Deep Blue 7.5 cube upgrade to Mr Aqua 22 Long - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post Deep Blue 7.5 cube upgrade to Mr Aqua 22 Long

Welcome to my journal for my new Mr. Aqua 22 gallon long dutch tank, which replaces my my previous 7.5 gallon Deep Sea cube. I am cycling the original 7.5g cube with a second one I picked up for Crystal Red Shrimp & Bloody Mary Cherry Shrimp breeding tanks. All criticism/debate/advice is welcomed!

Mr. Aqua 22L 2 days after setup May 1st.

Tank
36" x 12" x 12" Mr. Aqua 22g long

Daily Additives
GLA PPS-PRO FERTILIZER PACKAGE
Metricide 14

Filtration
EHEIM external filter professional 4+ 250 | 30-65 gallons, 250 gph. (Overkill I know but this is a stepping tank)
AquaClear 20 Power Filter (From previous 7.5 cube. Only using until the EHEIM has a significant bacterial colony)

Heating
Aqueon Pro Heaters 100W
Swaping to Hydor ETH 300 In-Line External Aquarium Heater at a later date.

Lighting
36" Current USA Satellite Plus Pro
Photo period: 6 am ramp up.. 10pm ramp down...
(this is excessive however zero algae growth at this time. I will lower the period when enough algae forms for the inhabitants to graze on.)

Substrate
aquasolum black humate - 8 kg
ADA Amazonia type 1 - 9L (about 3-4L cycling in a shrimp tank before adding in... considering the ammonia spike and all)

Daily Dosing Amounts
Macros 3 days a week. Mon/Weds/Fri
Amount: 3ml
Mixture Measurements:
K2SO4 – 29.3 grams
KNO3 – 32.6 grams
KH2PO4 – 2.9 grams
MgSO4 – 20.2 grams

Micros 3 days a week. Tues/Thurs/Sat
Amount: .25ml
Mixture Measurements
Plantex CSM+B – 28.6 grams

Liquid Carbon 7 days a week.
Amount: 5ml
Metricide 14

Water Change
50%-60% every Sunday.
Currently using tap with dechlorinator. Swapping to R.O.D.I. water when equilibrium comes in.

Neighborhood Creature Roster
11 Harlequin Rasboras
7 Otocinclus
9 Dwarf Corydoras
3 Amano Shrimp
2 Nerite Snails
100's of MTS and Pond snails

Foods
Blanched|Frozen Zucchini
Frozen Spinach
Occasional Garlic
Omega One Sinking Veggie Rounds
Omega One Color Mini Pellets

Plants
Java Fern
Mermaid Weed
Hygrophila Compacta
Dwarf baby tears
Dwarf Sagittaria
Ludwigia Pantanal
Ludwigia Palustris
Staurogyne Repens
Alternanthera Reineckii
Rotala Wallichii
Rotala Rotundifolia
Rotala Macrandra
Japonica Hydrocotyle
Cardinal Dwarf

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by katas; 07-18-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: formating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New Filter installed and kicking!

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

Last edited by katas; 07-18-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: because
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Be honest. Did it cost as much as a cheap Honda Civic to build? Lol

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Haha I may orrrr may not work part time after my main job at a local fish store. I will say the owner takes great care of me and leave it there. Also I was growing plants out in my 7.5g for most of last year and sold clippings for store credit prior to getting the part time gig. I still have to get a Co2 system, inline heater, and some other goodies.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Some eye candy before trimming..

Last edited by katas; 07-18-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: photobucket sucks
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Trimming before...

and after the massacre...

Last edited by katas; 07-18-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: photobucket sucks
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Digging it, it reminds me of my old tank.
katas and katas like this.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Cool tank

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Added more plants... running out of space at this point. Also stocked with some Harlequins, Chili's, and Cardinals which should color out really nicely.

Last edited by katas; 07-18-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: photobucket sucks
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow that looks amazing
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Trimmed some of the DHG and still trying to get the DBT's to stay in the substrate. Tips/tricks welcomed with that.. Large trimming tomorrow so will update after the butchering.

LRJ and LRJ like this.

Last edited by katas; 07-18-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: photobucket sucks
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful tank!! Only metricide?? Your tank is extremely lush!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Metricide and GLA ferts for now. Waiting on NiloCG to have more co2 systems in stock. Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Beautiful tank!! Only metricide?? Your tank is extremely lush!

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Criticism and advice welcomed.

Ended up reworking the layout a lot on 7/9/2017. Sold the majority of what was removed, which was a lot, back to the LFS. 70 plants in total, 3-5 stems per bundle. May snag another light with the store credit for this tank and cut the photo period in half. Still awaiting a co2 system from NiloCG to be available again. Need to remove the HOB filter and upgrade the heater to a inline hydor and snag a temp controller. Also may look into a mp10 for more flow on the right side of the tank with the HOB being mia soon.

Also may look into isolating the Amanos & Nerites and introduce a Dwarf Puffer to massacre my snail invasion. Not sure how they will get along with the rest of the tank mates which is a main concern. Snagged an Assassin snail however he seems to do nothing short of zilch as shown below.

Really can't wait to inject co2 for growth and coloration of the plants.

Last edited by katas; 07-18-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: photobucket sucks
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:49 PM
LRJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
That's some really nice growth you're getting without CO2 injection! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode