75 gallon dwarf cichlids and Rainbows (Rams have eggs!) - Page 15 - The Planted Tank Forum
 495Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The only way I've found to make that hygro thrive is to somehow convince it you just don't care. Not terribly helpful, I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
The only way I've found to make that hygro thrive is to somehow convince it you just don't care. Not terribly helpful, I know.
That's my exact experience! I tossed a couple stems into my little 11.4 and didn't do anything other than turn the lights on and off daily and recharge the DIY CO2 when I remembered. It grow like wildfire... now it's in perfect conditions with pressurized C02 and ferts and it's wilting away...
I also ordered a pair of Triple Reds from ApistoDave. Im going to just have to watch and see what happens. I'm undecided if I hope that the Triple Red Gold or the regular Triple Red breeds with the female.

Last edited by The Dude1; 09-05-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #213 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Added some Bacopa Caroliniana and I'm thinking about some anubias nana.

I don't know what happened to the hygro Pinnetifida, but it was melting.. I just tore out what would come out. I'm still happy with how it's filling in. The moss is growing fast and really nice... I should have some to put in with some trident java fern on the mesh wall of the other 75 soon.
I've got a pair of Apisto Caucatoides on the way. I may remove on of the Gold Caucatoides so that there are just the 2 males in there as opposed to 3. I might add another pair as that might be my only way of getting females. The lone males will get the lower 75 soon as the cichlids and syno's in there now should be ready in the next few weeks to go in the big tank. I also got 2 new timers so I can put the lights on timers as opposed to turning them on and off like I do know. I am going to have one set come on an hour after the C02 and then the other fixture come on 2 hours later. The main lights will go off when the C02 does, but the dimmer fixture will stay on for a couple more hours.
I got most of my stuff for the reactor for the 150. I want to bring the actual tubing in to make sure I get the right barb fittings.

post #214 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
You've got room to have two pairs of Apistos in one tank, why are you so adamant about only having a trio? Looks like your tanks are starting to get there. I'm enjoying watching the development of the two tanks at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
post #215 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
You've got room to have two pairs of Apistos in one tank, why are you so adamant about only having a trio? Looks like your tanks are starting to get there. I'm enjoying watching the development of the two tanks at once.

I would ultimately like to have 2 pairs, but right now I've got 2 males and no one will sell females outside of a pair.. That will always leave at least one unpaired male per tank. They are so pretty that I really don't want to lose any. I'm hoping if I keep a single pair in a tank for a while that they will be successful in raising some fry and I can get my ratios evened out or at least diluted enough to not have fatalities. As long as the syno's are in the bottom 75 that leaves only the top one as a possible home for a breeding pair. These guys are gorgeous and full of personality. I can understand the following they have generated.
post #216 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking good so far

Stay safe down there in Florida!

Low tech planted tanks

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
post #217 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post
Looking good so far

Stay safe down there in Florida!
Kind of funny.. my wife wanted to board up windows clean out the garage to get the car in there, buy more food and water (we have plenty) I was trying to figure out how to get all the equipment for the tanks onto the same small generator... I don't know what I'm going to do if the power does go out... I don't want to spend thousands on a generator for a house we are selling in 3 years...

Last edited by The Dude1; 09-06-2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #218 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
75 gallon dwarf cichlids and Rainbows (now high tech!)

Ah! I remember this now!

RAOK Club #24
post #219 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm going to swing by Home Depot for the plug adapters I need for the timers and get the rest of the stuff for the reactor today. I've got ALOT of homework and studying, but I'd love to get the C02 pumping into the 150. Maybe even change out some of the crushed coral substrate to get the pH down to a more plant friendly level... anybody have any idea how much would be safe to change out at a time? I've got 3 filters on there... I'd like to get a nice sword and some crypts in there...
post #220 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm going tomorrow to get some multi outlets and another maybe 15 gallons of gas for the generator. I can hook up the filters and everything to the generator at least for a couple hours each day. Going to fire it up tomorrow and make sure everything is working as it should. I may have to figure out the draw and make sure the generator can run 8 filters.... probably not...

Bump: APISTO HELP

So do I remove one of the Gold males and put the new pair in with the other gold?? Or do I leave the 2 established males in there and just add the female?? I think the new male will be about as big as the Africans in the other tank so I think he'll be fine in there at least until they are big enough to move into the other tank... getting a successful breeding pair is pretty important to me..

Twin high tech 75's -
post #221 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just wanted to give a suggestion.
If you can get to Walmart or any sports place that sells fishing stuff... they have battery powered air pumps.
The ones at Walmart that I bought.. bigger ones cost about 7something and smaller ones were 4something. They had different kinds but these were the cheapest ones

Not the greatest solution but it's something at least if your power goes out.
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #222 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I got my head slapped on those bubblers. Almost $17 a piece and now I can't find D cell batteries

Twin high tech 75's -
post #223 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Woah.. 17 a piece for the ones I pictured? There were some more expensive ones too. I remember seeing some black one for $20.
Yeah... I couldn't find any D batteries in walmart. Thankfully we have a Sam's membership and I found some there.
Anywho... stay safe down there. That hurricane is about to swallow you guys up.

Low tech planted tanks

post #224 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Apisto's came today... just stunning... I put both into the top tank and planned to remove one of the Golds, but I struck out on catching them. Thus far everyone is keeping to themselves and tolerating one another. The female is gorgeous... and everyone is very interested in her. I have no doubt I'll get more Caucatoides from Dave and whatever other Apisto I choose.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I got my head slapped on those bubblers. Almost $17 a piece and now I can't find D cell batteries
Mine are only for 8 gallons too... I got 4 of them. If it comes to it I'll set one in each tank and run the filters for a couple hours each day on the generator.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #225 of 548 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those fish are special. I hope this storm is not what it looks like. Be well!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode