiment with cardinia. I've tried it before with some pretty poor results even though "my numbers" (GH, KH, TDS, PH) were spot on. Remineralizing with a dry mix like ss is the way to go for consistency and shrimp health

You probably wont need too many ferts to start off with, it's a rich substrate and as you said you have a few root tabs. If anything you might need to pick up some micro nutrients down the road (2-3 months) and maybe like 5-6 months down the road if you have a high plant mass you might need macros as well. Leave the crypts alone, they will probably come back just fine after acclimating to your water. Are you thinking shrimp only for this tank or a few fish as well?

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I didn't plan on having fish, though I wouldn't mind adding something for cycling, like white clouds.. but who knows. Rasbora are cool, too. I'm just a little torn on that matter considering it's a small tank.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, good news. My tank has somehow already cycled. Hasn't even been two weeks and I just got a reading of 0 ammomia/nitrite and 5ppm nitrates. I had 3 white cloud minnows in the tank for a day.. and live plants that I ordered online, not sure why it cycled so fast. I've had my 10gal up for a month almost and it's getting nowhere. Used both prime and stability on them and some "colony" nitrifying bacteria as well.

I have my Bacter AE and salty shrimp gh+ coming in the mail soon. What are some good/reliable sources to order shrimp from? Not getting them for a while longer, just want some idea of where to shop. Thanks.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have CRS/CBS in my tank now and they are doing well after a few days. Only problem I'm having is this awful brown algae which I believe are diatoms.. just wondering what the best solution may be. Plants seem to be doing well, dwarf sag is spreading slowly from one plant.. seems like the others haven't sent shoots that have surfaced yet. Here's some pictures.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Diatoms are almost inevitable from new tank syndrome. I would keep the photoperiod light and also make sure the light is not too strong. The good thing is diatoms are really easy to clean and scrapes right off.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Diatoms are almost inevitable from new tank syndrome. I would keep the photoperiod light and also make sure the light is not too strong. The good thing is diatoms are really easy to clean and scrapes right off.

I was away for the weekend and they exploded. I had taken an air tube and kind of siphoned out the bigger globs before I left and 48 hours later I have this. I lowered my lights to two 4 hour intervals before I left. Apparently I need to lower it even more. I heard carbon helps to so I'm dosing excel a bit even though I wanted to refrain since I have some new residents. I haven't used much though and I haven't used the thrive fertilizer since I got them on Tuesday.

I'll keep you updated.. I plan to clean the tank up a bit tonight, siphoning with an air tube while I clean the surfaces with my finger. Hopefully it goes away sooner rather than later.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode