60 Gallon Cube Low Tech - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
60 Gallon Cube Low Tech

I haven't had a big tank in my house for some time now, ever since I sold my reef a couple years ago. I've had a 12 long running with Neos for a while and surprisingly my wife decided we needed a big tank again. She said her favorite tank we've owned was the 55 planted from about 5 years ago so I set about finding a "new" tank. For some reason I can't justify the cost of a brand new tank when really good deals can be found so that's what I did! I found a reef ready Marineland 60 gallon cube on Craigslist with stand for $100, talked her down to $90.

The tank itself isn't too bad, some scratches in the front and side panel but they aren't really noticeable when the tank has water in it. The stand was another story though. I usually build my own but this one had good bones and was the perfect size so I set about stand beautification. Pics below. I still haven't put sealer on it so it will darken up a bit more. Lots more pics to follow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	761665  

Name:	stand2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	761673  

Name:	stand3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	761681  

Name:	stand4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	761689  

Last edited by Dragonfish; 01-09-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Awesome! I like what you've done to the stand. Love seeing people do the diy rebuilds on things(not just aquarium stuff!!) I would never be able to come up with something so crafty.

I love the shape of that tank. Any plans on what y'all will be doing with the new tank? On the cube style tanks, I'd suggest that you make sure to have driftwood that occupies the full depth of the tank & not something that only goes 1/3 of the way to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm on the hunt for a centerpiece of driftwood. Have been for weeks! I also don't plan to completely cover it in plants, I like to see the hardscape. I'll probably also use some leftover dragon stone I have lying around. Being low tech I'm going for buce and crypts, but I'll try to get some more unique crypts for it. Also, no carpet! This will be a sand bottom, possibly dirted. Crypt parva will be the closest thing to a carpet in it.
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

"Hopefully everything doesn't turn out horribly ironic"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Damn! You're talking about a tank that's right up my alley! I've got a 55ish gallon, cube-like tank in my garage that I'll build one of these days with the same basic plan in mind! I love the less common Crypts. C. parva would be my ideal carpet. The crypts love having dirt underneath the cap. I've had great success using MGOPM combined with flourite which add a high CEC into the mixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAOK Club #24
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank is finally in place and I received the driftwood I found on [Ebay Link Removed] Great seller! Only paid $40 shipped for that huge piece.
For those following along, the walls behind the tank weren't blue last weekend hence the delay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	766841  

katas, katas, The Dude1 and 5 others like this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got the plumbing finished up, dirted with PFS cap. Also received my lights, heater and filtration for the sump. Should have some plants and water by this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	768441  

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	768449  

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	768457  

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think the driftwood would look alot better dug into the substrate a bit, also some rock rubble around the base would look nice.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have some Dragon Stone I can play around with, I'll see what I can come up with.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
@Dragonfish How did you get the darker hues/aged look after painting the stand? I really like it, it looks great!

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Look up General Finishes Black Glaze. There are a lot of steps to the process but the end result is pretty nice. My wife decided my other hobby would be refinishing old furniture for her

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the first picture yet! I thought I was being ingenious draining the water from the leak test into the basketball hoop base

https://generalfinishes.com/

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That color isn't my thing, but the finish looks awesome. A big piece of wood and crypt parva... what could be better?? Most of the front areas of my 2 new tanks is crypt Parva or crypt Lucens. I hope it does well for the next few weeks while I get money together for C02. I wasn't aware that Parva did well without at least glut?? Have you done it in low tech before?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No! I assumed it had the same requirements as other crypts, which is basically light and water. Luckily I do have a lot of excel on hand.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tank has been wet for almost a month now! The driftwood floated like a cork so I had to attach it to a big slate tile. I got some of the plants from my local Petland and the rest came from Buceplant. Can't say enough good things about my experience with them! I also added 10 Long Finned Zebra Danios about 3 days ago. I'm also fighting tannins and have already exhausted one bag of purigen. I'm going to try to regenerate it this weekend.

Plant list:
2 Amazon Swords
4 Hygrophilia Difformis
2 Cryptocoryne Usteriana
Cryptocoryne Nurii tissue culture

Buce:
Kedagang Long
Belindae
Raven
Fino Sherry
Red Cloud
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	773937  

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	773945  

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

Just love the color of the stand !! and the wood is just amazing. Brings out that rustic look! Good job. Can wait for updates
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Planted Member

Killer job on the stand! Looking forward to seeing the grow out in a couple of months! Great job.

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode