"Recall" the Hex (8/20) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By leaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
"Recall" the Hex (8/20)

Since my last planted tank I've graduated school, and started a business. Unfortunately I had no time for the hobby and everything went into storage. Fast forward to a week ago...

Was driving home and found what I believed to be a 30(?) gallon hexagon tank on the side of the road. It was good condition but spray painted black on three sides. I used to hate tanks that weren't square, and probably will even after this is done. But hey, its free, I've got nothing to lose. Of course nothing is that simple, I dig up all my old aquarium stuff and find that the regulator is broken. I order a replacement and it comes a couple days later, but the low pressure creeps up to 60psi after 3 hours. I've already made a stand, picked up some plants and filled the tank, so I end up ordering a US made reg that came with free next day shipping. GG Amazon, they delivered on a Sunday, on Mothers day. Jeff Bezos is bae <3

I love tracking growth progress. I hope I end up liking the Hex but the fact is, this tank will probably just be a growery for the next tank. Damn addiction already itchin'

30 Gallon Hex "Recall"

Birthday: 5/13
Substrate: Play sand and screened gravel. A couple interesting rocks from my property (I need to get more!) and of course, a nice chunk of manzanita.
Light: 75w fishneedit MH

Our local shops carry very few tropical plants compared to 8 years ago. Its kinda sad, but I had to work with what they had. I will need to find a plant source or do some trades here in the future.

Flora:
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, HM, pogostemon stellatus "octopus", Staurogyne repens (from one of those sad cups) Some random pieces of Java moss and 3 tiny sprigs of hairgrass that hitch hiked on the HM.

Fauna: None until tank stabilizes and several water changes.

Photojournal is updated below. For extended updates see reply threads!

Day 2

Day 18

HM and lilaeopsis taking its time. Pogostemon is not.

S. repens showing good growth. Really easy to grow and is incredibly green.

Day 29

Digging the contrast created by BDBS

HC finally taking off!

My mystery plant loving the co2 bath

I call him "Hoover"

Oto cat Jacuzzi time?

Chillin' on a Sunday

7/16/17

no stems no seeds!

Any yellowing was from plant stretching/choke out

A little peek at one of my other projects that came to completion this month.

8/20/17
Camera is down for a bit so I haven't been able to update. Went ahead and took a pic and video with the phone.

8/20/17
I've finally got some control on the HC and let the other stems go. The "forest" look is something I'm really enjoying right now with the tall tank.

Tank continues to be a pleasant surprise. Very little maintenance required other than staying on top of the HC trimming, and cleaning the prefilter sponge. I haven't dosed any Nitrogen and Micros for over a month now, only P and K. Have definitely noticed a redder color to the plants as a result. Tank gets topped off every other day and water changes are once every 3 weeks. Fish are fed every 1-2 days.

Youtube video of the tank in the raw, filter tubes and everything.

I may have to turn this into a fern/shrimp tank as the height would be really great for a stack of java ferns and moss, with cherry shrimp darting around. At first I didn't think much of the hex but now I've come to embrace it. The 40b is moving slowly along the prep phase... the rocks have been collected (maybe 100 lbs worth) and I've got a nice emersed starter of UG and DHG in the grow tent. Lighting has been acquired and substrates have been reformulated and refined - I just need a friggin stand. Time to hunt down a cheap design or read up some more on wood framing.

Last edited by leaf; 08-21-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: 8/20 update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

5/31/2017

Finally past my initial hiccups with this tank. Co2 is nailed, but somewhere along the way my manzanita log decided to take float. I guess over a month underwater wasn't good enough to be able to remove the wedge holding it in place. I replaced the manzanita with some ludwigia and a temporary rock. I also picked up some other plant a couple days ago (rotala i think) to use as a mid to background plant. The rock on the right is just temporary until I can find more of the rock like whats on the left. Gotta take a trip to the desert sometime soon or sink more manzanita!

Theres now 6 zebra danios and 3 glass catfish in the tank. Nothing fancy but they do love the strong, swirling flow!

Just a few pictures for now on this update.

HM and lilaeopsis taking its time. Pogostemon is not.

S. repens showing good growth. Really easy to grow and is incredibly green.

sfsamm and sfsamm like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leaf; 06-02-2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: i only bought 6 danios
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like what you have done with that tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

6/11/17

Added Black Diamond Blasting Sand and gave the tank its first real "trim." Much of the stem plants had to go in the outdoor pond as I've run out of space to plant them in the hex. The plan is to trim heavily, but infrequently. I might have to do this in 1/3rds however so I don't affect the nature system that much.

So far the tank has been quite trouble free since the first week. I hope it continues to be this way. I see some algae here and there but its nothing to be concerned about. I also picked up 5 otocinclus at my LFS to help with algae management. I've always enjoyed them in tanks and this tank is stable enough now that I thought it was time.

Digging the contrast created by BDBS

HC finally taking off!

My mystery plant loving the co2 bath

I call him "Hoover"

Oto cat Jacuzzi time?

Chillin' on a Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
I like what you have done with that tank!
Thanks man! I've enjoyed my return to the hobby so far. Much zen.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

7/16
The plants and fish are well established now. The tank has survived a couple one week stints without any maintenance due to planned vacations, suffering only some mild cases of algae and overgrowth. The last vacation resulted in almost every plant stretching 5 inches because I raised the light to slow evaporation. Looking back on it, it probably wasnt necessary and next time I will trim before I leave. However the stretching provided plenty of stems and bunches of HC to use in my other experiments. Recently I picked up a 40b during the tank sale this month so things are beginning to fall in place for the next tank. I've wanted a 40b for a while now, and I'm glad the opportunity came for me to finally bring one home. The hex will eventually become a low tech cherry shrimp tank.

no stems no seeds!

Any yellowing was from plant stretching/choke out

A little peek at one of my other projects that came to completion this month.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Camera is down for a bit so I haven't been able to update. Went ahead and took a pic and video with the phone.

8/20/17
I've finally got some control on the HC and let the other stems go. The "forest" look is something I'm really enjoying right now with the tall tank.

Tank continues to be a pleasant surprise. Very little maintenance required other than staying on top of the HC trimming, and cleaning the prefilter sponge. I haven't dosed any Nitrogen and Micros for over a month now, only P and K. Have definitely noticed a redder color to the plants as a result. Tank gets topped off every other day and water changes are once every 3 weeks. Fish are fed every 1-2 days.

Youtube video of the tank in the raw, filter tubes and everything.

I may have to turn this into a fern/shrimp tank as the height would be really great for a stack of java ferns and moss, with cherry shrimp darting around. At first I didn't think much of the hex but now I've come to embrace it. The 40b is moving slowly along the prep phase... the rocks have been collected (maybe 100 lbs worth) and I've got a nice emersed starter of UG and DHG in the grow tent. Lighting has been acquired and substrates have been reformulated and refined - I just need a friggin stand. Time to hunt down a cheap design or read up some more on wood framing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode