• 2 Post By johnson18
  • 2 Post By johnson18
  • 2 Post By johnson18

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Johnson18's Emersed Tanks 2.0

I have kept emersed grow tanks since 2013 which have contained a variety of plants, including a large number of Cryptocoryne species. I've started this new tank journal as I started a new emersed tank and will be breaking down at least one of my original tanks.

My original tanks, a 55 & a 20L, took a dive in 2014 after a cross country move when I lost the majority of my Crypts. Since then I have maintained a small number of species in the original two tanks but not worked to actively expand my collection. There is a ton of background and build info in my original emersed thread. Please feel free to check that thread out! It can be found here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12.../291217?page=1

My new set up which will be documented here is going to consist of at least one 40 breeder, to start, along with at least one of my original tanks, probably the 20L. The main goal will be to grow, flower & propagate many species of the genus Cryptocoryne, as well as a number of other aquatic & semi-aquatic Aroids & a few select stem plants.

I will list specs of each tank below & continue to fill in as tanks are added or changed.

Tank: 40 breeder

Light: 36" BuildMyLED XB custom spectrum, which is a combo of 6500K LEDs plus a number of 660nm red LEDs per board. This light spectrum was originally developed & built to go over my riparium but was also then suggested by Cara to others for orchids. After further discussion with her we decided it would also work well for emersed Crypt growth, so I had this second fixture built.

Planters: each plant/species is separated into a 4" terra cotta pot. The substrate's surface will be covered with finely chopped Peacock moss to help avoid issues with algae, fungi & the like.

Substrates: a mixture of ADA Amazonia, Seachem Flourite, along with a few other things. The goal is to make a substrate which will be slightly on the lower side of the pH scale & have a high CEC.

Water: I started the tank with RO water that had IAL and Alder cones soaking in it for almost a week. Going forward I will probably use a combo of RO water and water change tank water from my other tanks as available/needed.

Tank: 20L - my original emersed tank

Light 30" dual lamp T5HO- has 6000/6500K bulbs which I don't remember the manufacturer. Sadly, the selection of 30" T5HO bulbs kinda sucks. I'll have to look again, it's been a few years since I really shopped bulbs for this fixture.

This tank is currently a mess. It has a variety of stems, a couple basic Crypts & a semi-aquatic orchid which I don't know the name of but received from Aaron T. as a gift. It will be redone sometime in the next few months.

Pics and plant species lists will follow in the next couple posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Current plant list! I will finish filling this in over the next few days but this is a start.(5/26)

I may eventually split this up by what is in each tank, but for now I think by plant type/genus.

Cryptocoryne species:

Cryptocoryne alba 'red'
Cryptocoryne axelrodi
Cryptocoryne blasii
Cryptocoryne ferruginea 'Sg. Serikin'
Cryptocoryne fusca 'Wongso' B1320
Cryptocoryne Jacobsenii 'pink'
Cryptocoryne nurii 'luminous green'
Cryptocoryne nurii 'pink line'
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Cryptocoryne sp. 'lingga 19 platinum line'
Cryptocoryne zukalii

Plants in route:
Crypt nurii 'rosen maiden'

I've got a number of Crypt. species & a few other plants in different tanks that I will slowly be moving over to emersed culture as they grow out in their respective tanks.

RAOK Club #24

Last edited by johnson18; 05-26-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: more plants
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is the 40 breeder as it is currently.
It is sitting on my floor at the moment, but will go onto my new tank shelving (2 units 4' x 2' with 2 layers, the top being 39" tall) when it gets painted next week.

RAOK Club #24

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice. I will be following this to get good tips on a good emersed setup. That's a good idea covering the top with peacock moss. Will give that a shot.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Very nice. I will be following this to get good tips on a good emersed setup. That's a good idea covering the top with peacock moss. Will give that a shot.

Thanks! Any moss will work, I've just got a crazy amount of Peacock at the moment. The moss works well to absorb any excess nutrients and reduce the growth of unwanted things on your substrate surfaces. I usually just chop the moss to tiny bits,

RAOK Club #24
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yesterday I finally took the time to add moss to all of the pots. I started with a nice, healthy golf ball size clump of peacock moss which I've had growing out in my 55. As I previously stated, I chose peacock moss as I've got a ton of it growing out in the 55. Any moss will work.

If anyone is familiar with the containers that the TC buce come in at Petco, I placed the moss in one of those. I spent at least 5 minutes just chopping the moss into tiny pieces. They were pretty much all less than 1/8" at the largest. Most were much smaller.

Rather than using my tweezers to distribute the moss I decided it would be easier to use a plastic transfer pipette. I keep pipettes around to use for a number of various tasks in my tanks. I cut the tip off at an angle fairly far up the pipette in order to create a large hole to allow for the moss to easily exit the pipette.

Once the moss was all finely diced, I added some water to the container. As I spread the moss out to the separate pots, I had to continue to add a little water. Honestly, I probably could've used half the amount of moss I started with.

Here are a couple of the plants I added moss to a few weeks back.

Now for some Crypt. pics!

Cryptocoryne nurii 'Luminous Green'

Cryptocoryne Jacobsenii 'pink'

RAOK Club #24
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm subscribed.
Would like to know where you were able to source so many varieties of crypt's as I do like them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wasn't sure which of my tank journals to post this in but I figured this one would work just as well as my killifish journal.

Finally got my new tank shelving in place.

Old

New

I need to break down the 20L and 55g emersed tanks & consolidate the contents into one tank, probably a 20Lor maybe even a 20H as I can turn that so the long side is running front to back.

These two shelves are the same size: 48"L x 24"W x 38"H, with the bottom shelf having less room bc of the legs.

I'm looking forward to setting up a number of new tanks on these including two more killi tanks, a blackwater 40b & my Mr Aqua 60p!

This also gave me a chance to look at the growth of each of the Crypt pots. I was pleased overall. I will have to get some new pictures soon!

clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

RAOK Club #24
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Got lots of Cryptocorynes growing now. I've struggled with a mold and mildew. There is still plenty present in places within the tank.

I'll have to double check later as I think I've added some different species that are not on the main list.

Here are some pics. Most things are labeled, the C. nurii 'Rosen maiden' & the sundew are both not labeled. I'll have to double check the name on the sundew. I got it from a local hobbyist as a trade, he had the seeds imported from Germany.

I've got pics of each individual plant. Let me know if you have questions or want to see something specific.

RAOK Club #24
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So the sundew is a Drosera capensis 'gifberg' it is a red one. It has been in here only one week. The guy I got it from had it under pretty low light levels. Since it is now under the BML xb at 100%, it has already begun to change color.

I also have a ton of seeds for the Albino variant too!

RAOK Club #24
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Opened up the top to remove some algae growth from the water & a please to see the first spathe to show up in this tank! Cryptocoryne nurii 'pink line' is the first of the plants in this tank to throw up a spathe. It isn't fully open yet so I will be keeping a close eye on it over the next couple days!

When it opens I'll actually pull the pot out of the tank for some better pics!

d33pVI and d33pVI like this.

RAOK Club #24
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great job...you are dedicated to make this work...I know the feeling.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cryptocoryne zukalii too bad I didnít catch it yesterday.

RAOK Club #24

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode