Joe's planted discus tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 6 Post By Jjonesls1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Joe's planted discus tank

This is my first tank I've had since childhood. May Dad had some sweet reef tanks when I was a kid, and I always had a fresh water tank in my room. At age 33 I got bit with the bug again, mainly because my 3 year old son is obsessed with the fish room at our local pet store.

I decided I wanted to get back in to fish keeping with no real direction. I just bought what I thought was a cool tank. I decided I wanted to do a planted tank, but had no real idea of what so ever about planted tanks. While my tank was on the way I started researching different set ups, plants, compatibility, ect.

I knew that in the end I wanted discus (which I had never kept and needed to research as well), but decided to start my tank with some basic plants, and basic fish, just to make sure I could keep those alive first.

Below are some photos of the tank as it has evolved. The tank is currently about 4 months old.( The manazanita piece changed from a tree to the current canopy setup the day I came home and discovered one of the discus lodged in the lower "loop" section, dead). It's finally at a point where I'm somewhat satisfied with it, but I'm sure that will change soon. The 'scape has never had a clear direction or intent, it's just evolved with what fits my eye and what seems to be working best for the plants and fish.

Comments, suggestions, and critiques are certainly welcome. I'm very much a novice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Dman911, Dman911, sfsamm and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks good. What sort of filter and water change schedule do you use?

Other fish in the tank?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sump filtration with 400 micron filter sock changed daily for mechanical, 2nd chamber of the tank has bio balls. I change 50% every 3 days.

As far as other live stock there are 3 honey gourami, 2 flame gourami, 3 balloon Rams, 6 sterbai Cory, 1 vampire pleco, 1
albino BN, and a couple of neons that have avoided being eaten (of 20 originals)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode