New tank! - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank!

Haven't really posted on here but decided to make a journal for this tank.

Tank:

I got my custom made tank today and it measures 48" x 18" x 12" which calculates to about 45g. Tank is rimless and made of half inch thick glass.

Filtration:

Sunsun 304b - I believe this will be sufficient for this size tank. Since it has 4 trays I filled the first one with mechanical and the other 3 with eheim substrat pro.

Substrate:

ADA Amazonia. I'll probably add some lava rock underneath to make slopes. But that might change depending on how I feel about the scape.

Lighting:

This is undecided yet. However I do have 2 beamswork leds from ebay that I bought. With the depth of my tank I feel like they'll be able to give me medium light. Currently looking at LED floodlights but I'm seeing mixed reviews.

Co2:

20lb tank azoo regulator with solenoid.

Ferts:

I have both packets for EI and PPS pro. I did mixed the EI and that's what I'm currently using so I'll stick to that.

Plants:

This I definitely need help on. But I'm sure that I do want a nice carpet plant. Lilaeopsis mauritiana? DHG? Monte Carlo? Suggestions appreciated.
I'll definitely get S. Repens, blyxa and pearlweed for now. I do want some red in there but haven't looked into red plants.

Hard Scape:

I have some ohko stones coming in the mail. For driftwood I'm thinking of redmoor wood (?). Not too sure about it but I saw some on ebay and they're local so I don't have to pay shipping and just pickup.

Inhabitants:

D. Filamentosus or lyretail checkerboard cichlid - I currently have 5 and I'll probably add another 3 or 4. If not I'm leaning towards a pair of apistogramma (hongsloi or panduro). Haven't really looked at the requirements for them to see if they're compatible. If they aren't I can always change it.

Emerald eye rasboras - love the sparkling eyes. I think they're very pretty and school very tightly. Probably keep about 10-15 of these if they're compatible

Boraras species - I love all of them but right now the cheapest I see online is the b. Maculatus. Thinking of keeping 20 but might add or reduce depending on how everything settles.

Sparkling gouramis - they will compliment the emerald eyes for sure. I love Betta's and these are the closest to them I can keep in a community. I know some people have been successful with keeping bettas but I want the centerpiece to be the dicrossus. Thinking of adding 8-10?

Corydoras Pygmaeus - love these little bottom dwellers. Definitely prefer them over habrosus since they exhibit really good schooling behavior which is always nice to see.

These are the ones that I'm currently thinking of adding. If anyone out there can have some input regarding compatibility of these I would appreciate it. Of course I would love to be able to keep them if I find a happy medium regarding water parameters.

More pictures to come.

Already seeing signs of life within the first hour or taking it home. Can someone ID this please?

Here is an example of the wood.

Edit:

You can see the stand in the background. Planning on just painting it black and adding plywood plus a mat on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aqua99 and Aqua99 like this.

Last edited by japbart; 04-30-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great tank size. Looking forward to the build.

japbart and japbart like this.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

I think that's some sort of catfish?

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I've been reading up on cheaper lighting alternatives and stumbled upon this. I see people use cfl light bulbs and just buy a cheap clamp like this

This will definitely help reduce the cost for this tank. However I couldn't find any 6500k bulbs in the Home Depot near me. I live in Koreatown in LA. Anyone near me or in socal who knows where I can get some cfl bulbs? Of course online is an option. But I'm kinda impatient lol. If not available to me locally then I'll have to buy it online.

The bulbs in Home Depot mostly are 100w. I think I can get by with 3 or 4? Maybe 30w? I did see a post stating that they used 5000k and it worked fine. Can anyone give me some input on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 11:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks good. I have had that filter for 2 years and it has always been running great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Because he's thirsty, dummy!
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by japbart View Post
So I've been reading up on cheaper lighting alternatives and stumbled upon this. I see people use cfl light bulbs and just buy a cheap clamp like this

This will definitely help reduce the cost for this tank. However I couldn't find any 6500k bulbs in the Home Depot near me. I live in Koreatown in LA. Anyone near me or in socal who knows where I can get some cfl bulbs? Of course online is an option. But I'm kinda impatient lol. If not available to me locally then I'll have to buy it online.

The bulbs in Home Depot mostly are 100w. I think I can get by with 3 or 4? Maybe 30w? I did see a post stating that they used 5000k and it worked fine. Can anyone give me some input on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Read this
PAR Data-Spiral Power Saver Bulbs, lighting question

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t
You'll need much less than you think. They work great if you can make it look nice.

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Read this
PAR Data-Spiral Power Saver Bulbs, lighting question

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t
You'll need much less than you think. They work great if you can make it look nice.

Thanks. Great read. Now I just need to get some bulbs.

Willcooper and Willcooper like this.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New tank!

Look what came in the mail today!

Got 20 lbs but I'm thinking of getting another 20lb box. The extras I'm gonna put in the other tanks if ever.

Also got new livestock

Not sure if this is gonna work with my current stock. But it's worth a try

Edit:

Also gonna go to Home Depot to get some plywood for the stand and to get some cfl bulbs to test out.

Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like a catfish in the first picture.

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New tank!

So I think I'll try the cfl bulbs for my tank. I found some daylight 6500k for 4 pcs and they're less than $10.

I'm not sure if one bulb per fixture is gonna be enough light for a high light setup. So I'm thinking of adding this:

That will enable me to have two bulbs running per fixture. Thinking of buying 4 or will that be too much for my tank? The good thing about these is that I can always raise them if I'm getting too much light. Or take one fixture out and put it in the hospital tank. What do you guys think?

Light specs:

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
So I think I'll try the cfl bulbs for my tank. I found some daylight 6500k for 4 pcs and they're less than $10.

Those are the bulbs you want. I had 3 23w hooked up to a 3 light floor lamp with shades that did not reflect nearly as much as the work lights you're looking at. Those were on my 40b and I have multiple 10 and 5 gallon tanks with the 13w version of the same light plugged into this

I would go with 4 23w daylight deluxe on two work clamp lights. Should be sufficient
JmanHach and JmanHach like this.

Last edited by Carpathian; 05-02-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: more stuff
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
Those are the bulbs you want. I had 3 23w hooked up to a 3 light floor lamp with shades that did not reflect nearly as much as the work lights you're looking at. Those were on my 40b and I have multiple 10 and 5 gallon tanks with the 13w version of the same light plugged into this

I would go with 4 23w daylight deluxe on two work clamp lights. Should be sufficient

Just two fixtures? I was hoping you would say 4 fixtures with 2 bulbs each. Lol.

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Just two fixtures? I was hoping you would say 4 fixtures with 2 bulbs each. Lol.

I skimmed the first post, let me re-evaluate

I'd say that would get you low light, 3-4 fixtures would bring you to medium too the high side of medium. Maybe more. Those bulbs produce on my shallow tanks but I didn't have them hooked up with co2 on my 40b. They did however carpet my dwarf sag and rotala indica grew like a champ. Most other plants were anubias and wisteria which aren't particularly demanding. You can always buy 4 fixtures and raise them if the intensity is too much. My 5 gallon has a single 13w at about 15" from light too substrate and grows ar mini and carpets dwarf hair grass so the bulbs you chose will work with some red plants.

Short, Sharp, Shock... Dig It

Last edited by Carpathian; 05-02-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: more stuff
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
I skimmed the first post, let me re-evaluate

Thanks. Cause my tank is 18" wide that's why I though of doing two bulbs per fixture and have one fixture per 12" of length.

post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Great start with a rimless tank and love that size aquarium, and the wood you picked out is beautiful!

The only thing I would do different is go with good lighting.
What I would go with is 2- (48'' Finnex FugeRay Planted +) LED lights. Not only will they look about 100 times better than clip on lights over your tank (that are not made to hang over water) but, your plants will THRIVE! not just stay alive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode