• 4 Post By Rhenerie
  • 2 Post By richie_brave
  • 2 Post By limeslide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank with limited availability of supplies

Hello to all experienced members of this forum. A little background about my experience and situation. I am fairly new to aquatic tanks. I have a non-planted 90 gallon (48x24x18 inches) tank since 2 years. I have been silent reader of plantedtank.net since last 2 years. Knowledge on this forum is the main attraction for me towards planted tank.

Planted tanks are very uncommon in my country, Pakistan. The only aquatic plants I can buy are Amazon swords and Anubias nana. Very occasionally we get some carpet plants from Thailand. Chemical of N, P, K are not available or sold separately due to risk of being used in explosives. My only option is to either use dirted tank OR use growmore water soluble fertilization (http://www.growmore.com/products/typ...ertilizer.html). I am using 20 20 20 solution as thats the only product available here

These beautiful lush green planted tanks were becoming an obsession for me. So just to experiment what I can manage in this limited availability of things, I finally ordered some items from AliExpress. I am not too optimistic that things will turn out good but I need help like Tips and suggestions to make this into something.

The method of planting and setup is not one of best practices used in this hobby. But I had to try different in trying to achieve something with what I have available.

I received following items about 2 months ago.

1 - Aquatic plant seeds (some sort of grass seeds and probably glosso seeds).
2 - Chichiros 45cm light
3 - DIY CO2 setup

Lighting on below setup is a 13 watt Philips 6500K LED bulb. Chichiros was used on 10 Gallon setup coming below.

Day 0:
I setup a small 2-3 gallon bowl to test these seeds about 1 month ago. Here are its results. I am still not sure if these plants are aquatic or not. Some unknown sand at the base, then a layer of organic potting soil (some brand imported from UK) then some more sand.

Dry Start Stage (Day 4):
Misting water two times a day. Progress after 4 days.

Submerged at 7-8 days:
DIY CO2 was added on and off after submerged. Daily water changes around 30% with little bit of growmore fertilization every 2-3 days.

After 3 weeks of submerged growth:
Plant leaves have changed its shape. Probably changing from emersed to submerged growth.

Thanks for viewing

Bump: Started another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Started another 10 Gallon setup 3 weeks ago. Dry start. I am not sure what to call it. Its not 100% Iguwami. I wanted to have a look of sea shore. Didn't really accomplished it.

Lighting:
Chichiros 45cm LED

Substrate:
Gravel at the bottom - then a dirt layer of and topped with locally available black sand.

Rocks:
River rocks from up north in my country.

Day 3

Day 5 or so

Day 7

Filled on Day 7 and started dosing growmore + DIY Co2. Daily water changes of 30%

Somewhere around 1 week after filled:

14 Days after submerged:

Added white sand to make it look like sea shore.

Thanks for viewing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Beautiful. Excellent work with limited access that we all take for granted. I am looking forward to seeing how they mature.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 AM
Algae Grower

nice!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A small update:

Small bowl is doing good. It grows out very fast. Even the Lilly is giving a lot of leaves. It just has a small 10w bulb, no CO2, partial water changes about 4-5 days. No filter. No livestock yet.

10 Gallon is doing average. All the grass at the back has melted. The other carpet plant probably glosso is doing fine but its still not giving out leaves like its growing in the bowl. 10 Gallon has a different cap sand and some other brand of potting soil. If things don't turn out good in it, I will probably redo it in a month.

Thanks for following.

Last edited by hassan.nabeel; 06-04-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Correction to spellings
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Your tanks are so beautiful!! Are you planning on adding fish in the future?

i love corydoras
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeslide View Post
Your tanks are so beautiful!! Are you planning on adding fish in the future?
Thank - I am trying to arrange for API freshwater testing kit. I want to confirm if Growmore 20:20:20 contains any ammonia. Maybe someone in USA can test this for me

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode