20L CRS medium tech(We have babies) - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua99 View Post
Shrimp are looking great man, nice job with the tank!

As to the Nilocg Thrive-S, I've had good luck with it in my shrimp tanks. I recently pulled some of my more demanding plants from my shrimp tanks, but my CRS are in a tank with a very healthy Monte Carlo/HC mix carpet and prob 15 other small plants. That tank is running on just a half dose of Thrive-S every third day and minimal CO2. I'm too lazy to calculate out the ppm, but it'll barely move my drop checker off dark blue. It's enough to make the plants respond though. I've also been running a DIY Oxydator in there too.

My Bee Shrimp tank also gets Thrive-S, and the plants are responding well. I do the same half dose, but it's enough to make the plants flourish. The tank is basically just easy mosses, Bucephalandra, Fissidens, and some Hygros, but they look great. I mean, if you were to compare moss with little/no ferts just "surviving", with moss flourishing in full EI, the Thrive-S tank appears much closer to the EI tank. This tank might even get lower CO2 than the other one I mention above, but the plants respond like night vs day, and the shrimp are doing very well.

Sorry to hijack... just relating my thoughts on the ferts you mentioned.

Not a hijack especially because I asked you to give your input here lol. And besides you have been using this stuff pretty much since day 1 so your input is very much appreciated. You after all are the one that got me to get this stuff. I wanted others to see the input from you who has been using it since it first came out.

Do I think using the regular EI ferts is bad at all for a shrimp tank? Absolutely not. Do I think using the regular EI ferts with the very little copper hurts the shrimp? No I do not feel that. But what I do like with using this is it's much easier for me anyway to keep the tds down and is lighter on the nitrates and phosphates while still keeping the plants healthy and for me without noticing any difference health wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So just looking in the CRS tank as normal and low and behold clear as day a berried CRS. She is actually the best looking one I have so even better. So its been 6 weeks since I first got them so not bad for having my first berried after 6 weeks. Looks like she has a ton of eggs. Wonder how long till she gives birth. Either way its very exciting to say the least and am relieved that the conditions must be good.

post #93 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

20L CRS medium tech(Berried CRS)

Video of her. Sorry about the noise

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2osy5MEep4

Last edited by clownplanted; 07-10-2017 at 03:43 AM. Reason: spelling

post #94 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice work! Sorry it's been a crazy past few days. When I only had a berried once every 5-6 weeks or so, I would toss in a couple catappa leaves, lower the temp just a bit (added fan), and dosed a little leaner on nitrates. Around week 3, I fed spirulina powder a couple of times to prep.

At this point, I'm perpetually doing that routine (minus the reduced ferts which hasn't made a difference for me), and it seems to be working fine. Definitely not trying to breed for selling or anything though, so I don't know if doing things more in line with breeders would give better results.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #95 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Nice work! Sorry it's been a crazy past few days. When I only had a berried once every 5-6 weeks or so, I would toss in a couple catappa leaves, lower the temp just a bit (added fan), and dosed a little leaner on nitrates. Around week 3, I fed spirulina powder a couple of times to prep.

At this point, I'm perpetually doing that routine (minus the reduced ferts which hasn't made a difference for me), and it seems to be working fine. Definitely not trying to breed for selling or anything though, so I don't know if doing things more in line with breeders would give better results.

Think its hard to beat your results thats for sure as your results speak for themselves Yesterday I just refreshed the catappa leaves as they really chowed down the ones that were in there. Those seem to be a good snack for them. Also have the spirulina powder ready to go. The moss you and @Aqua99 gave me has grown really well and will feed the powder on that. Glad I got it when I did that way I was ready. Also seem to have a nice bio-film going now compared to before so that should help. Let me know when you want to give some more CRS a nice home as I definitely have room for more since you seem to be getting crowded Right now the temp right at 74.5 F. The CRS have really grown well since getting them from you. Nitrates actually have been pretty low and the plants do not seem to mind so I am sticking with it. Usually at between 3-5ppm and plants showing no issues. Thanks for the great info

Thanks for stopping by Nate.

Last edited by clownplanted; 07-10-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling
post #96 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I actually moved just under a hundred last month and have another 50 or so planned for this month so far, so I'm not sure if I'll have enough to do an RAOK or anything. Saving up for setting up a proper tank to try BKK's, and if all goes well, maybe I can send some down your way

post #97 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yeah, I actually moved just under a hundred last month and have another 50 or so planned for this month so far, so I'm not sure if I'll have enough to do an RAOK or anything. Saving up for setting up a proper tank to try BKK's, and if all goes well, maybe I can send some down your way

Cannot wait to see your build for the BKK's. That should be lots of fun. I hear ya on the saving up part. Such a slow process here on that note. Wonder if the petco dollar per gallon sale is coming up soon. How I got this 20 Funny though as the actual tank seems to be the cheapest part. If you need any plants let me know I can hook you up.
natemcnutty and natemcnutty like this.

post #98 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

20L CRS medium tech(Berried CRS)

So I am just going to call this shrimp tank the "CRS Party Town". Looking today I now have a second berried CRS. Apparently they are getting busy in this city of theirs. Sorry about the poor quality pic just cannot get a good one of her now. Will take some better ones later when I can

So now that's two berried out of the 20 CRS I have. Sweet

harley, harley, Dman911 and 3 others like this.

post #99 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

Still nothing for me yet! Im going to bet they will breed after my next water Change when TDS hits 189. Which should be by next Thursday.

Temp: 24*C
TDS: 185
GH: 6
KH: 3
NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3:10
PH: 7.1 (CO2 N/A)
PH: 6.6 (CO2 ON)

No Indian Almond leaves, OR leaves of any sort.
No Bacter AE- Should use though
post #100 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

I love those shrimp... so jealous! Grats on the berried females.

Dan

Last edited by Dman911; 07-13-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
post #101 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I love those shrimp... so jealous! Grats on the berries females.

Dan

Thanks. It seems that once the first one gets berried the others follow. Now just hoping that most or all survive. Never done this before so just hoping for the best. Not near as hard as what you have to do for Amanos that's for sure so this would be cake for you.

post #102 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Thanks. It seems that once the first one gets berried the others follow. Now just hoping that most or all survive. Never done this before so just hoping for the best. Not near as hard as what you have to do for Amanos that's for sure so this would be cake for you.

I got lucky and one thing I know is each species has its own challenges. Some may seem easier on paper but its not always the case.

Dan
post #103 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Pretty exciting. Taking care of the babies is pretty easy. It's really just making sure they can't get hurt by filtration or flow and provide them with plenty of biofilm. Bacter AE is a good product for that, especially for newer tanks.

Aside from first time moms just not producing as many healthy babies, I think I've had better survival rates the longer my tank has been up and running.

Also, if I knew how to safely get them to Canada, I'd do it for you Dan

post #104 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Pretty exciting. Taking care of the babies is pretty easy. It's really just making sure they can't get hurt by filtration or flow and provide them with plenty of biofilm. Bacter AE is a good product for that, especially for newer tanks.

Aside from first time moms just not producing as many healthy babies, I think I've had better survival rates the longer my tank has been up and running.

Also, if I knew how to safely get them to Canada, I'd do it for you Dan

I looked into it and its not an easy process. I sure would love some of those beauties though.

Dan
post #105 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So looking today it would appear I have a third berried female. Crazy. Cannot get a pic of her as of now will try to later on. Now just hoping for a high survival rate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode