29 Gallon Hi-Tek Planted Project - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
29 Gallon Hi-Tek Planted Project

Several years ago, I got into fish keeping and MTS hit me hard...I had 2 10 gallon tanks, a 55, and a 37. Since then I've had major life changes and now live in a 900 sq ft cabin in the woods. With space being a concern, I finally put together a nice low tech 9 gallon tank. Here is my journal on that one: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...d-project.html

For years, Ive been wanting a bigger tank, but I just didn't have the room. Ive finally made some changes and made room for a 29 gallon tank!!! I bought the tank at Petco during their dollar per gallon sale and then started gathering all the other parts I would need.

Here's the rundown on what I got:
- Aqueon 29 gallon tank
- Current Satellite LED + Pro
- Eheim Pro 4+ 250
- Hydor ETH In-Line Heater 200w
- 3 bags of Fluorite Black sand
- A bunch of rocks from the creek behind the house
- Some driftwood I found

I've been letting my 9 gallon get overgrown a little bit so that I could harvest most of the plants from that tank. I did buy a few new plants from Petsmart...more on that below. Ok...onto the pics

Alright, here is a pic of the driftwood soaking in my bathtub for a few weeks while I was waiting for all the other stuff to arrive:

Rough layout of the driftwood:

I wanted to terrace behind the driftwood, so, I put a bunch of rocks down as a base substrate layer:
Top View:

Side View:

Ok...now for the Fluorite sand...After rinsing it really well, I started putting Fluorite on top of the rock layer behind the driftwood and poured a little water on it to get it to settled into the cracks:

My filling method to keep the silt to a minimum:

Full of water:

Here it is after I planted it using clippings and overgrowth from my other tank:

Went to Petsmart and got some additional plants: Staurogyne repens, Rosette Sword, Anubias Frazeri, and 2 packs of dwarf hair grass

After planting the Staurogyne repens:

After planting the first pack of dwarf hair grass:

After planting second pack of dwarf hair grass:

You can also see that at some point I repositioned the middle piece of driftwood. I like how it is now.

Well, that bring us up to now.

Oh, almost forgot...Premium CO2 package from CO2 Art will be here next week!!!

Oh, and livestock...currently 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 female GBRs, 4 Otos, and 1 Juli Cat (I'll add a few more Julies when I find some)
Dempsey, Dempsey, nel and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I moved my mature male GBR into the tank with the 2 juvenile female GBRs. The trio seems to be getting along well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
burr740 and burr740 like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a short video of the rams interactions shortly after introduction. I could watch this all day!

https://youtu.be/PVkCHzgG0S0

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was very happy to see some new growth on my trimmed stem plants! Cannot wait to get the CO2 rocking later this week.

Dempsey and Dempsey like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looking really nice. I love the rams. I just got rid of a nice pair myself. Already miss them.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Co2 package form the U.K. Arrived today! Whoop whoop.

https://youtu.be/TqFJb5yiNXc

So far so good. KH of 3. PH dropped from 7.4 to 6.6 whiling running the Co2. I'm going to watch it closely tomorrow.

Tank water is still a little cloudy. Wondering if it's dust from the new filter media in the eheim? Hopefully it'll clear up with water changes.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added a few more cryptos on the right side of the tank. I'm gonna let it grow for a bit before making any other changes.

I wish I could get rid of the cloudy water. I cleaned the filter this morning so maybe that will help. It got worse immediately after cleaning but it's getting better now. At least back to where it was.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Water is slowly beginning to clear up. I'm super happy with this tank so far.

Night before last, my GBRs spawned which was really cool to watch. When I woke up yesterday morning, the male was guarding the eggs and was being mean to everyone in the tank (including the female GBR). At some point during the day, he let his guard down and all the eggs got eaten. As soon as the eggs were gone he became a nice fish again. He's still chasing the female around a little but it's not too bad.

I'm seriously considering adding a single discus to this tank and seeing how it goes.

Here is a photo I snapped right before she laid her eggs:

Dempsey, Dempsey, burr740 and 5 others like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungClayB View Post
Water is slowly beginning to clear up. I'm super happy with this tank so far.

Night before last, my GBRs spawned which was really cool to watch. When I woke up yesterday morning, the male was guarding the eggs and was being mean to everyone in the tank (including the female GBR). At some point during the day, he let his guard down and all the eggs got eaten. As soon as the eggs were gone he became a nice fish again. He's still chasing the female around a little but it's not too bad.

I'm seriously considering adding a single discus to this tank and seeing how it goes.

Here is a photo I snapped right before she laid her eggs:

Don't add a single discus they need to be in groups and 29g is far to small. The tank looks great btw

Dan
YoungClayB and YoungClayB like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
The tank is growing great and those Ram's look awesome. The female has so much color that I was about to tell you that you have 2 males until I saw her vent.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
Nice tank and nice driftwood position. I'm glad you finally get into CO2 reg, it brings your planted tank to a new level. Your GBR look awesome, I need to get back to them fish too.

Tip: If you'd like the hairgrass to spread out faster, trim off the tip. That's what I did to mine.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglefowl View Post
Nice tank and nice driftwood position. I'm glad you finally get into CO2 reg, it brings your planted tank to a new level.
Really great looking tank. I second the co2 comment. It really brings your plants to the next level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

At first when I saw those big bulky stones I was thinking, just another newcomer aquascape... Then is saw the pic later on and I take it back! lol Good job
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a while since my last update. Stem plants and crypts seem to be growing well, but my hair grass and and Staurogyne repens has started melting. Some of the fish I got had ich so my water temp is at 88 F for a few weeks until it clears up. I'm not sure if the plants are melting due to the temp or whether it's because the store bought plants were grown emersed. I think the DHG falls into the emersed category because the roots appear fine and I see new growth. Not sure about the s. repens though.

I pulled out the ludwigia and replanted the new growth because the new growth looked MUCH different than the clipping I stated out with.

Current livestock due to some death and procurement.
- 2 GBRs
- 1 Oto
- 5 Juli Cories
- 5 Harlequin Rasboras
- 7 cardinals

Daytime:

Night time:

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Higher temp water holds less dissolved gasses. You may want to try upping co2 and surface agitation. But pay close attention to fish gasping or gathering at the surface. I went through the same thing a while ago and attributed melting partly to temps but also less co2 but everything bounced back right after.

Dan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode