Freshwater1's 30 Gallon Low-light Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Freshwater1's 30 Gallon Low-light Tank

I said that I would post a tank thread a while back, so here we go. This tank is a cumulation of my planted tank experiences. I've been running this tank for 5 years, and after going through many high light phases, where the tank was stem plant city, as well as some trials with low light, I think I've found the sweet spot with what I like: many Microsorum and Bucephalandra, some Anubias, and a moderate amount of Cryptocoryne. Echinodorus has been hard to deal with in this tank, mainly due to its sizable frame. Here's the tank specifications:

Lighting: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 dimmed

Filtration: Eheim 2215 (currently using an Eheim 2213; I'll be upgrading here soon)

Additional Water Flow: Hydor Centrifugal Pump (160 GPH flow)

Tank Size: 36" x 12" x 16" (approximate)

CO2: Green Leaf Aquarium GRO CO2 system, Rex Griggs CO2 reactor

Fertilization: PPS-Pro, root tabs

Maintenance: Weekly 30% water change, weekly trimming (varies at times), weekly glass cleanings, and monthly filter cleanings.

Fish Stock: 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 Cherry Barbs, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Panda Garra (will be adding additional Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry Barbs; Corydoras and some Killifish will be added as well)

Plant Stock (subject to additions): Microsorum pteropus var. "Thor's Hammer"
Microsorum pteropus "Needle Leaf"
Microsorum sp. Thunder Leaf
Microsorum sp. Ishikawa Island
Microsorum pteropus "Trident"
Anubias nana "pinto"
Anubias nana "petite"
Bucephalandra sp. Apple Leaf
Bucephalandra sp. Green Wave
Bucephalandra sp. Emerald
Bucephalandra sp. Brownie Hermes
Bucephalandra sp. Hades
Bucephalandra sp. Royal Blue
Dwarf Sag
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko"
Crypt nurii "Rosen Maiden"
Crypt wendtii "Bronze"
Crypt pontederiifolia
Unknown species of Crypt wendtii

Pictures:

Once this tank grows in, especially with the ferns, I think it'll look great. It'll take a couple months for the Buces to color up. I'm thinking about adding more Crypts to the left side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick question:

Do you guys think Crypt balansae would be an appropriate plant to place behind the Crypt pontederiifolia? I know it can get tall, and there is only 16" of height to give. I'm trying to hunt for a thin-leaved Crypt that'll fit behind the pontederiifolia and hide the heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Dude1 likes this.

Last edited by freshwater1; 05-06-2018 at 02:17 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Over the past few months, the tank has slowly been growing in, and it has much more to go. I replaced the blue background with a black one, and I like it much better. I have less Java Fern varieties, and I am mainly focusing on growing out the Needle Leaf Java Fern. Here is the updated plant stock list:

Microsorum pteropus "Threadleaf"
Microsorum pteropus "Needle Leaf"
Microsorum sp. Ishikawa Island
Microsorum sp. Thunder Leaf
Anubias nana "petite"
Anubias nana
Bucephalandra sp. Apple Leaf
Bucephalandra sp. Green Wave
Bucephalandra sp. Emerald
Bucephalandra sp. Brownie Hermes
Bucephalandra sp. Hades
Bucephalandra sp. Royal Blue
Bucephalandra sp. Solid Blue
Dwarf Sag
Crypt parva
Crypt lucens
Crypt petchii
Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko"
Crypt nurii "Rosen Maiden"
Crypt wendtii "Bronze"
Crypt pontederiifolia
Crypt wendtii "Red"
Crypt wendtii "Green"
Crypt balansae (very small right now)
Crypt Sri Lanka

My Apistogramma died over recent months, and Iíve decided to just get another shoaling fish instead of a centerpiece fish. Iím deciding between White Cloud Mountain Minnows and Dwarf Corydoras at the moment. I also plan on adding Amano Shrimp in the future.

Last edited by freshwater1; 05-06-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Updated plant stock list
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time to update. The NL Java has gained some height and is becoming a true centerpiece. My next objective is to switch out the Crypt parva for some Pygmy Chain Swords. I am a patient person, but even Crypt parva grows too slow for me.

The Dude1, Mike! and Mike! like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
This is the first time seeing this thread and I saw a post from last summer about you contemplating adding Crypt balansae. Did you decide not to? I think it would look great in the back right corner of your tank. I love the footprint of a standard 30g and your's looks great!

Roy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYWS3 View Post
This is the first time seeing this thread and I saw a post from last summer about you contemplating adding Crypt balansae. Did you decide not to? I think it would look great in the back right corner of your tank. I love the footprint of a standard 30g and your's looks great!

Roy

Thanks! I actually have a few on the right side, but they are small. I bought them potted and emersed and itís taken them some time to recover and get new growth. Iíll get some more soon.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater1 View Post
What is this spotted leaf plant? I really like the look of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
What is this spotted leaf plant? I really like the look of it.

That is Crypt nurii ďRosen MaidenĒ. It is a nice Crypt. It grows slower than other Crypts, but it has stayed low to the substrate even in low lighting.
Mike! and Mike! like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:23 AM
Planted Member

Thanks! I'll have to pick one of those up as soon as I can get my current crypts reliably outpacing the BBA.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am working to rescape this tank as a jungle aquascape. I have removed many of the Crypts to make room for a Red Hadi Sword. I am replacing the slow-growing Crypt parva with True Dwarf Sag. I got a large clump of Windelov Java Fern for a texture difference, with Narrow Leaf Java Fern acting as a background plant. A couple different species of Vallisneria are in the background. I am still working to decide final plants for this tank. Although I have a bunch of driftwood in this tank, I have been inspired by a jungle aquascape created by George Farmer (link: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....ungle-aquarium). I have always had more fun with my scapes when they are overgrown and lush. Stay tuned!
The Dude1 likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking forward to the rescape!
freshwater1 likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I dont know how I missed this. Fantastic looking tank. My opinion.... skip the swords. They grow way to large way to quickly with C02 and ferts. I love the way the tank is growing in. A crinum calastratum kind of offset would look killer and stay with the general theme. Either way... really great looking tank and cool selection of fauna. You've got to get some recent pics up
I have some crypt balanse in a couple tanks... it just takes forever to start doing something. Crinum in considered a slow grower, but mine has probably quadrupled in size since ivan added it less than 8 weeks ago. Its blasted past the balansae planted right next to it. I'm adding another crinum to my 75 as it is just so gorgeous.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Really like this, and curious to see what you come up with for the rescpae!
freshwater1 likes this.

|

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I dont know how I missed this. Fantastic looking tank. My opinion.... skip the swords. They grow way to large way to quickly with C02 and ferts. I love the way the tank is growing in. A crinum calastratum kind of offset would look killer and stay with the general theme. Either way... really great looking tank and cool selection of fauna. You've got to get some recent pics up
I have some crypt balanse in a couple tanks... it just takes forever to start doing something. Crinum in considered a slow grower, but mine has probably quadrupled in size since ivan added it less than 8 weeks ago. Its blasted past the balansae planted right next to it. I'm adding another crinum to my 75 as it is just so gorgeous.

Crinum calamistratum is definitely going to be added. Iíve been wanting to add one for years, but the scape was too manicured that it wouldíve looked odd. I donít have Crypt balansae anymore. I removed it and opted for Vallisneria. It grew slower than my Crypt parva! Iím hoping to have pictures up in a week or so. More plants are coming in next week. I have Red Tiger Lotus, the True Dwarf Sag, and Crypt wendtii ďGreen GeckoĒ on the way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode