ADA 60F - Iwagumi Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)
ADA 60F - Iwagumi Journal

Hello everyone,

After a pretty long break from the hobby, I've finally started a new tank.
It's been set up for just about 3 weeks now, and I've decided to start a journal for it.

Specs:

Tank: ADA 60F - 60x30x18cm
Filter: Eheim 2215
Light: 2x24W T5HO
CO2: Milwaukee regulator with custom needle valve (can't remember the name, bought it years ago)
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil
Hardscape: Seiryu stone

Plants:
HC Cuba
Staurogyne Repens
Elatine Triandra - Mislabeled Hemianthus sp. amano pearl grass?

Fauna:
Norman's Lampeye
Otos
Amano shrimp
Black Cherry shrimp

6/2/17
Started with a dry start for only a few days. Got impatient so I just filled it.

6/9/17
Filled

I used established filter media from a friend, so the tank was cycled very quickly.

6/18/17
Added 12 Norman's Lampeyes

Of course, the pictures don't show it, but they are really really beautiful fish, probably my new favorite.
Seeing them in person is a whole different feeling

I'm using Elatine Triandra as a background plant; not sure how it'll turn out but we'll see.
It had a bit of a rough start, but now it's looking pretty healthy

6/25/17
Most recent photo:

I bought a Twinstar knockoff called Chihiro's Doctor, mainly for the increased O2, gonna see how that goes.

Sorry for the poor picture quality.. I'm gonna need to get a camera.

My HC seems to be struggling in some areas of the tank with less flow, even with a 2215. I'm using an ADA Spin lily pipe knockoff. I like it, but I may need to switch to a more traditional outflow because of the tank's length.

I appreciate any comments or criticism, and I'll try to start updating frequently.
Thank you!

Last edited by joonho; 06-29-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some of the pictures actually came out pretty good! Really nice setup and welcome back to the hobby. Maybe you could try placing the inflow and outflow on the same side so the water has to circulate the whole length before it goes into the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

All looking good

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking really good, love the dimension of the 60f, may need to try scape a take this sized one day.

I also recently saw some lamp eyes at my local aquarium store, they really are stunning in person. I may have to buy some for one of my tanks, do they seem happy enough in the iwagumi style layout?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys!

I ordered a new outflow pipe on ebay, so when that gets here I'll switch it around.

And the lampeyes seem to be doing great. They've all been eating well since day 1 and are very active and playful.
They don't seem to mind the lack of hiding spots, they spend most of their time out in the open, or at the front begging me for food. They're in a pretty loose shoal most of the time, unless they get scared or I start sticking my hand in the tank, then they bunch up really tight.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Love it!

Dan
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower

Damn jealous

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Subscribed~ beautifully laid out stones. Just like a really mountain, and I love the ADA "F" tanks, They look so good especially with an iwagumi like the one you set up. I will be following this thread, keep us updated thanks!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Small update:
Some good and bad news

I've been getting great growth from the Hemianthus sp. in the back
and I got new Giesemann light bulbs - 1 Tropic and 1 Super Flora. After I installed them, my plants were starting to suffer and I'm starting to get some algae.
The next morning, I found one of my lampeyes dried up on the floor and then my cat quickly came over and ate it, so I guess its life wasn't wasted..? lol
I think the new bulbs are putting out much more PAR than my old bulbs, so I just raised them a few inches. Hopefully, things will get better now.

HC not looking too good.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Algae Grower

The tank looks stunning!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
im looking into getting this exact same tank... you like it yes? !
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Really nice tank! Simple and elegant

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Very nice layout. With HC I've had the best results when it's kept very short.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

How is the chihiros doctor so far?

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:26 AM

Hello,

Very nice tank.
About the lamb eye's fish they are very sensitive to dark, they will jump out of the tank when lights off. But they're beautiful and active also tend to breed alot like guppies

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode