The Water Temple - 40g breeder - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Water Temple - 40g breeder

Day 0

This is our first planted tank! It's a 40 gallon breeder with four bags of eco-complete. We put in a piece of driftwood and a couple decorations. Here's a FTS:

I was slightly worried since the ph measured at 8, but it dropped to 7.4 after a water change. Hopefully this will drop a bit more, but I'll keep an eye on it.

We received our plant shipment last night and put them in the tank. Here are some pictures:

We're planning to dose 10mL of nicolg micro/macro on alternating days. I'll probably add 5mL of distilled vinegar and 5mL of flourish excel to the micros. Hopefully this will drop the ph a bit since it's a bit higher than I'd like.

We'll also add 5mL of flourish excel everyday. We have no plans for CO2 yet, but could add some if it looks like the plants are struggling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-14 10.13.22.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	746353  

Name:	2017-04-14 23.36.22.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	746361  

Name:	2017-04-15 00.54.39.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	746369  

Name:	2017-04-14 21.29.10.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	746377  

Name:	2017-04-15 00.55.57.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	746385  

Last edited by jprider63; 04-19-2017 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Wrong image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 1

We picked up our fish on Saturday! We're starting with 12 neon tetras. Here they are getting acclimated:

After a couple hours, we let them out. You can see them hiding out in the back of the tank:

Eventually they started moving about more and explored the tank. Since we're doing a fish-in cycle, we'll be doing frequent (probably daily) ~20% water changes. They seem to be doing well so far. pH is holding steady at 7.4 and the temperature is 78F.

Once the cycle is complete, we're planning on eventually adding the following fish:
  • Rummynose tetra
  • Dwarf gourami
  • Blue ram
  • Oto
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut
Nice wood and ornaments, would like to see this all fill in densely to supplement both

ps sidenote
is 56K even a thing anymore? If it is your paying too much, i thought this was the future...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! A few of the plants are melting, but hopefully they're just adjusting to the new tank and will grow back stronger. I'll post an update soon.

Haha I don't know anyone who still has dialup, but I saw it mentioned in the stickied thread.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like a great start. The 40-B is a good size to play with, and I like your decorations and plants. One word of caution (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe Vallisneria doesn't react well to Excel, so you might want to keep an eye on it. What kind of lighting do you have on the tank?

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
The Water Temple - 40g breeder

Good luck! I love the 40 breeder size. Who is your plant order from?

What is your lighting?

I recommend spending the couple of bucks for a background (black is my preference) on your tank, the fish will settle in a lot more and all your colors will look better.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I dig it! The décor is great and when those plants fill in, it's going to be super!
The one thing I'd change, is I'd put the anubias on the wood. Almost right where it is, but up a little and attached to the wood, that way, it will eventually climb all over it. Just a thought, do with what you like.

I Want A Golden Goose!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, I really like the tank so far. It's big enough for everything we want, but it's not too much to maintain (at least not yet). It looks like the Vallisneria are seeing new growth and offshoots, so it might be doing alright. Currently I'm more worried about the Limnophila and Alternathera.

Our lights are the Fluval LED Pro running at about medium brightness. We ordered the plants online from aquariumplants. Our black background actually just came in, so you should see it in the next round of pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
The one thing I'd change, is I'd put the anubias on the wood. Almost right where it is, but up a little and attached to the wood, that way, it will eventually climb all over it. Just a thought, do with what you like.
We considered tying the Anubias to the wood, but we weren't sure if we'd like it. Maybe we'll try changing it up later on.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Get any snails in with those plants?

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
Get any snails in with those plants?
I didn't think we did, but I just noticed some today unfortunately. I'm probably going to try getting rid of any I see.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

I prefer a more natural look, but with the eco complete and all of the plants, it looks great!
jprider63 and jprider63 like this.

recognize the OODA loop within everything you do
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 21

We're having decent results with the tank so far. The pH seems stable at 7.4, and the temperature is at 78F. We finally are seeing some nitrite, so our cycle is progressing. The nitrite was at 0.25 and ammonia was about 0.1 before a water change last night.

We added a black background to the tank, which I think looks better. Here's a recent FTS:

We put a Koralia Nano 240 in the back corner to add a bit more flow and eliminate a dead spot. We also took the plunge and ordered a CO2 system. We purchased a 5lb tank, a ceramic diffuser, and a DICI dual gauge regulator with solenoid and bubble counter. The regulator is expected to arrive in 1.5 weeks to 4 weeks, so hopefully it arrives soon!

All of the fish are still alive and healthy as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, not all of the plants are doing so great. The limnophila look pretty dead, but I'm hoping something will sprout once we add the CO2.

Only one stem of the bonsai is still fully green. Should I remove the mostly brown stems?

Most of the alternanthera reineckii is melting.

The ludwigia look pretty good overall and the tips have turned red again, but some of leaves are darkening at the ends.

Any advice for helping the plants? Should I reduce excel or add gh booster?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 49

We have a few updates with the tank. The most exciting news is we recently picked up 13 otos! We've had them for a week and a half (since May 21). They all seem pretty active and love munching on the blanched zucchinis we occasionally feed them. They've cleaned up most of the algae, so I've been throwing in a couple small algae wafers daily.

The plants haven't been doing so great. The corkscrew seems to have taken a turn for the worse over a few days. I stopped dosing excel about a week ago in case that was the cause.

Most of the bottom ludwigia leaves have fallen off and the top ones are somewhat twisted.

The good news is we've finally set up the CO2 system. The original regulator was leaking at the solenoid, but the seller sent us a replacement which appears to be working. We're starting off slow with about 1 bubble per second so that we don't stress the fish. Hopefully the remaining plants recover and grow in brightly!

I was slightly worried that the stand did not provide even enough support, so I placed a 1/2 inch piece of foam insulation under the tank. It's a little less appealing to look at, but now I don't worry if the tank will collapse.

I'll leave you with a current FTS.

irishspy, irishspy, mbkemp and 1 others like this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New Plants! - July 20, 2017

We just received some new plants from @Bartohog! We're trying Ammannia sp. 'Bonsai' and Limnophila Aromatica again. We're also going to try growing a carpet so we got some Utricularia Graminifolia as well.

Here's a shot of the tank before adding the new plants.

Here's the Limnophila laid out. It looks much better than our original order.

Finally, here's a FTS with the new plants added!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode