My first try at planted tanks (56k warning, pics>>1Mb) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
My first try at planted tanks (56k warning, pics>>1Mb)

Hi,
Just wanted to get your suggestions on improving this tank, this is my first attempt at an "aquascaped" planted tank.
This is when I first set it up, 30th sept 2004:

And here is the latest picture, 7th nov 2004:

The P Gayii has wilted away for some reason, so its getting the boot. I am thinking of leaving the lower stems in the substrate, is there a hope that it will rebound?
The tank is an 18g tall, with only about 10" of depth, so I dont have the freedom I would have liked to create a terraced effect, but its tall so I am trying to use the height to create an illusion of depth, not sure if I have achieved it. My plan is to have the stargrass in the middle-back fill out and then prune it low, and have the space behind the stargrass fill out with some tall plants. Any suggestions on improving the tank is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by baj; 12-07-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baj
The P Gayii has wilted away for some reason, so its getting the boot. I am thinking of leaving the lower stems in the substrate, is there a hope that it will rebound?
Can't speak for that species in particular, but I frequently hack many stem plants down to an inch or so (from the substrate) and they always grow back (provided they don't get shaded). I've done this with hygro, ludwigia, and even red temple. This is especially important for the red temple because it does not maintain its leaves as well as the other two species.

Nice lookin hairgrass, btw. I'm diggin the blended microsword. Judging by the two photos, you did everything right. Started off with fast growing stems and yanked em later on. Nice work.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

Thanks, I spent a lot of time talking to experts and researching forums, so thanks to all of you really.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great looking tank. I especially like the blended foreground. Somebody recently asked if you could blend foreground plants on another forum and I guess the answer is yes!

I know there are all kinds of things on terracing via the search, but how did you go about doing yours?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

The blended foreground was not really intentional, but I like the way it turned out. I initially wanted two distinct forgrounds but the hairgrass grew really fast and invaded into the microsword area. For terracing, I just stuck a piece of glass in one corner and filled the space with substrate, I put extra root tabs in there (a few at the bottom, and a couple at mid-depth), the terrance height is about 5-6" from the bottom of the tank, the rest of the suubstrate is 3" thick. The D Diandra's roots are have gone all the way down into the 6" thick layer, I cant pull them out withoput lifting the whole base up, anyway, the point is I think I wont have aproblem with anerobic bacteria fouling up the water, mainly vbecause, the dimensions are small and the substrate is a mix of eco-complete and fluorite and it doesnt appear to be compacted.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 12:03 AM

I love the right side of the tank, the elevations in the foreground and how that piece of wood pretty much defines it.
Quote:
Any suggestions on improving the tank is greatly appreciated
Lets play Imagine...
Imagine if the hairgrass were to continue left and uphill all the way to the back of the tank with "more elevation" into the rear left corner and leave only the macranda coming out of it ... move H. poly stems to the front right corner (kept trimmed into bush under wood) and the Rotala behind the wood where the Anacharis is...

now Im outta breath... LOL

Great looking tank baj , nice and healthy ... thanks for sharing !
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 12:06 AM

Quote:
D Diandra's roots are have gone all the way down into the 6" thick layer
I dont see any Diandra ? Am I that blind ?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

I thought........... these were the........ DD.....no?

I used to refer to it as mystery plant even though it was sold to me as DD..... okay, screwed again......
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:33 AM

Its hard to tell exactly by that photo but it sure looks like Rotala I. stems to me... a close-up shot would help solve the "mystery" .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

Hi Buck
took some closeups today, the leaves of the plant are arranged in pairs (growing out opposite to each other) and subsequent pair is at 90 degrees to the previous pair. Also, the topmost parts of the plant are red.

Here is one pic:

and here is a top view:

I will be grateful for your opinion on this, I traded some to the LFS today and they too told me it was a rotala of some sort.

Here is an updated pic of my tank(pruned most of the rotala), with Buck's suggestion of placing the hygros in the right corner and also gave the E. acicularis a haircut:

Last edited by baj; 11-15-2004 at 05:35 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Looks like Rotala indica/rotundifolia.

Eric

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
yep, rotala indica/rotundifolia. I have two versions of this plant, one looks exactly like yours, another a little redder.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

Thanks for clearing this up guys....( insert emoticon for embarrassment )... I didnt think that it would be substituted out without me being notified when I bought it online...feeling really stupid now...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
baj
Planted Member

Update:

I put the driftwood on its side instead of vertical, pushed the stargrass to the back, took out the bacopa stems, added a java fern from another tank and took out a c wendtii that melted away. And of course, big thanks to travis for the D Diandra!

I think this is a ramshorn baby snail? I dont think these guys are bad for plants are they?

This is the 10g,again thanks to travis for the riccia (on the mesh in the center, squinting required):

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode