Nigel's Iwagumi - 34 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nigel's Iwagumi - 34 gallon

Hello welcome to my Iwagumi minimalist journal! Started with the hobby around march 2017 and I really like it so far. This is my second tank, my first tank was a 6.6g but it was way to small IMO.

Have a look at my Youtube channel
>> www.youtube.com/nigelaquascaping
<<

Specs
Tank
80x40x40 cm / 31,49x15,75x15,75" opticwhite 8mm
34 gallon / 128 litre
Lighting
Aquatlantis easy led 742
Stones
Dragon stone
Substrate
ADA Aqua Soil
Shrimp
20 Red cherry
17 Amano
Fish
20 green neon tetra
Plants
Monte carlo
Dwarf hairgrass mini
Co2
Pressurized CO2 with a diffusor
Co2 checker edge (30 ppm)
Heater
Hydor eth 200 --> temperature 25 celcius
Filter
Eheim 2426 with stainless steel lily pipes
Background
Frosted glass spray

Final video

Day 1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqx_pP_r4HQ

Made a pretty good deal and bought a 80x40x40 cm / 31,49x15,75x15,75" opticwhite 8mm tank with cabinet. Only front and side panels are opticwhite.

I really love seiryu stones but the seller gave me a lot of dragon stone. And they don't effect water parameters

Hardscape

Day 1

Day 14

Day 26

Last edited by Nigel95; 12-14-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Played some with the stones what do you guys think?

Hardscape one

Hardscape two

Hardscape three with video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsNiSYMwgho

Hardscape four

Hardscape five
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFj3m-9iWqA

Hardscape six Moved it to the left to get only 1 focal point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPhZ6gZsPo8

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 05-06-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

Monte Carlo I think is perfect for this one, just make sure it doesn't take over the dhg Belem. Can you take some picks of how you plan to arrange the hardscape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

recognize the OODA loop within everything you do

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf2Frankie View Post
Monte Carlo I think is perfect for this one, just make sure it doesn't take over the dhg Belem. Can you take some picks of how you plan to arrange the hardscape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah probably will take over long term we will see.

I still need to buy a lot of equipment and I would like to buy the soil already and try scapes. People told me it is a bad idea to expose the soil to air w/o being wet. Gonna try to make/buy a 80x40x40 cardboard box and try some hardscapes with sand.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Found a cheaper light (second hand) CRI 80 but full spectrum (3200 lumens). Can't dim the lighting but I can play with the height. I think the lighting stand wouldn't hold the heavy black box, so that's why I went for this. The lighting build slowly up/down in 1 hour. So I guess the fish will be happy

Decided to buy the Eheim 2426 because it comes with filter media and is easier for maintenance. And is almost the same price as the eheim 2217
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bestand 09-05-17 15 53 28.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	755330  

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 05-09-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: edit
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Banked up the soil a little on the left.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bestand 09-05-17 21 08 16.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	755370  

Name:	Bestand 09-05-17 21 08 04.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	755378  

Last edited by Nigel95; 05-09-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: edit
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

double post please delete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bestand 04-05-17 18 56 03.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	753730  

Name:	Bestand 04-05-17 18 56 14.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	753738  

Last edited by Nigel95; 05-05-2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: edit
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hardscape six
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnePevd4CXU
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bestand 06-05-17 10 53 23.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	754322  

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 05-06-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hardscape seven My favourite so far what do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_53Q1RH7ezc

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great looking tank and stand! It looks so crisp and clean.

I like the seventh hardscape the best. I think it might be nice to add just a little bit of stone around the base of your largest piece. It has the slight look of defying gravity right now. Adding just enough to slope away from the base of it below its "waist" (hope that makes sense!)

A little like this:

(FYI, you might want to turn off your location on photos you post here, public forum and all )

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3 View Post
Great looking tank and stand! It looks so crisp and clean.

I like the seventh hardscape the best. I think it might be nice to add just a little bit of stone around the base of your largest piece. It has the slight look of defying gravity right now. Adding just enough to slope away from the base of it below its "waist" (hope that makes sense!)

A little like this:

(FYI, you might want to turn off your location on photos you post here, public forum and all )
Thanks for your reply! I might cut a larger piece down into some small ones to add that. Only have some larger pieces left that doesn't fit atm. Good to hear you like hardscape 7 the most; I like that one too. How do you see my location from the photo's?

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hardscape eight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-wpjMJ4mn8
kyle3 and kyle3 like this.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So yeah this is the final scape that I want to use. Gonna set up the tank next week (probably) can't really wait till summer :p
Any critique still welcome

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Changed the stones on the right. Keep changing things lol :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmk2yEAKQA
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 05-12-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: edit
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thinking about to buy 5 cups of dhg mini and 3 cups monte carlo. Also using my nano 6.6g plants. Enough to get a 'good' start?

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Tags
aquascape, aquascaping, iwagumi, ohko dragon stone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode