• 10 Post By JonA
  • 2 Post By JonA
  • 2 Post By JonA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first tank as an adult

My mom had a tank when I was really little and I remember there was Rainbow Tetra's and angelfish in there. I grew some garden plants last year and that was the first time I didn't kill everything I planted. I saw some youtube videos with aquariums with real plants, and that intrigued me because I really don't like the plastic plants that I was accustomed to seeing. I did a little research before buying and got a Fluval Spec V. I liked it since it had the filter and pump integrated.

I used mgps with a bdbs cap, and lava rocks for the hardscape. I put Monte Carlo in the foreground, S. Repens in the background, and glued some Anubias nana petite to the rocks. Later on I got some frogbit, and there was some duckweed and another type of floating plant.

It's currently stocked with RCS, amano shrimp, 6 ember tetras, 1 pea puffer, 1 assassin snail, and a ton of pond snails that hitchhiked in on the Monte Carlo. It started with two small pond snails that I noticed and I watched them grow rapidly over about a month. Next thing I knew there were hundreds of snails. That's why I got the pea puffer, and the assassin snail. I just got them last weekend and already the assassin snail has ignored the pond snails and has eaten three of the shrimp.

I battled some green hair algae and diatoms. I got rid of the hair algae with excel, and the diatoms just ran their course. I'm currently addressing my frogbit that is having some issues. I have some Thrive for shrimp coming. I'll see if that has the iron that I want to add, if not I'll get it from Seachem.

Here is a pic when I got the hardscape done.

Me and a buddy were having a good time drinking some beer. My buddy vapes so we had some fun with that.

The first day it was planted.

Here's the monte carlo with algae all over it. The shrimp are slacking.

Bump: Here's how it is today. The Anubias is doing really good. Hopefully I can split the rhizomes soon.

When live gives you lemons make a lemon drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:34 AM
Planted Member

That is looking very nice!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

Great looking tank, definitely going to give me some inspiration as I figure out the plants to put in my Spec V! All four of yours were already on my list, and your tank just reinforces those selections!

What's your lighting & CO2 setup and what ferts are you dosing if any?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRogers View Post
What's your lighting & CO2 setup and what ferts are you dosing if any?
Just stock lighting. I might get a LED flood light to see if it improves growth. I'm using the DIY Co2 from [Ebay Link Removed] I use baking soda and white vinegar, it's super cheap and lasts 3-4 weeks before I need to recharge it. I don't follow any directions, just put dry baking soda in one bottle and vinegar in the other. I have Flourish and Excel right now. I have Thrive for shrimp on the way because I wanted an all in one fert. In another thread someone suggested a lack of iron might be causing the problems I'm having with the frogbit. I'll have to see if the Thrive has Irom or if I'm going to have to buy it from Seachem.

I have a 54 gallon corner tank I'm going to be putting together soon. I just need to get the stand worked out. I bought a corner cabinet for it but I need to figure out a top for it.
JollyRogers and JollyRogers like this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonA View Post
I'm using the DIY Co2 from [Ebay Link Removed] I use baking soda and white vinegar
I haven't heard about that 1. Could you PM me a link to it?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PM sent. I don't know why the link was removed. Just search for DIY co2 in Ebay. I used the first one that pops up. I got that from ebay because the Amazon one ships from China and the delivery time was longer than I wanted. The diffuser and bubble counter came from China pretty quick.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
PM sent. I don't know why the link was removed. Just search for DIY co2 in Ebay. I used the first one that pops up. I got that from ebay because the Amazon one ships from China and the delivery time was longer than I wanted. The diffuser and bubble counter came from China pretty quick.
Ebay links are not allowed. The link provided in PM is the one I tried which uses citric acid. You stated you are using vinegar. What is you mixture solution? I had problems with a cap leaking.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just put a half a box of dry baking soda in one and fill the other one 3/4 of the way with white vinegar. No leaks on mine, maybe you just got a bad one? I think you can get the caps alone for a dollar. Shipping is more.
Hilde and Hilde like this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I just put a half a box of dry baking soda in one and fill the other one 3/4 of the way with white vinegar. No leaks on mine, maybe you just got a bad one? I think you can get the caps alone for a dollar. Shipping is more.
That is interesting!! Baking soda was a 1lb box or 8oz box ?

I had tried 2 different caps for the output from 2 different suppliers so I gave up and trashed the caps.

Last edited by Hilde; 06-18-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: changed text
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 pound? I looked at the 8 oz box in my fridge and I think it was bigger than that one. Costco sells like 5 or 10 pound bags for under $10, both it and vinegar is super cheap.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You have inspired me to try the DIY Co2 again. I bought the caps on Ebay for $2.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Update pics, please.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I use baking soda and white vinegar, it's super cheap and lasts 3-4 weeks before I need to recharge it.
How are you planning to recharge it? Do you have a bubble wand for when lights are off. Did you something similar to these instructions at SWOG?:
SUPPLIES
200g~400g of baking soda powder
1L of vinegar
2 empty soda bottles
DIY Co2 Kit
Tubing
Check Valve
Bubble counter
Diffuser

Setting Up
  1. Get 2 empty soda bottles. They MUST be from soda drinks for soda bottles are manufactured to withstand higher pressure than your normal non-carbonated drinks.
  2. Pour 200g~400g of baking soda powder into one bottle. No need to mix with water. Just raw powder form.
  3. Screw the bottle containing the baking soda into the socket with the tube that DOES NOT have the ball-head. Make sure it is tight. Be careful not to over screw and risk damaging the threads.
  4. Pour 1L of vinegar into the second bottle. DO NOT FILL MORE THAN 1L or you will cause the baking soda bottle to be overfilled later on, and into your tank!
  5. Screw the bottle containing the vinegar into the socket with the tube that has the ball-head. Make sure it is tight as well.
  6. Attach one end of the long tubing to the outlet that is on the screw valve.
  7. Next, estimate tubing needed from your bottles to the tank.
  8. Then connect your check-valve, bubble counters, and diffuser.

Starting the reaction
  1. Outlet valve open.
  2. Give the bottle with the vinegar bottle a really hard squeeze.
  3. You will need to give the vinegar bottle a handful more squeezes before the reaction can be self-sustained.
  4. Once you see vinegar started flowing without your intervention it is time to shut the valve.
  5. Now let the pressure build up. Keep squeezing the vinegar bottle until you cannot squeeze any more.
  6. The pressure gauge at 1.5 reading you can slowly release the valve. If everything went well, you can see the diffuser fizzling immediately.

Last edited by Hilde; 10-25-2017 at 01:31 AM. Reason: undid the bold setting

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode