20g AIO dwarf puffer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g AIO dwarf puffer

I've been wanting to try dwarf puffers for a few years and finally decided to go for it. For the last five years I've been all saltwater but shut down my last aquarium almost a year ago in preparation for moving out of my parents house. I still haven't found a decent house yet and I'm starting to have fish withdrawals... I couldn't take it any more and decided I could set up a fluval edge shrimp tank, that would be easy enough to move. When I went to Petco to get one though, the $1 per gallon sale was on... and I figured a 20 gallon could be drained and carried out... and I could finally get a couple puffers...

Being in saltwater and having sumps on all my tanks spoiled me and now I can't bear cluttering up the tank with equipment which is why I'm installing a false back where the heater, filter media, and circulation pump will go. For the divider I'm trying this 1/4" thick HDPE sheet which will be siliconed in place 4" from the back of the tank. I did a mock up with cardboard to see if my hands would fit back there and make sure I had the overflow height right.

When the sheet arrived I marked out where to cut it and used a jigsaw to cut from each side toward the center, then drilled holes in the middle to separate the two pieces.

Some filing and sanding cleaned up the edges and I glued it into the aquarium with silicone two days ago. It's outside now full of water to see if there's any leaks, better not be. For the circulation pump I'll be trying a maxi-jet 1200 shooting water back to the tank through a Hydor Flo deflector. That's a neat little device that uses water power to rotate the output around for better water motion. I need to run to town and pick up a fitting to connect it with the maxi-jet and ball valve, then I can see where I need to drill the hole in the false wall. Hoping I can get that installed and fill the tank up tonight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Took this tank down. Overflow was too strong and killed shrimp and puffers Set up a new 20 long for the survivors.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode