Emersed Planted Tote - The Planted Tank Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emersed Planted Tote

So I am starting a journal on setting up a clear tote that I will be growing some plants in. Right now my 60 gallon tank has plants that are growing so fast I am having to trim multiple times a week. Many of the trimmings are of some very good plants and do not want to throw away. Which I can then give away to those on this forum in need for free(minus shipping). I will also use this to grow some new plants.

I got this great idea from @BettaBettas thank you. Hopefully mine will grow as good as yours . For now just have pics of setting up the tote with a thin layer of good ol organic dirt (1") then topped with some Osmocote plus then another 3" of dirt. I will be doing some trimmings either later today or tomorrow to put in the tote.

I will be going to local hardware store to get a couple clamp on lights with some plain ol bulbs as the light. It will be growing in my garage. Anyway thanks for checking it out and always up for tips and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x0769, x0769, BettaBettas and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I forgot I had a spare light. An aquaneat that was my first plant light before knowing better. Not good enough for my 60 gallon but hoping good enough for this tote project. Got some cuttings in and water in. See how it goes

Now just need some more pearlweed

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
This is a good start, but I see some room for inprovment. If you are open to input, check out this video I made showing how I had the most success growing plants emersed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bK_kfbLN3M
x0769, x0769, Rhenerie and 9 others like this.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Now just need some more pearlweed

About to do a major, trim surprisingly enough. I say surprising due to the timing, still don't have my bank switched over yet sadly, stupid bank people lol. Anyway if you grab some leftover you had (dead or alive) in the tank just plant it in there, will grow 100 percent no doubt (unless its a dead looking one, that's like fifty percent lol)
Looks good btw!
Sean did mention great things in his video that even I some day soon can accomplish, one thing he said that I forgot to mention is the heat in the tank / bucket. It will get very hot like I said if you put it outside, sometimes reaching 120 degrees inside of it. What I do in that circumstance with my bucket is I crack the lid about 2" and put a fan on it, humidity stays inside but lowers slightly which isn't a problem for most plants if the humidity drops slightly.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

Last edited by BettaBettas; 04-09-2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: .
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
This is a good start, but I see some room for inprovment. If you are open to input, check out this video I made showing how I had the most success growing plants emersed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bK_kfbLN3M

That is a really nice setup. I will probably get the better compact lights like you have. On a budget so used what I had at the house pretty much. Your setup is really good. Thanks very much for sharing that video. Definitely gave me ideas for sure.

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Also had an extra temp gauge. Amazing how much extra stuff I forgot I had lol. Now just need a humidity gauge. Still cool in there due to just setting up and closing lid just not too long ago. It's in the garage. Will see how it does in there.

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Emersed Planted Tote

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
About to do a major, trim surprisingly enough. I say surprising due to the timing, still don't have my bank switched over yet sadly, stupid bank people lol. Anyway if you grab some leftover you had (dead or alive) in the tank just plant it in there, will grow 100 percent no doubt (unless its a dead looking one, that's like fifty percent lol)
Looks good btw!
Sean did mention great things in his video that even I some day soon can accomplish, one thing he said that I forgot to mention is the heat in the tank / bucket. It will get very hot like I said if you put it outside, sometimes reaching 120 degrees inside of it. What I do in that circumstance with my bucket is I crack the lid about 2" and put a fan on it, humidity stays inside but lowers slightly which isn't a problem for most plants if the humidity drops slightly.

Will try and grab some of the PW that I already have in tank. Great suggestion. Also ya good thing he and you brought up the temp deal. Just setup a temp monitor so will see what it sets at. Will crack lid if need be. Will see tomorrow once it's settled in what it's at. Thanks for the great tips both you and Sean. And thanks again @BettaBettas for this idea. Will help me save instead of throwing away perfectly good trimmings.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just got an idea what I am now going to do with this 55 acrylic tank. I bet you all can guess.

DigityDog70 and DigityDog70 like this.

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

wow, big and bad I like it lol!

Last edited by BettaBettas; 04-09-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Emersed Planted Tote

New setup. Brought inside due to still too cold at night in garage. Now at a good 80 degree inside with lid on.

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice!
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Is this a good temp? About 3 hours running and seems to be what it's at inside. I know Sean said in his video 85 but wondering if 78 works?

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

in my bucket I don't even pay attention to the temp. A temp of eighty to eighty five is ideal just off the top of my head because at a high temp like that the humidity/water can evaporate, get all over the tank and drip drop on the plants. 77 im sure is ok, but could be raised. How? not sure
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
in my bucket I don't even pay attention to the temp. A temp of eighty to eighty five is ideal just off the top of my head because at a high temp like that the humidity/water can evaporate, get all over the tank and drip drop on the plants. 77 im sure is ok, but could be raised. How? not sure

Makes sense. Maybe it will work itself up there but at least I'm close.

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 01:02 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Here is a long running thread with many other people who grow plants the same way you are: Beginner's Guide to starting your first Emersed setup!! - Plant Physiology & Emersed Culture - Aquatic Plant Central

Might be worth paging through to see how each person made out.

Zapins

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode