• 2 Post By klibs
  • 2 Post By Allaunis
  • 2 Post By Allaunis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 10 Gallon Low-Tech Journal

I've owned an aquarium for about 4 years now, went through all the dumb stuff us noobs always seem to do (didn't know about cycling tanks, didn't get a big enough aquarium for the fish, overstocked it, shoved plants in there and expected it to become a green masterpiece overnight, etc.). Well, its been a while now and after many nights sifting through the internet, I think I am finally prepared to begin a new and successful tank (I think...)

My old tank was set up for a couple of years without any serious issues but also no plant growth. Everything I put in melted within a couple months. I wondered why for so long but was too disheartened, and lazy, to look anything up. Well after my last plant melted away into oblivion, I decided to start again, and hopefully do this right. Below are my specs, please feel free to inspect and offer suggestions, I welcome any and all input. Thanks everyone!

Equipment:
  • Neotherm 50 Watt Heater
  • Zoo Med Nano 10 Canister Filter with some course sponge and ceramic pieces
  • 20" hood with one stock 15WT8 bulb
  • A handful of old aquarium gravel capped with 3" Eco-Complete
  • A chunk of Mopani wood
  • Some round river stones

Plants/Fish:
  • Su▀wassertang
  • Anubias Barteri Coffeefolia
  • Pygmy Chain Sword
  • Java Fern
  • Pennywort
  • Italian Vals
  • Bacopa Caroliniana
  • 1 Nerite Snail
  • Halfmoon Betta

Bump: Initial setup with one plant straggler from my old tank. I'm still surprised it lived for so long

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170331-224936.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	741410  

Name:	20170330_170404 (1).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	741418  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Planted Member

Looks like a great start! How long has it been planted for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May all your algae get eaten, and all your scales be slimy.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! Its been about 5 days lol. Nothing has gone horribly wrong yet though, so I'm cautiously optimistic

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Planted Member

Next time I plant my tank, I would love to plant it a bit more densely from the start. It eases the impatience a lot when you see more in the tank. Waiting for everything to fill in is so tedious. Lol. I'm thinking of my 20 gallon as a growout tank now.

That's one argument against 1-2-grow. Although on each plant I have purchased from a store that wasn't tropica, I have had a hitchhiker snail. So, I don't know what's worse. :p

May all your algae get eaten, and all your scales be slimy.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
planting heavily from the start will also help you balance things out A LOT at the beginning. a lot easier to avoid algae when you have lots of plants from day 1
kyle3 and kyle3 like this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by puriance View Post
Next time I plant my tank, I would love to plant it a bit more densely from the start. It eases the impatience a lot when you see more in the tank. Waiting for everything to fill in is so tedious. Lol. I'm thinking of my 20 gallon as a growout tank now.

That's one argument against 1-2-grow. Although on each plant I have purchased from a store that wasn't tropica, I have had a hitchhiker snail. So, I don't know what's worse. :p
I followed an online article about low-tech planted tanks and they suggested a butt-load of plants at the start. I just followed the article blindly but that makes a lot of sense, I hated waiting for my plants in my old tank to finally start growing in...and then melt away because I didn't know what I was doing. BTW, I am LOVING your 20 gallons under the sea thread, it is both informative and entertaining!

Yeah I had a ton of little snails in my old tank. I'm not sure if that was from the plants I was putting in there or if my nerite snail is actually a girl...I don't know, snail reproduction confuses me. Truth be told though, I actually get a kick out of the mini snails, I find them adorable :3

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
planting heavily from the start will also help you balance things out A LOT at the beginning. a lot easier to avoid algae when you have lots of plants from day 1
Awesome, that is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I always had trouble with algae on my older tanks. Like BAD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tank finally cycled (YAY!) I added in my betta and nerite snail who were chilling in a quarantine tank with my old filter and heater. They seem to be doing really well.

Did some pruning of dead leaves and a small bit of rearranging. It looks a lot healthier now.

A quick video of the tank: https://youtu.be/cXPF99kowo8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 9.15.09 AM.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	743937  

kyle3 and kyle3 like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My bacopa caroliniana was experiencing some pretty extensive melting on the bottom half, so I trimmed them and replanted. The scape is now seriously out of balance but hopefully they will grow back relatively soon. I also put about 5 root tabs throughout the tank, so hopefully that will improve growth a bit. Time will tell I guess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170416_130732.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	747521  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Removed a ton of the dying bacopa caroliniana. I left a few stragglers but I'm not sure if they will make it. My other plants seem to be doing really well, especially my dwarf lily pad, which is growing like a champ. I think it gained 4 inches in the last few days. Some java fern and pennywort got moved around to try and balance out the tank. Overall I'm really happy with the progress and quite surprised I haven't had any algae issues. I've added in 5 amano shrimp just to be safe though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170425_173809.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	750698  

Name:	20170419_182252.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	750706  

Hephaestus and Hephaestus like this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A quick video update, lots of plants melted away, but the ones that survived are doing really well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWHOT0g0Vug&t=9s

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode