45p iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
45p iwagumi

Hey everyone, this is going to be a journal of my ADA 45p. The original plan was a 60f, but nature aquarium in Santa Monica, Ca was all sold out. I contemplated the 60p, but I didn't think my IKEA dresser would hold it up. I really like the iwagumi style tank so I will be following those foot steps

Equipment:
ADA 45p
Eheim classic 2213
Clear homedepot 1/2" hose
Jardli Lily Inlet
VIV Lily outflow
Alan Le dual stage C02 regulator
5lb C02 tank
GLA Atomic bubble counter XL, Atomic inline diffuser, industrial check valve.
Hydor ETH 200

Hard scape:
Seiryu stone
ADA power sand special, Amazonia regular, Amazonia Powder.
(2"front -> 4" back)

I've hit a stump with what lighting I want to go with. I would really like to go t5ho, but the 2' 2 bulb fixture I was going to originally go with for the 60p will spill over too much light? I contemplated the Twin Star 450es, but I'm not too sure if that will be a suitable light for a hi light setup? My plans are to go with dhg-belem and some other tall stem hi light plants.
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hardscape looks good,a little bit to much substrate in the front( 2 inches are ok)
I would go with the Twin Star 450es,great light btw.i would like to by one for my self,but I have already 6 different led fixtures to choose from.
Cheers and good luck
Opare and Opare like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerclown View Post
Hardscape looks good,a little bit to much substrate in the front( 2 inches are ok)

I would go with the Twin Star 450es,great light btw.i would like to by one for my self,but I have already 6 different led fixtures to choose from.

Cheers and good luck

I just measured the front and it is at 2". Not sure why the pictures makes t look so thick? Also I was going to use my a80, but I just borrowed a apogee mq-200 par meter from a reef buddy. The results were not all too good for a high light setup. 54 par in the center and around 40 in the corners. Being that this a80 is 15w, would you think that the 22w 450es would bump me up around 80par? Trying to grow dhg belem maybe some pearl weed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

For Iwagumis you wanna be careful how much light you are pumping in since most of the plants are carpeting plants. Stems like pearl weed are pretty hardy and won't need tonnes of light, you A80 would be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice rocks what livestock are you planning to add?

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heres a time lapse of me putting together the hardscape. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAII42BBWyg
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Finally pulled the trigger on the flora I want for the tank. Went with three cups of Cuba since I want to start off with plenty so that it will fill in quicker. The three types of rotala will ,I hope with time, create a bushy transition from green to red. We'll see how it works out. I will be incorporating stem plants in my iwagumi; I feel that a plain iwagumi scape would get boring after some time.

Lastly, I ordered an Ada garden mat and hydor eth200 a week ago from AFA. For some reason Paypal decided to send them a eCheck? Takes 5 days to clear. Weird.

Anywho, I am off this weekend. hoping to get my co2 all hooked up along with the heater and Plant the scape.

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got the tank up and running today. Final piece of the puzzle hadn't come in yet, which was my ada garden mat. Ended up driving out to nature aquarium again, since they had one in stock. Didn't want to have to drain the tank once it did come, so i figured id make the hour and twenty minute drive out.

The thickness of my soil was really bothering me. So, i deiced to tank some out. In the process some of the super sand special ended up coming up, but once i layed down some amazonia special over it. You couldn't tell.

Tissue cultured plants from AFA came in yesterday, but due to work they had to sit in the corner of my room:/ After i got back today from Santa Monica i started planting! Front carpeting plant is HC-"Cuba". I picked up some dhg belem from nature aquarium that was also form AFA and tissue cultured, planted that infont/along the two back stones. Back right corner is HM. The back left corner is a mix of Rotala Macrandra sp. Mini butterfly, Rotala sunrise, Rotala rotundifolia green. What i am trying to accomplish with that back left corner is a slow transition form green to red. green/sunrise/red. well see how it turns out. I know i said this was going to be an iwagumi, yet I've incorporated much stem plant. I just knew i would get bored of such a plain scape.

From there i moved on to linking all the vital pieces of equipment together. I had originally went with a GLA atomic inline diffuser. I absoluetly hated it. Made my tank look like a soda can. Im assuming its because of its small size? Decided to part ways with it. Ran over to home depot and grabbed the materials needed to build an inline reactor. Let me just say that for 20$ in material, could have been cheaper but i chose to go with a brass barbed nipple for the co2 line, it is a night and day difference. I have no bubbles in my tank what so ever. Hydor ETH200 right after the outlet, water runs into the reactor, mixes with c02, then out the lily into the tank. c02 pressure is a 30psi working and I'm running 2bps. I couldn't figure our how to mount the reactor or heater up straight. I picked up some commander strips that are rated for 10lbs. Stuck them to the back of my Ikea Malm 3 drawer dresser and they hold up strong! C02 and light are on timers(Co2 comes on at 2pm;shuts off at 10pm. Light is on at 4pm; shuts off at 12pm). Excuse the mess, still need to organize the wires.

All in all i am very happy thus far. As expected, water is cloudy. Heres a front shot. Even with everything attached to the filter. Flow has not been affected one bit.

Opare, Opare, nel and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like you are off to a good start!

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Happy to announce that the tank is going well. The only melting I am having is the yellow leaves on the baby tears that were already starting to melt when they came in. I was a bit skeptical about the rotala sp mini. Since it was in bad shape. Today I came home from work to find that it is perked up and starting to recolor! All other plants are perky and pearling. Water has cleared up as well. Front shots of the tank from my iPhone seven plus don't come out too well. I'll have to have a buddy come over and snap some photos.

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So far the tank has been doing absolutely awesome. I'm giving credit too the rodi water I've been using. Water at its purest form has allowed me to dictate what exactly enters. So far I have been dosing nilocg iron, micro and macro liquid ferts along with his GH booster. The extra iron has been for the red plants and oh boy have they popped in color. So far I have been changing out 50% of the water everyday. I will be cutting down to every other day now. So far, I have noticed my red plants really come back to life. Rotola green, sunrise, sp mini and pearl weed have fluffed plenty. Also, have started to send out runners. Baby tears have also shown progress. A small amount of leaves have had melt back, but nothing major. Really wish I had a better camera. My drop checker with 4dkh fluid is at a lime ish yellowish color. I have no live stock, which has enabled me to crank up the c02.

Opare, Opare, Hephaestus and 3 others like this.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:10 AM
Algae Grower

Looks gorgeous! Really like the red rotala. It ads a nice touch to the scape.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

How tall is your stand? I was looking into a hydor eth 200 but seems that I have no space for it to put it vertical between eheim and lily pipes.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Beautiful work on the tank, and glad to see Nature Aquarium get some attention: I love that store. Is there an article discussing the CO2 reactor you built? I'm curious if that wouldn't work for my situation.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
How tall is your stand? I was looking into a hydor eth 200 but seems that I have no space for it to put it vertical between eheim and lily pipes.

It's an IKEA malm 3 door dresser.. not sure on how tall it is?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode