• 2 Post By MaeKay
  • 2 Post By MaeKay
  • 2 Post By shamrock62081

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 gal novice planted tank journal

I'm definitely still a beginner. But I've done a lot of research. Bare with me as I journal what I learn.

55 gal
7 neon tetras
6 hatchet fish
6 false julii cories
Several Amano shrimp
4 red cherry shrimp

GH 5
KH 6
pH 8.2
Finnex 24/7 planted + on timer for 11 hours a day (24/7 setting)
Black diamond blasting media*
Flourish excel dosed daily
Flourish dosed weekly

Tank started in February

*Yes, I know black diamond sand is inert but it was cheap. And supplemented gravels like eco-complete will loose their nutrients within a year or so, so I am going to try just dosing with ferts and using root tabs...we'll see if this was a big mistake...so far it seems fine

The Ludwigia is doing awesome, so awesome I pinched it all back. It branches but only one branch. So I'm not sure if I'm accomplishing the "bushier" effect.

Pennywort grows fast but just looks ugly. Possibly melt? It was so gorgeous for a few weeks when I first got it. Wonder if it doesn't like Excel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SallImSayin and SallImSayin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

These are all from 5/13/17

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added root tabs (osmocote plus) on 6/7. Hoping to see some improvement.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Started my 55 gal at the same time as you. Consider myself a novice as well though I've had a planted 20gal for years that I never took too seriously. Your tank is looking nice! Looking forward to see it "grow".
MaeKay and MaeKay like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock62081 View Post
Started my 55 gal at the same time as you. Consider myself a novice as well though I've had a planted 20gal for years that I never took too seriously. Your tank is looking nice! Looking forward to see it "grow".

Same here. I had a planted 29 gallon 10 years ago but I hadn't done nearly as much research as this time. This tank has been up and running since February, so 4-5 months.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am also a beginner and am setting up my second planted tank.

One thing I did right was to use soil under sand and I had really good growth, until my home made lights started to fail.

If you are having poor growth, you could use shallow pots filled with soil and placed under the substrate. That way you wouldnt have to redo the whole tank.

Point of reference, in soil my amazon swords grew from about 6" to 16" in about 2.5 months. And this was with cheap DIY led light strips. Also, my ludwigia grew more densely and deeper red.

I think the limiting factor in your tank is substrate. It is much cheaper to get some soil than it is to keep investing in root tabs. Your tank is lightly planted so pots under the substrate would probably work great.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
I am also a beginner and am setting up my second planted tank.

One thing I did right was to use soil under sand and I had really good growth, until my home made lights started to fail.

If you are having poor growth, you could use shallow pots filled with soil and placed under the substrate. That way you wouldnt have to redo the whole tank.

Point of reference, in soil my amazon swords grew from about 6" to 16" in about 2.5 months. And this was with cheap DIY led light strips. Also, my ludwigia grew more densely and deeper red.

I think the limiting factor in your tank is substrate. It is much cheaper to get some soil than it is to keep investing in root tabs. Your tank is lightly planted so pots under the substrate would probably work great.

I like the idea of pots. We tried soil capped with sand and it was a disaster. The soil and sand just mixed and then the soil floated.

I'm impressed with how well they're doing since I have only been dosing with excel for a month and before that it was just fish waste. Far from ideal but we didn't want to invest in expensive substrate at first.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode