• 2 Post By Omar EAZi
  • 2 Post By Omar EAZi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post New 165g tank aquascaping

Hello,

So a friend of mine suddenly learned about planted aquariums and aquascaping, and decided to change his 165g tank that some discuss fish and like 3 plants to a fully planted/scaped aquarium.
So first of all, the discuss was given to his cousin, we emptied the tank, and now we're slowly working on scaping it.
The 2 things that he really wants in his tank is first a Tree, and then a hill on the corner.
We went and bought few stuff today just to see how things will work out in his tank, and thought from there we'll either add more rocks, or more trees etc..
So for now we just bought ADA aqualite soil, few rocks and a wood piece.
Now I'll keep sure to keep this Journal updated as we gone.

Some specs:
Tank
180lx40wx65h cm
Lights:
EASY Led Universal light
Soil:
ADA Soil
Plants:
Hair grass
UG
Filter: ATM SunSun(not sure of capacity, but we're aware it's not sufficient, we'll probably add another once we decide to stop the DSM and fill the tank).

So this is how the tank looks like

The soil

So this is the setup that we came up with atm. On the right corner we've set the rocks this way, because we planned on getting more rocks to close a corner and add it with soil and create a hill effect.
It's definitely not the best scape possible for this size of tank, but as I said he wants a Tree(that wooden piece on the left will be covered with moss to give us a tree effect), and he wants a hill which is going to come on the right side. Now I want the forums help and suggestion on how to scape this tank with having those 2 things I mentioned, and most importantly it should not be VERY complicated, something that we can scape easily.
If you guys give me any youtube videos with something similar to our setup, or if someone has a similar looking setup and can show me some photos so I can get an idea on how to go on from this spot on would be highly appreciated.
also 1 more thing, he wants a full carpet. covering the area that has no other plants. so no empty spots.

So this is basically it, I'm 100% open to suggestions and ideas or even existing pics/videos of similar setups.

Thanks alot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Omar EAZi; 06-13-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Adding specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
New 165g tank aquascaping

The biggest thing I would mention right away is get a bigger tree. Take the time find a bigger piece of wood that you can use it will be well worth it in the end. Try to find something where the focal point of the tree will be 2/3 up the height of the aquarium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McCarthy and McCarthy like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
The biggest thing I would mention right away is get a bigger tree. Take the time find a bigger piece of wood that you can use it will be well worth it in the end. Try to find something where the focal point of the tree will be 2/3 up the height of the aquarium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, we'll to go and check for something a bit bigger than the tree we have right now, if it lacks details from the top I think we'll have to add details by sticking a sponge somewhere and then covering it with moss to give us a fuller effect of tree.
appreciate your input mate.
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 01:14 AM
Planted Member

Could need more substrate, which should be spread out a little smoother, and I would clean up that stand. Is that duct tape on the edges? I'd remove all that, make the surface smooth and paint it white or dark grey. Maybe it's just me, but that stand negatively distract from anything you will scape.

Willcooper is right, that small piece of wood is lost in this large tank.

PS: A Iwagumi style scape and discuss fish don't go together in my book.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
Could need more substrate, which should be spread out a little smoother, and I would clean up that stand. Is that duct tape on the edges? I'd remove all that, make the surface smooth and paint it white or dark grey. Maybe it's just me, but that stand negatively distract from anything you will scape.

Willcooper is right, that small piece of wood is lost in this large tank.

PS: A Iwagumi style scape and discuss fish don't go together in my book.
yeah that stand will be fixed soon as well, the discuss are not coming back they're gone forever.
McCarthy and McCarthy like this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Some updates,
so after a little thinking, we thought we'll just keep it simple. we went with this setup for now.

Unfortunately the store that we deal with ran out of plants, so most of what we could get was this. UG plant between rocks, and hairgrass will be the carpet covering the rest of the tank.
More updates in few days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode