Amazon biotopes - 75 gallon clearwater + 33 gallon long blackwater - The Planted Tank Forum
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Amazon biotopes - 75 gallon clearwater + 33 gallon long blackwater

I moved on 4/21 and finally the never ending process of moving and setting up tanks is DONE; the 75 gallon has been set up for almost a month, the 33 gallon long, just under 3 weeks. I rehomed my Colombian tetras and kept the marbled hatchets, sterbais and checkerboard cichlids. Unfortunately, two sterbais died and FOUR of my seven hatchets jumped out of the temporary tank. I'm mad at myself for that one, sorry little dudes.

75 gallon clearwater (that's a lie at the moment finally clear!)
Temp - 78.5 F
Filtration - Eheim 2217 + Fluval 304
Lighting - Finnex stingray 48" + Finnex stingray 36"
Substrate - pool filter sand
Plants - Brazilian pennywort (temporarily anubias and java fern until I decide if I want to do a planted tank or not)
pH - 6.0, maybe lower
TDS - 35ppm 45-50ppm
GH/KH - 1/1

Fish (updated stocking list 8/16/17)
7x Biotodoma cupido
6x Corydoras sterbai
0x Carnegiella strigata (moved to my 33 gallon long)
16x Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis
2x Farlowella vittata

This 75 gallon is supposed be more brightly lit with crystal CLEAR water, but as you can see, it's not. The wood I used was not previously soaked or used before, so they're leaching tannins like crazy. I was changing water every other day for a while and I think that kept upsetting the bacterial balance; the tank is still a little cloudy. I put a packet of Purigen in each filter and they were saturated brown in 4 days. I wanted a good expanse of sand for the cupid cichlids, they're benthophagic and will be pecking constantly for food. I might add some leaf litter under the branches, but I'm not sure...I'm trying to keep the sand nice and clean in this tank.

The hatchets don't show up in the gloom and the sterbais are too nuts to photograph. More pictures will be forthcoming, everything will be easier to photograph when the tannins finally dissipate.

The 33 gallon long was set up to be tannin stained and murky and dirty. The water is nicely stained, but somehow the 75 gallon has a lower pH and TDS, not sure how or why. I have 40-50 magnolia leaves in the tank, I plan to add 20-30 more. There is some hair algae growing in the pennywort, which isn't a bad thing, but I don't want it to get out of hand. And the wood and leaves have weird fuzzy fungus growing on them already, the tank looks really "lived in" already, I'm surprised. I'm going for a grungy natural look for this tank, no siphoning out any detritus, no Purigen, keep it funky.

Temp -83 F lowered to 81.5F
Filtration - Eheim 2215
Lighting - Sunblaster 48" T5 (toned down since these pictures with pet proof screening covering 60% of the light)
Substrate - thin layer of play sand, 1/2" -1" deep
Plants - Brazilian pennywort, duckweed (hitchhiker, but I may leave it in)
TDS - 45-50ppm
GH/KH - 2/2
pH - 6.4

Fish
7x Dicrossus filamentosus (4F/3M) [lost a female]
18x cardinal tetras all dead, had some very severe and heat resistant ich
4x German blue rams - maybe in two months when the tank matures yeah, maybe not
7x neon tetras (10-12 planned)
2x marbled hatchetfish (8-10 planned)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(gone)

(gone)

(current)

Last edited by doinkmobb; 08-16-2017 at 05:57 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazon biotopes - 75 gallon clearwater + 33 gallon long blackwater

Woah glad you're back, both tanks and the photos are awesome! Hopefully the 70 clears soon, had a chuckle to myself about it looking pretty blackwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roarke and Roarke like this.

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I'm trying to do smaller water changes, 10-15 gallons at a time, so I don't upset the bacterial balance again. I should probably wait a while until the water is no longer cloudy and then do a larger water change. Actual true clear water is probably a while away unfortunately.

(gone)

(gone)

(gone)

(current)

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

It still looks cool as a blackwater setup TBH, although I understand for these inhabitants that's not what your going for.

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 05:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Both are looking good, although the 75 isn't what you want it to be. Glad to see you got them set up after the move.

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lemon tetras and cardinal tetras are forthcoming, I'll try to take some pictures tonight.
Opare and Opare like this.

(gone)

(gone)

(gone)

(current)
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinkmobb View Post
Lemon tetras and cardinal tetras are forthcoming, I'll try to take some pictures tonight.
Sweet, I'm excited!

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got 18 cardinal tetras and 16 very large lemon tetras. I'm happy with the number of cardinals, but I feel like I got a few too many lemons, 12 would've been a better number. Usually, when you get a good number of fish, a couple die off, but these guys look really healthy. They're all eating and behaving normally, I even saw some lemons sparring.

I did a water change on the 75 gallon to clear it up a little, it was hard to photograph the fish in the darkness.

The water is still SO dark. I can barely make out the other end of the tank when I look through longways now...it's an improvement.

It's hard to get a shot where most of the cardinals are in focus.

Opare, Opare, The Dude1 and 7 others like this.

(gone)

(gone)

(gone)

(current)
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 07:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have got to try the Dicrossus when I setup a blackwater tank, so damn pretty!

Tomas_Megis and Tomas_Megis like this.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Dicrossus maculatus are supposed to be even prettier. I might try them next time around.
Opare and Opare like this.

(gone)

(gone)

(gone)

(current)
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Your tanks are so beautiful! The Dicrossus are amazing.

i love corydoras
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeslide View Post
Your tanks are so beautiful! The Dicrossus are amazing.
Thanks. I need to get a shot of the males when they're displaying, then you can really see all their colors.

(gone)

(gone)

(gone)

(current)
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Gorgeous! Do you have some new pics yet?
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Gorgeous! Do you have some new pics yet?
So I sold my good camera and I'm left with my my 10 year old Rebel XT. I have been meaning to take updated shots, I hope the camera still works. Let me drag it out tonight and charge the battery.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

(gone)

(gone)

(gone)

(current)
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here's a few kinda horrible pictures. I need to get a new camera soon; the rest of the shots are mostly unusable.

I moved the two marbled hatchets into the 33 gallon long. I like the way they look amongst the branches, they really blend in.

The cupid cichlids are starting to color up nicely.

(gone)

(gone)

(gone)

(current)

Tags
amazon biotope, biotodoma cupido, blackwater, clearwater, dicrossus filamentosus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode