20L CRS medium tech(We have babies) - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Fourth berried? Or well at least very soon. It seems all the males are in a frantic trying to find her. Sorry about the poor quality video but I have never seen this before. Literally all of the males were trying to find I am sure a freshly molted female. Wonder who will be the lucky one lol. www.youtube.com/watch?v=udsU4kZgmOo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
A Fourth berried? Or well at least very soon. It seems all the males are in a frantic trying to find her. Sorry about the poor quality video but I have never seen this before. Literally all of the males were trying to find I am sure a freshly molted female. Wonder who will be the lucky one lol. www.youtube.com/watch?v=udsU4kZgmOo
So excited for you! For some reason I hadn't even put two and two together that three of my berried right now are from the same mom as the ones you have... Two of those three have smaller clutches, but one of them is absolutely loaded, lol. Hope yours are better first time moms than mine are looking to be

The big momma is pregnant again, but it's near impossible to tell because she is so opaque all the time. I guess that's a good thing though?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
So excited for you! For some reason I hadn't even put two and two together that three of my berried right now are from the same mom as the ones you have... Two of those three have smaller clutches, but one of them is absolutely loaded, lol. Hope yours are better first time moms than mine are looking to be

The big momma is pregnant again, but it's near impossible to tell because she is so opaque all the time. I guess that's a good thing though?

My first berried one is the biggest one. She is loaded with eggs. The other two are not as full of eggs but still pretty good. Have yet to see the 4th but assume so as The males have slowed down so maybe one got to her? Still all new to me so not sure. That's cool that they came from the same mom. She sure has helped to expand the species that's for sure . Make sure and tell her myself and her offspring all said hi and thank you lol. She has now started and kept going many colonies. Pretty cool. Will try and see if I can spot the newest one later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
My first berried one is the biggest one. She is loaded with eggs. The other two are not as full of eggs but still pretty good. Have yet to see the 4th but assume so as The males have slowed down so maybe one got to her? Still all new to me so not sure. That's cool that they came from the same mom. She sure has helped to expand the species that's for sure . Make sure and tell her myself and her offspring all said hi and thank you lol. She has now started and kept going many colonies. Pretty cool. Will try and see if I can spot the newest one later on.

Yeah, the bigger ones were a different group. I think there were at least 3 generations I sent. There were three that all had given birth right around the same time, so hopefully you got a decent mix of genes. The goal is to not inbreed too much, and that's why every year or two you'll want to add more from another stock.

When that time comes, I'd recommend setting up a new tank, breed them, then move the babies into your existing, then tear down / reuse the new tank. Helps prevent diseases and also gets healthier stock into your colony. Takes longer, but totally worth it.

Last edited by natemcnutty; 07-27-2017 at 11:42 PM.
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 AM
Planted Member

Very nice dude. Hopefully my tank will fill out as nicely as yours has in the next couple months. Grats on all the berried shrimp, too. Exciting stuff!
post #111 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I think all the shrimp will be well fed. Have a great variety of food for them now. Thank you @Aqua99 you truly rock man. I only had the Ken's veggie sticks and Shrimp King Baby and got the rest from Aqua. Also got plants from Aqua so some great new additions to the CRS tank.

post #112 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not a problem man... hope it helps your shrimp grow healthy and strong! :-)
post #113 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Once again the males are in a craze searching for a freshly molted female. Cannot believe I will have 5 berried CRS out of a total of 20 crs in this 20 gallon tank. That is if a male can find her which I am sure one will. The first berried CRS should be having her babies soon. Will be cool to see some tiny babies in this tank.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNV3eSdU4iU

post #114 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Love it!

post #115 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well was only able to see one as only looked for a couple minutes before I had to leave. Saw one of the babies. Never knew they were this tiny. You can see barely by the tip of the stem of the alder cone. Gives you an idea how tiny they are. Sorry about the bad pic but best I could get. Will try to get more tonight when I get home.

post #116 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

In one of your photos it looks like there are Hydra. Could these pose an issue for the baby shrimp?
post #117 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkinturtle View Post
In one of your photos it looks like there are Hydra. Could these pose an issue for the baby shrimp?

Those do indeed look like hydra and they ARE a problem for baby shrimp! Easily killed by Fenbendazole though, which is shrimp/plant safe
post #118 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Appreciate the concern and agree which is why I took care of it a few weeks ago when I first noticed to prevent any issues that could be caused by them. Fenbendazole sure does the trick.

post #119 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

Keep using that bacterAE! I also have been using grains of pollen to help with survival rate. Might want to take a look into that as well. But be cautious where you buy yours from as pesticides in hives ect ect. I personally bought mine from https://marksshrimptanks.com/. Maybe I do not need to be cautious but I know too much on bee keeping in the US to not. I just had to dose with Fenbendazole and worked out great. Only draw back was the dead snail removal. Looks like your tank is doing great! Always enjoy watching this thread.

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

post #120 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by katas View Post
Keep using that bacterAE! I also have been using grains of pollen to help with survival rate. Might want to take a look into that as well. But be cautious where you buy yours from as pesticides in hives ect ect. I personally bought mine from https://marksshrimptanks.com/. Maybe I do not need to be cautious but I know too much on bee keeping in the US to not. I just had to dose with Fenbendazole and worked out great. Only draw back was the dead snail removal. Looks like your tank is doing great! Always enjoy watching this thread.
Yup I alternate between Bacter AE and Shrimp King Bio Tase Active(you may want to look at that one also). Since been doing that keep getting berried one after the other. In fact this morning saw another fresh molt and all the males were in another craze and in fact still are. I actually got a sample of some pollen a while back when I bought some shrimp food(never heard of it for food before). Looked it up then and saw how good it is. I've actually gotten the snail population greatly reduced. Certain food the snails craze to. I always feed in a dish for easy removal of the food and TONS of snails. The snails go right in my 60 gallon to keep the Clown Loaches happy lol. How is your shrimp tank doing?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode