Fluval flex 9 gallon Father's Day tank! - The Planted Tank Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval flex 9 gallon Father's Day tank!

Happy Father's Day to me! Just got a 9 gallon fluval flex set up today. Ultimately I'd like to grow small chain swords, crypts and a few hygros. My wife would like a small colorful livebearer so maybe endlers in this tank. That's a few weeks off while we cycle.

The placement. The built in shelf is OSB under the wallboard with a 2x4 running back to front. Should be plenty for a 9 gallon tank.

The rocks. Had these from my crop of rocks for the 120gallon. These were more red and the 120 will have a heavy gray leaning in the hardscape so it worked out great.

Thing number one, helping me check out the new toy. The first gen had large overflow holes, big enough for most nano fish to swim back and forth through. The newest versions include this semi circle guard which reduces the size of the holes but I'm sure fry are still going to be able to go back and forth at will. I'll have to DIY a solution with some foam down the road.

The hardscape as I plan on keeping it for now.

The first crop of plants I bought... not the species I want long term but they were available and I can grow them out a bit to seed the next tank as well. Some bacopa, dwarf and Pygmy chain sword, a hygro and some ludwigia. Not sure on exact IDs, the crypts I want will be more specific but were unavailable today.

Sloppy planting. I miss my tweezers from forever ago. Ordering a new set asap.

As it sits now. Playing with the lights, adding a red or a pink to the white is probably the plan, since I've read the red spectrum is important. The cloud and thunderstorm settings seem pretty useless IMO, can't figure out why I would want flashy lights in my tank.

No heater etc yet, going to see where this levels out for the next week or two. Soil is ADA ammazonia light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My father's day
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A new 120g is coming!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

Do those semi-circular guards come off? My Flex didn't come with them, I filled the back area with sponge to keep the Chile rasboras put of there

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellife View Post
Do those semi-circular guards come off? My Flex didn't come with them, I filled the back area with sponge to keep the Chile rasboras put of there

*out of there. The pump's flow rate is too high on my Flex plus it isn't adjustable like it was on the Spec models. Did Fluval add an adjustable lever on your model's pump. Looks like your tank is the second generation of the model I have.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:

Yes, they're a snap on accessory, I may still have to do the sponge trick, I've seen it on YouTube and it's pretty straightforward.

Closer view of my feature rock.

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

Fluval recommends using 2 Aquaclear #30 sponges, that's what I'm using for now. They fit just right in the space.

forrestcook and forrestcook like this.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

Tank is going to look great. Is that Quartzite rock?

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Fluval recommends using 2 Aquaclear #30 sponges, that's what I'm using for now. They fit just right in the space.

Even better, thanks!

Edit: no adjustable lever.

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Tank is going to look great. Is that Quartzite rock?

I got it from the rip rap pile at my local rock and sand dealer. It looks like a mix of granite and quartz. The rest of what I got for the 120 looks more basalt-like. I'm hoping the red streaks don't overdose the tank on iron. I'm not a geologist so who knows if my assumptions are good. Didn't do the acid test, will wait to see if algae covers this thing.

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

That's the same thing I did for hardscaping my tank, rock yards are a great resource. I was also very worried about any leeching from the rock but they've turned out to be just fine.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Planted Member

Looks like a good start!! Do you have anymore rocks? A traditional iwagumi should have an odd number, if that is what you are going for.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

30g Reef
Fluval Spec V Planted
UNS 3N Wabi Kusa
UNS 5N Planted
UNS 60U Planted
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
Looks like a good start!! Do you have anymore rocks? A traditional iwagumi should have an odd number, if that is what you are going for.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've got more rocks, I may add one down the road. As far as style, I'm just going for what looks good to me. I like wilder more overgrown tanks so this has a looong way to go. Dosing excel, trying to figure this whole planted tank thing out again.

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got some plants in from Reddit aquaswap today. Too many for this tank but I have a coworker who is starting a flex as well that I'll be spreading the wealth to.

I was worried when I saw the package on my doorstep, found out via tracking info that it was delivered an hour prior in our breezy cool Arizona summer. No knock from the mailman, I was sitting in the next room the whole time!

Had some styrofoam, nothing else. Plants were pretty warm but not melted.

I had ordered a few crypts and anubias, got a bunch of bonus stems and some java moss as well. I'll likely pass on most of my stems and moss next week.

The messy, cluttered tank as is. I have a line on some blueberry shrimp and possibly endlers next week when I'm hoping to be cycled. My test kit hasn't come yet so I don't even know where I am in the process yet.

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just a quick update to a specific plant I love in here... growth update for hygrophila pinnatifida.

Day one, folded up with two small leaf buds on top.

Day five, opened up and the buds are noticeably larger.

Day six

Day eight, the former buds are now basically full leaves and there are two new buds sprouting.

The tank is using the stock lighting, soil is Ada Amazonia light and dosing is excel once per day... I know it's not a super high light plant but I love this species and I've very happy it grows well here! When it's a little taller I'll start trimming and planting to increase the growth.

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

First tank I've tried to cycle in a loooong time. I will need to do the standard ph test since the high range doesn't apply (thanks aquasoil). My ammonia looks to be a spot on match for 0.25, my nitrite looks like zero and my nitrate looks to be 10-20.

I have two theories. My tank is cycled and the aquasoil is still leeching ammonia OR my tank is not nearly cycled and my treated tap water just came with nitrates.

Anyone have some input? If option one is true, how long does Amazonia light continue to dump ammonia?

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wrong thread!

My father's day

A new 120g is coming!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode