• 4 Post By ice9
  • 2 Post By ice9
  • 2 Post By ice9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20H "NoName" Journal

Just throwing this out there - not as impressive as many I've seen, but this is my first try at more than just an anubias or 3. This is just after planting - no fish yet - about a month ago.

20H
Substrate: Activ-Flora Black
Light: Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Filter: Eheim 2213
Excel everyday, experimenting with ferts (mostly trace/iron/K - plenty of N&P from waste)
Planning for pressurized CO2 *sometime soon*.

Flora: DHG, s. repens, bacopa monneri (or caroliniana, I forget), amazon sword, crypts - just planted some pogostemon erectus (can't see it yet in the pic)
Fauna: 2 panda cory, 3 harlequin rasbora (will get to 5 eventually), 4 cherry barbs, 3 neon tetras (will get to 5 eventually)

Last edited by ice9; 05-03-2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Edit: this is actually *just* after planting, about a month ago. Need to post new pic :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
Looking good! Maybe you can hide the heater behind the wood if its completely horizontal and as low as possible?
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAquarist View Post
Looking good! Maybe you can hide the heater behind the wood if its completely horizontal and as low as possible?
I was thinking about that... the pogostemon should grow up and cover it tho (as well as the airline). I may also move it all the way to the left.

Not sure yet if I like the piece of wood on the right.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
nicer than mine when I first started! but a planted+ 24/7 without co2? or just without 'pressurized' co2? watch out for algae if no co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
nicer than mine when I first started! but a planted+ 24/7 without co2? or just without 'pressurized' co2? watch out for algae if no co2.
Flourish Excel is doing both carbon and anti-algae duty right now - a little bit of hair algae, but nothing major. The bacopa has easily added an inch or two since I planted it, and I am even seeing new shoots coming up around the DHG plugs. But the CO2 regulator is being ordered this month Just trying to figure out which diffuser I want.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

5/4/2017 Update

1 month of growth - sides are really filling in - tops on bacopa are starting to branch, crypts and s.repens have grown, DHG throwing runners.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Crypts and bacopa have really grown, DHG is slow going - definitely sending runners, but the new injected CO2 system should help. Got a few pieces of duckweed from a fish transfer... now it's growing all over the place - scooping out a handful every week to keep the light bright.

Dealing with some hair algae (not unexpected) and some diatoms I think... a brown film on walls and plants that the ramshorn snails seem to like.

New equipment! Finally built my CO2 reg - full dual stage VWR 55850, post-body kit from DIYCO2Regulator (Clippard solenoid, Fabco valve), fluval bubble counter, into a self-built Griggs reactor (back right).

DHG runners (I think I need to trim that a bit to encourage carpeting), and a nerite munching away.
Dman911, Dman911, lisals and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, plants seem to like the CO2 change... everyone is pearling today
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So evidently plants like injected CO2... who knew?

2 weeks after installing CO2 system, and everyone is reacting well - lots of runners off the DHG, new leaves on all the bacopa stems. S. repens a little slower - it seems like they might need a little shade - the ones under the bacopa and crypts seems to be fuller and greener for some reason.

Put 4 amanos in (finally found them locally) - they are fun to watch A little change-up in stocking (made the mistake of buying original fish from a not-so-good LFS - most died off, just weak fish, as the rest have been fine, although I don't rule out the tank being not quite settled yet after cycling) - mostly just the cories and long-fin zebra danios.

NO3 is starting to drop rather than rise during the week, as is P, so started dosing 2x/week - enough to keep them @ 20 & 2 respectively. Still dosing trace, iron and K in proportionate amounts the next day.

Bump: Yes, I know there's algae on the back & side glass - made the mistake of putting the tank a little too close to wall, so I can't get the magfloat back there... need to get a scrubber with a handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170620.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	765873  

Last edited by ice9; 06-20-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: grammar
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

6/21:

Argh... attack of the thread algae. Plants are taking off due to CO2 and being closer to light. Not sure if I am short on ferts, or over dosing... co2 and light should not the problem now (still trying to dial it in so I get a pale green in the first 2 hours on the drop checker)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thread/hair algae is still plaguing me. CO2 definitely making things grow better, but something is missing - hair/thread algae is a daily chore to pull it out.... it's not very "stringy" though - it pulls apart real easy, instead of tough threads I can wind on a toothbrush - I had that in my other tank, it it grew much slower, and I could easily pull clumps out.... not sure what this is tho.
lisals and lisals like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:53 PM

Time for a Fauna update.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse001 View Post
Time for a Fauna update.
Heh - well -my first batch didn't work out so well - looks like it may have been gill or body flukes - random fish would stop eating, and just waste away. Treated with PraziPro as a precaution, and everyone seems very happy now.

Current inhabitants:
7 longfin Zebra Danios
6 Serpae Tetras
2 Panda Corys
8 Amanos

Nitrates drop by about 2ppm a day and phosphates by 0.5, so starting to dial in the plant uptake needs. dosing to keep it around 10:1 ratio every third day (also dosing CSM+B and Flourish iron in very small amounts)

I'm hoping the hair/thread algae is/was a lack of nutrients, and the plants are just not out-competing it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally looking better - finally fixed the algae problem I was having - a weekend blackout + big water change killed about 90% of it - new plant growth seems to be keeping it in check. Had to trim the bacopa on the left, but it'll grow back in.

The crypts got huge for a 20H - wasn't expecting them to get that big - have to figure out how to prune them down without having them melt on me
lisals and lisals like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode