Kent's 3 gal Nano Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kent's 3 gal Nano Tank

Oh boy, here we go. I haven't touched a fish tank in years, and I've never had live plants in one before. But, with all the cool stuff going on in the aquascaping world these days, I've decided to give it a shot. I will be aquascaping, cycling, and stocking a small 3 gallon tank in my bathroom.

Materials so far:
Ultum Nature Systems Rimless Tank 3N
Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum
Elive 10w micro heater
Hpumps white square air pump
Tissue culture of S. Repens
Five stems of red Ludwigia (which may or may not actually fit in here, we shall see)
Cheap Chinese LED plant light

I went to one of my several LFSs and picked up a few rocks and a piece of wood to get going on the hardscape. Here's a pic, albeit in poor lighting, let me know what you all think so far.

I will be DIYing a small filter by pumping air through a sponge and a lava rock compartment planted with pothos. It's a fairly common thing and it should be more than enough to handle this tank's bioload. The exact design is featured in one of the King of DIY's videos on YouTube somewhere if you want to see it. I will be trying to keep it as compact as possible.

As for stocking, I will be either housing a small group of dwarf shrimp (probably RCS or yellow Neos), or a single male betta plus some amanos/snails. We'll see how the tank parameters look once it's cycled.

Adapt and overcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Just saying;
A bathroom is a horrible place to put a fish tank, especially on top of the toilet.... if the toilet "breaks" or malfunctions then youll most likely be needing to open the lid of the toilet, meaning you'll have to move the tank off of it, disturbing the inhabitants and the plants, sand, hardscape, etc.
In a bathroom it is also noisy, in between all the grunting and flushing, it would be a very unsettling environment for the shrimp and/or fish. They also are very sensitive to vibrations, so on top of a toilet is a absolute no no for that aspect.

Last edited by BettaBettas; 05-13-2017 at 04:26 AM. Reason: .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
Just saying;
A bathroom is a horrible place to put a fish tank, especially on top of the toilet.... if the toilet "breaks" or malfunctions then youll most likely be needing to open the lid of the toilet, meaning you'll have to move the tank off of it, disturbing the inhabitants and the plants, sand, hardscape, etc.
In a bathroom it is also noisy, in between all the grunting and flushing, it would be a very unsettling environment for the shrimp.
agree with above post.

you are probably need a low tech plant for that set up, easy maintenance.

I would suggest go with anubias/crypt/sword/other low tech plant.

ludwigia required some mid to high light for them to show their true color.

Good Luck Magneto.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
Just saying;
In a bathroom it is also noisy, in between all the grunting and flushing, it would be a very unsettling environment for the shrimp and/or fish. They also are very sensitive to vibrations, so on top of a toilet is a absolute no no for that aspect.
I am putting padding underneath to deal with the worst of any vibrations. But, I should mention that this bathroom in particular hardly gets used, never mind the fact that no one is home for most of the day. It is a very low traffic area. Plus there is an entire subset of the fish tank industry devoted to toilet fish tanks. Is it a good idea for every fish? No. But certain types, such as bettas, (which judging by your username you already know) get picked up and moved and exposed to all sorts of stressors and get used to them just fine. I do agree that it might be too much for shrimp to handle, and I don't think I will be putting them in there after all.

In the unlikely event that the toilet needs servicing, I could easily drain about 50% of the water and move the fish tank by hand without completely destroying the aquascape. It's very small.

Adapt and overcome.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The hardscape is finalized,the filter is built, and the water is in. I was unable to add a sponge to the bottom of the filter that didn't look completely ridiculous with the sponge material I currently have, so that part will have to wait. But, the bio media is in (lava rock), air is running through, and a stem of satin pothos is poking out of the top.

There is a 10 watt heater next to the filter.

A few hours later I added some small clumps of S. repens around the place, we'll see how they do but I'm thinking they will end up more stringy than carpet-y. For now that's fine. Mostly I just want to see if they will stay alive. Did it with a pair of chopsticks, took a fair amount of wiggling to get them in so the water is pretty cloudy here.

Natural light only on these pictures, but there is a plant light on the tank now, it just tints everything pink so I didn't use it for pics.

Adapt and overcome.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode