12 Gallon Long - Converted to Dutch! - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
12 Gallon Long - Converted to Dutch!

Hey TPT!

So its been a long time coming and I finally got my hands on a 12 gallon long. Ive 'upgraded' from a 20 long to the 12 gallon, parted out with plants, fish to make room. Im going to try and make this tank looks as nice as what I see on here with some other users, so wish me luck. Ill list what I have below and try to keep everything updated. I do have plans for the tank and Ive done some research.

Tank:

Aquamaxx Low Iron 12 gallon long with Mr Aqua leveling mat

Lighting:

36"-48" Current Satellite LED Plus

Substrate:

10L Extra Fine Marfied Controsoil
First Layer - Laterite

Flitration:

Eheim 2215 - Stock media and Purigen

Equipment:

Hydor Nano 240, Hydor Inline 200W heater, GLA Inline Diffuser, CO2Art kit w/ 15lb CO2 cylinder.

Fertilizer:

NilocG's Thrive

Flora:

Dry Start Method - AR Mini, DHG, Monte Carlo, S Repens, UG.

August 2017 - Slowly going dutch

Fauna

3 Oto's as of Aug 15th

Now onto the good stuff so far that happened over the weekend. Its kind of hard living in an apartment so I had to come up with an idea, though it wasnt the greatest if anything happened. I decided to use my bathroom, along with some towels (like theyre going to stop all the water in case the tank broke). Nothing to special, but I was nervous since this is my very first rimless tank.

I let this set for about 18 hours.. constantly checked for leaks. Headed off to bed, and just waited for a big crash or noise over night. Checked in the morning and found no leaks, water was still at the line I drew. Drained it, dry it out, and placed it on my dresser where my 20 long was.

Washed some Laterite, let it set in the sun to dry, and placed it on the bottom, about 2 inches from the side so you couldnt see it from the front. After that, added about 3/4th of the 10L bag of Controsoil. Scaped some stuff out, re-arranged, scaped, re-arranged.. and over the weekend I was finished and was happy how it turned out.

Here was the very first picture and scape I came up with:

After messing around with some rocks and angles, I broke up some stone and placed 2 or 3 more stone to try and offset it a bit.

Here is my final scape, and Im pretty happy with it:

Monday morning (today) I contacted @SubstrateSource to place an order for some Tissue Culture since I will be doing the DSM. Here is what I ordered:
  • 1 cup - AR Mini
  • 4 packs - DHG
  • 1 cup - Monte Carlo
  • 2 TC cups - S Repens
  • 1 TC cup - UG
I still have to order my Cal Aqua Labs X1s, GLA inline diffuser, and Thrive+. Since the tank isnt flooded, Im not worried about those yet.

Now, I just sit back, relax, and wait for my plants to arrive!

Last edited by freshestemo412; 08-25-2017 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

What is the benefit of a tissue culture? I've been out of the hobby for a while and this seems like a completely new thing to me. I never heard of it before and now it's everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My father's day
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A new 120g is coming!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcook View Post
What is the benefit of a tissue culture? I've been out of the hobby for a while and this seems like a completely new thing to me. I never heard of it before and now it's everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You're getting uncontaminated plants going with TC. They're grown in a cup and aren't exposed to algae, bacteria, snails, parasites, etc.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
(.) <-- the I'm following this thread dot.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can probably get a few more fish TBH. I would aim for maybe 12 CPDs and 10 Cories? Maybe go for a smaller Cory species, like the Pygmy Cories. You'll get better behaviour, especially from the CPDs in bigger numbers.
As for the scape if you want to take it to the next level, consider having a larger rock on the right side to be a focal point.
Looks like you are off to a good start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would recommend using dry ferts from nilocg instead of thrive, because you can manipulate each individual nutrient. Thrive is basically a premade dry fert.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
You can probably get a few more fish TBH. I would aim for maybe 12 CPDs and 10 Cories? Maybe go for a smaller Cory species, like the Pygmy Cories. You'll get better behaviour, especially from the CPDs in bigger numbers.
As for the scape if you want to take it to the next level, consider having a larger rock on the right side to be a focal point.
Looks like you are off to a good start!

I thought about it, and still am thinking about it. Ill decide after I get my scape setup, flooded and in balance. Im in no hurry to stock with fish. I want to get parameters in check. The only reason I thought about just 6 CPD's is just to make the tank look bigger than what it is.. by having less fish. I also have 2 False Juili (sp) cats that have been with me ever since I started keeping fish, so add them into the mix.

As for rock, I am all out of it. I only have a couple smaller pieces, which really dont amount to anything and my LFS doesnt have any

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
I would recommend using dry ferts from nilocg instead of thrive, because you can manipulate each individual nutrient. Thrive is basically a premade dry fert.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I do have dry ferts from GLA (Enough to last me a lifetime) just was thinking of trying something new and easier. I know I can make a solution from the GLA ferts, but I am horrible and figuring out what is missing, or if I need to add more or less. I know its like a trial and error.. but trying to find a balance absolutely sucks. Im just thinking that t he Thrive stuff, in my mind, 1 pump 3x a week and Im done just seems a lot easier.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got my tissue culture package today from @SubstrateSource! Great plants, very healthy! Thanks again guys!

Set up the DSM and planted! Light is set from 9:00AM till 9:30PM (12.5 hours)

Heres my plant haul:

AR Mini, DHG, Monte Carlo, UG, & S Repens.

All planted and ready to go! Heres just a couple pictures from planting:

Right side:

Left side:

Middle:

Finally the FTS! All sealed up and freshly misted!

Wish me luck!

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 PM
Algae Grower

Nice job! Keep us updated.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see that tank filled!

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a weekly update. Im noticing some growth on all the plants. Its so hard not to fill the tank!! Patience is running thin!!

Here is the left side:

Right side:

Everything seems to be getting greener as well. Heres to another couple more weeks of testing my patience! Ive just been gathering some supplies and getting money together for some other stuff!

Wish me week 2 luck!
kyle3, kyle3, JJBTEXAS and 5 others like this.

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just to keep this up to date! Sorry I missed a week.. Was real busy with work and personal stuff going on.

Here is my 3 week update!

The plants are definitely filling in and getting bushier and bigger! The DHG, is still slacking, though Ive heard it grows slower emersed than immersed. I dunno.. its not dead so that a good thing!

Still holding on from filling it! Once I fill it, Ill start growing BBA and other algae on all the plants =p. Heres some updates.. Just 2 pictures.

Left side:

Right side:

Great progression so far!!

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

DHG is one of those plants that will be slow to start, but then growth just gets out of control after that.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
DHG is one of those plants that will be slow to start, but then growth just gets out of control after that.

I hope your right when I fill it soon! I want it to be out of control

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well.. after a long time away, Ive had some issues.

While I was on about week 6 or 7 of my DSM, I was hoping to fill my tank July 4th weekend. Well, upon opening my tank up for some air exchange and misting, I was so excited to go to bed that I completely forgot about the saran wrap. I woke up in the morning to an open air tank, plants were all shriveled up, looking like death. I was really bummed and pissed off since I spent all that time waiting.

Well since doing that, I gave it about 3 days and eventually stated seeing what I believe was mold? I wasnt sure, so I filled the tank that night and its been up and running for about a week. I need to get my CAL Aqua Labs X1s intake since the Eheim one is too big. Anyone have any intakes (FS$?)

So here are some pictures that I just took.. literally 15 minutes ago. Surprisingly, everything is looking good, and bouncing back from all the dead leaves and whatever happened. Enjoy!

DayOlder, DayOlder, curry and 1 others like this.

Last edited by freshestemo412; 07-06-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Link

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode